It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Sensation of something caught in throat

As I eat, and afterward, I have the distinct sensation that something is stuck in my throat, like the food hasn't all gone down. It's now an hour since I had breakfast, and I still feel like there's cereal in the back of my throat.

It's not like I have trouble swallowing, or food is coming back up. It's more an annoying sensation that begins as soon as I start swallowing and can last hours. This started two days ago after I ate pita chips, and I wonder if one of them could have gotten stuck.

However, for many years, and especially over the last couple of months, I've noticed that I choke more easily than other people, and that food seems to have trouble going down easily. I attributed this to genetics, as my father seems to have the same issue. However, the symptoms have changed in the last few days to this annoying sensation I described.

I also have moderate post-nasal drip which tends to make me hoarse by late in the day, and some GERD symptoms as well (not heartburn, but gurgling sounds up and down my esophagus).

I'm going to the doctor today to see if he can find anything wrong with me.

Any thoughts on these symptoms?

Thanks.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
(female)

agm82 HB User
Re: Sensation of something caught in throat

My mother-in-law has been dealing with something very similar and after seeing 3 different doctors and being prescribed a load of different medications she was told that it was a muscle spasm in the little flap at the entrance to her esophagus. The doctor told her that coughing would only make it worse and that there really wasn't any type of treatment to make the feeling of something stuck in her throat go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I hope the doctor feels your neck.....I felt like that when I had thyroid nodules

Old 03-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

The doctor felt my neck and felt nothing wrong. It's now been nearly a week and I still have the sensation. Sometimes I feel like it's not my throat, but rather its behind my nose (if that makes sense). Above my throat. I've tried to poke my tongue back there but can't feel anything. The doctor didn't see anything when he looked in my throat.

Is it possible that I irritated the throat when I swallowed something sharp, and now every time I eat the same place gets irritated again? Or could I have a pill stuck back there?

I've had a lot of GERD symptoms, but also a lot of post-nasal drip symptoms, since this started. I've begun a course of Prilosec to see it that helps.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

did you take a pill without water?
i've heard of someone doing that and the pill got stuck and burned a hole in her esophagas and she needed surgery

Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

I have been taking a lot of pills lately, especially ibuprofen, as I'm recovering from surgery. Always with plenty of water, though.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

prob a stricture from reflux

Old 06-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
(female)

zarla HB User

You are describing exactly how I have been feeling for about a fortnight now. Sometimes mine goes enough to forget about it, but then the feeling its back.I do indeed get some small amount of food which doesn't always get swallowed.it just r there till I can clear it.I would be very interested to hear what your doctor says as I will make an appointment with mine as soon as I can.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

pills can be doing damage to throat also and stomach too could be a ulcer in stomach when my ulcers are bad i feel like something in my throat also - i go and get some mylanta and take it and it helps a lot

Closed Thread