It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
(male)

Dr3amer HB User
Maloabsorption of fat and GERD?

Hello,
I am an exchange student from Europe. This year, I am studying and living in a small college in Iowa.
I have got digestion problems here. Even If I exercise (running plus working out) and live very healthy (I don't eat fried food, try to eat a lot of vegetable, fruit, oatmeal etc.)
In November, I started to have a regular, very, very smelly gas. I was thinking there is a problem in diet. I was trying many diet recommendations and nothing helped. I couldn't identify food which causes my problems. I still had very smelly gas. I didn't have any diarrhea. However, I noticed that my stool was getting sometimes lighter (some kind of color between yellow, green and brown).
I was farting more and more often. I felt bloated. Nevertheless, some days were totally ok and my digestion worked ok and I didn't feel any problems. However, usually, it didn't last for long time. Something happened /I ate a trigger meal or something/ and during next following days, I had gas almost after every meal after every meal. 1-2 following day were ok and something happened and my problem was here again. In this time, I didn't have absolutely any heartburn. Only a few times, I felt that mouth is very acid and two times I woke up with absolute dry mouth. So I went to doctor. He sent me for endoscopy. A few days before endoscopy, I overate and got some heartburn. During the ENDOSCOPY, doctor found me GERD and gave me pills for GERD. Biopsy was ok.
Now, I have strong GERD symptoms and I am taking Aciphex (Rabeprazole). I am following the diet and wasn't eating any fat last 6 days (I ate like 0-2 grams of fat per mail) and I didn't gas. 3 hours ago, I tried to eat a few almonds and 2 oatmeal cookies (aprox 15 grams of fat) and in 30 minutes I started to be bloated and have very smelly gas again (without any heartburn). I am afraid that my main problem is malabsorption of fat (something can be wrong with pancreas, livers or biliary duct), which just contributed to my GERD. What do you think? Is it possible? Or are very smelly gas and lighter stool after consumption of fat just normal symptoms of GERD?
Thank you for help!

Dr3amer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread