It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
(male)

albero HB User
Gastroparesis without stomach symptoms???

Hello everyone. I recently just went for an endoscopy after having 2 months of upper chest tightness, palpitations, and occasional shortness of breath. I have cleared all cardiac tests (EKG, Stress test, echocardiogram, and holter monitor), so I decided to get an endoscopy because I was getting desperate. I thought maybe I had a hiatal hernia that was causing the upper chest pain. Anyways, I had the endoscopy after fasting 9 hours, and the doctor stated afterwards that the endoscopy was clear, but he saw food in my stomach and ordered me to have a gastric emptying study done next week. This caught me off guard because I know most people with gastroparesis have issues with food, correct? None of my symptoms are increased or come about with the ingestion of food. As a matter of fact, I just had a burger for lunch and I felt fine. Is it possible to have gastroparesis and not have any symptoms related to food intake? I don't have nausea, I never vomit, I don't feel full after a few bites, I don't have a loss of appetite.........I read that food seen on an endoscopy is essentially enough for a diagnosis of gastroparesis even though a gastric emptying test is done to confirm, but I'm just confused. Any ideas/feedback? Thank you

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Gastroparesis without stomach symptoms???

Most people do experience nausea, but I do not.

My GP is relatively mild. For my gastric emptying study, the food was supposed to be digested in 90 minutes, but it took 108 minutes. This means I can eat normal meals, just not big meals.

Instead of nausea and bloating, I developed gastritis and acid reflux disease. Basically, the food didn't move down into the intestines fast enough, so it went back up the esophagus instead.

Get the emptying study done. Then try some medicines to improve GI motility. Upper chest tightness and shortness of breath CAN be digestive symptoms!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
(male)

albero HB User

Thanks for the info Jane, I appreciate it. Is an endoscopy enough to diagnosis GP? I did had a very large meal the night before my endoscopy, so could it just be some remnants of that?

Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If you ate more than 9 hours before the scope, it would be unusual for someone with normal stomach motility to still have food in there.

See what the emptying study shows.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
(male)

albero HB User

Hey...I just received my results from the GES and this was the report: http://i45.tinypic.com/a5i843.jpg . Is this something I should be happy about? I haven't discussed it with my GI doctor yet, so I don't know how to interpret it yet.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
(male)

albero HB User

I just had my GES study done and here were the results, but I'm not sure what to make of them. Any input?? Should I be happy with this?:

"Following the ingestion of 1 mCi of Tc99m sulfur colloid mixture with a solid, a gastric emptying study was performed. The time of half emptying was 87.9 minutes, which is within normal limits. There is no scintigraphic evidence of gastroparesis. IMPRESSION: NORMAL GASTRIC EMPTYING STUDY.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Interesting. It could be that the food left in your stomach during the scope was a fluke. See what the GI doctor says.

Closed Thread