It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
(male)

88til HB User
False positive result using EZDetect due to eating red meat?

Due to some abdominal discomfort that I've been having for the past few months or so, I decided to purchase a EZDetect Fecal Stool Test Kit to get an idea of anything bleeding in my GI tract. Mind you, the pamphlet in the kit states that no special preparation or diet is required (it allows you to still ear red meat & vitamin C).. So I decided to go on & proceed with testing myself.

I tested my first two bowel movements on 3/13 & 3/14.. and both came out to be negative - I had eaten plenty of chicken, tortillas, salsa & had a few bananas prior to having the two bowel movements.

However, today (3/15)... I tested my 3rd & last bowel movement & the test strip showed up positive. I was surprised to see the result, as my first two were negative. I'm aware that with other fecal occult stool tests that require handling of specimens, there is a special diet that must be followed & one of the cardinal rules is to not eat any red meat (beef, pork, rare steak). The previous day, I had eaten a good amount of beef & broccoli for lunch, and also had a beef & pork burrito for dinner that filled me up, to say the least.

Do you think that what I had eaten the day before could've caused this result? I'm trying hard not to doubt the makers of the testing kit & what they stated about not having to restrict red meat & vitamin C.. but I feel that a false positive result could've resulted from what I had ate?

Is there anyone here that has had this experience or has any input on the matter? I decided that I would buy another kit to test myself again... but the next time around, I will adhere to a special diet that most fecal occult tests require & see if that makes a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread