It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle0309 HB User
Severe Constipation

I am 22 and have been suffering from severe constipation for at least the past 8 years, but it has gotten worse the past 4 years. I can go weeks without going and I have to have something like Miralax to help me. I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 20 and was put on Metformin, Spironolactone for insulin resistance and Levothyroxine for minimal thyroid results. In the past 6 months I have lost 20 pounds, now at 140 and 5'4 in hieght through diet changes and on and off exereice (busy schedule). I went to a GI doctor last year and he acted as if it was no big deal and suggested miralax and citricul. This did work, but the longer I take it the less effective it has become, and it has become expensive, I spend $20 dollars a week on the Miralax (alot for a college student). I do not want to deal with this for the rest of my life and have become very discouraged reading post from others who have experienced the same issues. Need help and good advise!

Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Severe Constipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle0309 View Post
I am 22 and have been suffering from severe constipation for at least the past 8 years, but it has gotten worse the past 4 years. I can go weeks without going and I have to have something like Miralax to help me. I was diagnosed with PCOS at the age of 20 and was put on Metformin, Spironolactone for insulin resistance and Levothyroxine for minimal thyroid results. In the past 6 months I have lost 20 pounds, now at 140 and 5'4 in hieght through diet changes and on and off exereice (busy schedule). I went to a GI doctor last year and he acted as if it was no big deal and suggested miralax and citricul. This did work, but the longer I take it the less effective it has become, and it has become expensive, I spend $20 dollars a week on the Miralax (alot for a college student). I do not want to deal with this for the rest of my life and have become very discouraged reading post from others who have experienced the same issues. Need help and good advise!
I have had chronic constipation problems all my life and I am almost fifty-one years old. I do understand the pain and agony of not being able to have a bowel movement without laxatives and excessive straining and forcing yourself to have a bowel movement. I can tell you that having an under active thyroid gland and being on the medication makes you more prone to having constipation along with other medications that you are on that have constipation as one of the side effects. I was born with an under active thyroid gland and have been on medication for it since I was six weeks old. Our period makes it even worse and especially if you have bad cramps and take Advil every 4 hours around the clock for the first 4 days of your period.
This is what I do everyday to keep myself from getting constipated:
1. I eat a high fiber diet 25-35 grams a day.
2. I drink at least 64 oz. a day of water.
3. I sit on the toilet everyday at the same time for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement.(Yes,even on the weekends !) I do this even before I get into the shower or eat breakfast. I do slow deep breathing exercises to help the muscles to relax to make it easier to go. It's painless !
4. I don't allow myself to go more than 36 hours without having moved my bowels or it hurts to go the next time I do have to go. I use a glycerin suppository to soften the stools in my rectum so it doesn't hurt as much to go and then I don't have to strain.
5. I sure hope and pray you will try this routine so you don't have to endure the pain and agony of constipation the rest of your life. i sure wish i had done this years a go and saved myself a lot pain and misery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
constipation