It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

Lynva HB User
Question Is wine a remedy for esophageal stenosis (kind that stops food going down)?

I've had a swallowing problem (esophageal stenosis better described as a kink in the esophagus that keeps your food from going down in a normal manner) for 2 or 3 years. It's getting worse lately and I'm desperate to find some help. However, I DO NOT wish to have my esophagus dilated.

My niece mentioned to me that she knows a lady who had this swallowing problem and her doctor told her to drink some wine with meals and this should cause the food to go down easily. The amount of wine used is unknown to me.

I've never been a drinker but if the wine would help me get my food down I believe it would be worth a try.

Has anyone reading this post heard of the wine remedy and if so did it work for you?

If it did, please advise what kind of wine (red, white, etc.) and amount you use and if you find it necessary to use it at every meal or if perhaps using it at one meal a day helps your swallowing.

Thanks for any information anyone can offer.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: Is wine a remedy for esophageal stenosis (kind that stops food going down)?

I wish I had an answer for you about the wine, but I have a few questions instead.

I have some kind of abnormal motility (not sure exactly what kind) that was identified when my gastroenterologist performed an endoscopy. At the same time, my esophagus was dilated, but I'm not so sure it helped too much. What are the treatments that you have tried to help alleviate this problem?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #3
(female)

Lynva HB User

KitKat880, I appreciate your response to my question.

I have had no treatment of any kind relative to my swallowing problem. The one thing I'll not do is have the esophageal dilation. My mother and my brother both had the same problem I have and both of them had the dilation countless times.

What I do know is that if you will take the time to chew your food until it is mush and eat slowly you will probably be able to get it down. Need I say that this method is very time consuming?

I also read somewhere that drinking warm drinks would help with this problem and it seems to have helped me. I drink an spiced apple cider drink and hot chocolate for the most part. Hot tea would of course be just as good.

KitKat880, I sincerely hope that you will be able to live with your situation and will find a way to do so. My heart goes out to you in your frustration.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lynva For This Useful Post:
KitKat880 (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
(female)

Lynva HB User

KitKat880, I appreciate your response to my question.

I have had no treatment of any kind relative to my swallowing problem. The one thing I'll not do is have the esophageal dilation. My mother and my brother both had the same problem I have and both of them had the dilation countless times.

What I do know is that if you will take the time to chew your food until it is mush and eat slowly you will probably be able to get it down. Need I say that this method is very time consuming?

I also read somewhere that drinking warm drinks would help with this problem and it seems to have helped me. I drink an spiced apple cider drink and hot chocolate for the most part. Hot tea would of course be just as good.

KitKat880, I sincerely hope that you will be able to live with your situation and will find a way to do so. My heart goes out to you in your frustration.

Closed Thread