It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

hizzy HB User
burning tummy after drinking apple cider vinegar

hi, everyone. a couple days ago, after eating a spicy meal, i had some minor heartburn. i do not typically eat anything spicy, and i rarely have heartburn. i wanted some tums, but didn't feel like running to the store. my boyfriend suggested i drink a tablespoon of ACV, as this always helps his heartburn. i wasn't sure about drinking it straight, mostly because of the taste, but he said he always does drink it straight. well, i wasn't very smart in following his advice because it felt like i'd drank battery acid! then i read on the internet that most people drink one tablespoon of vinegar mixed with three tablespoons of water to dilute the acid in the ACV, but that there isn't even any evidence that drinking ACV helps heartburn! i sure didn't get any relief and boy, do i wish i'd just gone to the store for some tums! two days later, my tummy still has a mild burn after i eat something oily. i've been okay with bland things like toast, rice, and yogurt. i had a carrot juice smoothie with yogurt in it this morning, and that was okay.

did i likely do damage to my stomach, or do i just have a bit of an acid burn that will heal? is there anything i should take or eat to help it feel better? i'm avoiding anything even mildly spicy and anything oily.

Last edited by hizzy; 05-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Old 05-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: burning tummy after drinking apple cider vinegar

It'll heal. A little vinegar won't do lasting damage. And now you know, vinegar is not the solution for you! Just pick up some Tums the next time you are at the store, so you have them if you need them.

If you don't have Tums and you're bothered by heartburn, you can always take 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and dissolve it in half a cup of water. It's not a good idea to use this remedy every day, due to the high salt content, but I've used it several times in a pinch.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
hizzy (05-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

hizzy HB User

thank you so much! i have used the baking soda in water remedy before with good results. this is the last time i listen to advice from my boyfriend though! he eats jabanero peppers without flinching, so i should have known better! i did pick up some rolaid softchews, and they have been helping my burning tummy a bit!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
(female)

sswaters HB User

The reason that the apple cider vineger burned was that you have an abbundance of acid in your stomach and that's why the baking soda works for you because baking soda nutralizes acid. Your boyfriend must not have enough acid in his stomach that's why the acv works for him. The symptoms of too much and not enough acid is actually the same, so its hard to know. Dr's are constantly giving prilosec and it doesn't help some people, this is because these people don't have TOO MUCH acid they don't have enough acid. Your body itself produces hcl , but some people don't have enough. You can buy hcl at a health food store to increase the acid in your stomach.

Closed Thread