It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
(male)

ZR1991 HB User
Constant Burping, Fatigue, Bloated, Stomach Pain!! Please Help

I'll give you background information on my situation, I recently spent a month working in Kenya. During my time there my stomach didn't feel right, but I attributed it to the environment I was in and thought I would be ok upon returning to the States. When I left Africa, and returned to the states I took a stool sample test to make sure everything was OK, but it did turn out I had a stomach infection from high lactoferrin levels.

I was prescribed an antibiotic for a week which I took. It's been over a month now and my condition has actually gotten much worse. At this point aI burp uncontrollably throughout the day, I get so tired it's difficult for me to leave the house, I have this bloating as if it feels my stomach might explode sometimes. I have had stomach inflammation over a year ago in which I had diarrhea constantly and was prescribed an anti biotic for a month for but once I took that I was OK. I do feel like I was left with Post infection IBS from over a year ago as I do get gassy at times and have a more sensitive stomach, but I've never had any symptoms like what I'm having now.

I recently had a colonoscopy and blood work done over a week ago to try and find the issue, but everything came back just fine. Even my GI doctor said he didn't find an infection, but he is still concerned for me because he even notices I've lost 20 pounds in the last two month (I was already pretty skinny to begin with).

I'm getting desperate, I have no idea what's causing this, I've had to withdraw from school for the semester, I'm back home with my family, and my conditions seem to worsen every day even with sticking to a strict diet.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ traveled before and think I may have picked something up while in Africa that is hard to diagnose. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I want to get my life back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
(male)

ZR1991 HB User
Re: Constant Burping, Fatigue, Bloated, Stomach Pain!! Please Help

Does anyone have any advice at all? It's been two months since I've finished traveling and my symptoms continue to get worse. I've been tested for every GI disease including Gastroparesis and everything came back negative. I went to an infectious disease doctor and still nothing. I am currently taking antibiotics for parasites, but that's because I requested them and I have seen no improvement since I begun taking them. I'm entering the level of desperation, I felt completely healthy before I left for Africa, and now my health is withering away.. I have such bad fatigue I can rarely leave the house.

I'm only 21 years old, but I can't continue like this, my conditions is getting worse and worse and no one can find whats wrong at this point. Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It does sound like you've explored an awful lot of possibilities already. Did the infectious disease doc have any experience with travel medicine? Some of the infections people pick up in Africa are not like anything they'd expect to see here. You could try an actual travel medicine clinic.

I assume you had upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, maybe barium swallow? Is it possible that your fatigue is partly due to lack of nutrients? I have digestive issues, too, and for me the hardest part is getting enough to eat. Can you manage Ensure or Boost or something like that? Are any medications helping? Tried any?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
(male)

ZR1991 HB User

Great to hear from you Jane, and yes at this point I've had all those tests done, and the fatigue could be due to lack of nutrients but it comes in waves. I'll be full of energy for an hour and then the burping will start and before I know it I'm so tired I can barely get out of the shower. I am currently drinking Ensure to get some extra calories in, and I'm back to eating three meals a day as well, but my weight stays the same or I still lose a few pounds even though I should be putting weight back on.

I'm currently just finished an antibiotic for giardia parasites, but have yet to see an improvement so far, if anything my stomach took a beating from the medication. I was taking prilosec before that for the burping but that had little effect.

I never even knew there was a travel medicine clinic but it's definitely something I'll look into. If you have any other suggestions/advice that'd be great. Thanks for the reply, made me feel so much better to at least hear from someone!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
(male)

ZR1991 HB User

Ah thank you for the reply Jane, yes I've had all those tests done as you've mentioned. I've regained my appetite, so I've been eating 3 meals a day again with ensure as well but I continue to lose a bit of weight, when I should be putting weight back on since I've lost so much, so it seems like there's some malabsorption going on there.

My fatigue comes in waves, I'll be full of energy for an hour, and then I'll start burping and out of nowhere I'll become so tired I can't get myself out of the shower.

No one has ever suggested the medical travel clinic but it's definitely something I'll look into.

I appreciate your response so much, it means a lot to hear back from someone so thank you! If you have any other advice/suggestions that'd be great as well.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
(female)

Cindy89 HB User

Hi
Your story sound like mine. I also travelled to Africa and when I came back two months later, I started having tummy problems. Mine is gas, pain and body aches especially lower back. I was diagnosed with h.pylori. Been on antibiotics twice but the problem persist. Did they test you for pylori? If you see the travel clinic let us know if they were able to help.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Malabsorption would not be a good thing. Try actually counting your calories for a few days. If you document how much you are eating, it's easier for the doctor to tell whether you are losing weight that you shouldn't be losing.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
(male)

ZR1991 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion Jane. And yes I have been tested for h pylori as well but it came up negative. I already went and scheduled myself an appointment with a travel medical clinic in my area so hopefully they can offer me something.

I was given a course of antibiotics for giardia, and am taking prilosec for my constant burping. But I've finished my antibiotics and they did more harm than good as it tore my stomach up.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
After taking Antibiotice on a number of occasions, its most likely you have Candida. This is quite common after Antibiotics.
Diflucan would help and its always a good practice to get yourself on good quality Probiotics.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
haeley47 (04-26-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
(male)

ZR1991 HB User

Hey the only issue is I had this condition long before I took antibiotics. The chronic belching didn't happen until I was in Africa and has only worsened since I left. Some people have mentioned GERD, but I can't see myself getting that from just traveling..

Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

If you havent already been tested,
I strongly reccomend you get tested for H.Pylori. I burped constantly when I had that and I do the same with my Hiatal-Hernia.

Solofelix.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
haeley47 (04-26-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
(male)

ZR1991 HB User

Yes I've been tested or H.Pylori as well and it was negative. I've had every GI test possible and nothing has turned up. With the parasites antibiotic I was on my fatigue has thankfully gone away for now, but my digestive problems are still going on.

It's actually very hard for me to pass gas, I just burp everything back up. It's extremely frustrating and like I said this didn't happen until I left for Africa

Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,
Candida can cause all sorts of issues, look it up.
I'm burping like crazy and my stomach is like a washing machine. Could be H.Pylori again.
Hope you find an answer and good luck,

Solofelix.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #14
(male)

marasanov HB User

Hi ZR1991,

My symptoms look excactly the same as yours do.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-03-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Closed Thread