It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

betzee HB User
Is GB removal indicated?

I'm a fit, normal weight, 49 year old woman...i've always had low level digestive issues which i've had to accomodate dietarily. (no ice cream after meals, etc...small meals...lots of veggies) anway, last year i suddenly lost my appetite and found myself unable to eat much of anything. Every now a then I'd feel a dull pain under my right shoulder blade. Often, esp in the morning, my breath was foul. (according to my poor husband!) a bunch of tests were done: blood, US, EUS, and HIDA. The HIDA scan revealed an EF of 24%, and GB removal was recommended, but by that time (~1 month) I'd started regaining my appetite little by little (ate mostly steamed veggies and fresh veggie juices) so I decided against surgery. After about 2 months, I was completely back to normal and felt bad for harassing my GI doctor

Fast forward to March 15th 2012: Same thing--very SUDDENLY, no appetite...but this time the upper right back pain and pain under my right rib were much more pronounced. I went on the same diet as I'd implemented last year--mostly steamed/blended veggies...and after about 10 days things started looking up. Then, about 2 weeks later, before I was fully back to normal (but had started cautiously eating "regular foods") the problem hit again but this time MUCH worse. So from April 9th until today, Aptil 22nd, I've had consistent (though still intermittent) RUQ pain, ZERO appetite, and whenever I try to eat something "normal," like a piece of feta cheese, I have stomach discomfort, a pressing, dull, pain under my right rib, and very bad flatulence from about 1.5 hours on. The RUQ back pain isn't so prominent at these times, but resumes eventually. Still have the foul breath, appears sort of unpredictably. What on earth is going on? What other tests might be indicated? (Oh--had an MRI of the liver based on symptoms and a mildly elevated AST--it revealed only benign hemangiomas. Also repeated HIDA w/ CCK, which revealed 33% EF and *mildly* replicated symptoms.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Re: Is GB removal indicated?

I also had a low EF on a hida scan. In fact, they had a difficult time finding my gb on the hida. After a cup of water and some walking around, they finally found it. The cck injection made me incredibly sick.

Symptoms were constant nausea, urq pain, back pain on right side as well. No gallstones on ultrasound. I had the gallbladder out. I definitely feel better than I did before I had it removed, but I still have issues. Have to take a PPI or I get nausea. Still get pain on both left and right sides just at the bottom of my rib cage.

Based on your history, and I'm no doctor, but it sounds like gallbladder removal is in order. If you want to be sure it's your gallbladder, order yourself a big fat greasy cheeseburger. If you're miserable in 20 minutes, you know it's your gallbladder.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
(female)

Royalhobbit21 HB User

I endured gallbladder problems for 5 months until finally they found out what was wrong with me. One doctor said it couldn't be my gallbladder, one said it was gastritis but still, I endured more pain. I've always been healthy so I never thought at 21 years old I would have surgery to have my gallbladder removed. After dealing with incredibly painful sensations under my right rib and having back pain, enough was enough. I was able to see a gastroenterologist who said I needed a "hida scan" done to determine if it was my gallbladder. When I had the scan done, my whole body felt as if it was on fire and for days after, my body still hurt. This was around Christmas too so you can imagine none of this was fun for me.

My gastroenterologist told me my gallbladder was working below normal and that I could either have it removed, or live with the pain. My pain was so on and off sometimes it happened after I ate, or when I woke up. I did notice it happened after I ate fatty foods (something I rarely eat) or very spicy foods. I had my gallbladder removed February 4th, 2012 and since then I feel amazing. No longer do I live with that horrid pain and I recovered so well, I can still eat all the things I did before. I also contribute this to working out 4-5 times a week and eating healthy foods. For some people, your pain may go away for a long time but then creep back up on you. Sometimes my pain would go away for 3 days and then bam, it's back. I too would suggest eating something fatty and see how you feel. If it is your gallbladder, I would highly suggest having it removed because trust me, you will feel so much better.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalhobbit21 View Post
I endured gallbladder problems for 5 months until finally they found out what was wrong with me. One doctor said it couldn't be my gallbladder, one said it was gastritis but still, I endured more pain. I've always been healthy so I never thought at 21 years old I would have surgery to have my gallbladder removed. After dealing with incredibly painful sensations under my right rib and having back pain, enough was enough. I was able to see a gastroenterologist who said I needed a "hida scan" done to determine if it was my gallbladder. When I had the scan done, my whole body felt as if it was on fire and for days after, my body still hurt. This was around Christmas too so you can imagine none of this was fun for me.

My gastroenterologist told me my gallbladder was working below normal and that I could either have it removed, or live with the pain. My pain was so on and off sometimes it happened after I ate, or when I woke up. I did notice it happened after I ate fatty foods (something I rarely eat) or very spicy foods. I had my gallbladder removed February 4th, 2012 and since then I feel amazing. No longer do I live with that horrid pain and I recovered so well, I can still eat all the things I did before. I also contribute this to working out 4-5 times a week and eating healthy foods. For some people, your pain may go away for a long time but then creep back up on you. Sometimes my pain would go away for 3 days and then bam, it's back. I too would suggest eating something fatty and see how you feel. If it is your gallbladder, I would highly suggest having it removed because trust me, you will feel so much better.
I had my gallbladder out and I definitely felt better afterwards. I must confess, my digestive system has never been the same. I have to take omeprazole every day or I get nausea. I do eat whatever I want, but find I will pay for that greasy burger the next day! LOL! I make sure I am home the next day if I go that route! I'm still glad I had the gallbladder removed. That pain was relentless and nothing made the 24/7 nausea go away.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
(female)

Royalhobbit21 HB User

Oh definitely, the pain is something I am so glad I no longer live with too! I remember the first week after I had surgery, I was so scared I would constantly use the bathroom like everyone had told me. Surprisingly even now I don't have to run to the bathroom even after I eat fatty foods. I know some people say age is a factor, health, or eating habits but I'm not sure. All I knew was if I had to deal with bathroom issues that it's better then dealing with the pain of having my gallbladder, haha.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User

Agreed! You're lucky fatty foods don't bother you. They tend to send me running! Small price to pay.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrzgrl64 View Post
I had my gallbladder out and I definitely felt better afterwards. I must confess, my digestive system has never been the same. I have to take omeprazole every day or I get nausea. I do eat whatever I want, but find I will pay for that greasy burger the next day! LOL! I make sure I am home the next day if I go that route! I'm still glad I had the gallbladder removed. That pain was relentless and nothing made the 24/7 nausea go away.

I totally agree - I had the surgery over a year ago and have absolutely no regrets! My digestive system is not the same yet either, greasy, spicy foods are still a big problem for me, but it beats the heck out of that awful 24/7 pain, nausea and suffering!

Closed Thread