It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
(male)

vegasgo HB User
Severe bloating

For a few weeks now I have suffered from extreme bloating. I eat well, have lost 4st in the past two years on a healty diet (approx two more to go to reach ideal weight) but cannot put my finger on what could cause my bloating.

I drink lots of diet Coke and water - and after reading that sodas cause bloating I have cut this out for the past 3 days, whilst reducing my calorie intake to 1000 a day (I am 6' 7" and know this is low), limiting carbs as well. Drinking only water, sweetened by lemon juice.

The result? Lost 4 more pounds, but the bloating is worse than ever. I don't have stomach cramps, bowels are fine, and I don't feel the need to pass wind. My belly just feels so heavy though. Otherwise I feel fine.

Could drinking too much water combined with low sodium intake be causing this? I am literally drinking 4-5 litres a day, and my sodium intake is barely anything - just been eating fruit, chicken, salads, bean shoots etc. Even before the start of this '3 day detox' I always watched my salt intake and never added extra to food.

I have read up on water intoxication, and whilst bloating is a symptom, I don't have any of the more serious ones. I am certainly not passing half the amount of water I'm drinking - my bladder is normal, hardly bursting all the time. My belly just feels full of fluid, though I have no swelling of joints to indicate water retention. I have read that your colon can expand if the water/sodium balance isn't right.

Thanks for listening - any advice appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User
Re: Severe bloating

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgo View Post
For a few weeks now I have suffered from extreme bloating. I eat well, have lost 4st in the past two years on a healty diet (approx two more to go to reach ideal weight) but cannot put my finger on what could cause my bloating.

I drink lots of diet Coke and water - and after reading that sodas cause bloating I have cut this out for the past 3 days, whilst reducing my calorie intake to 1000 a day (I am 6' 7" and know this is low), limiting carbs as well. Drinking only water, sweetened by lemon juice.

The result? Lost 4 more pounds, but the bloating is worse than ever. I don't have stomach cramps, bowels are fine, and I don't feel the need to pass wind. My belly just feels so heavy though. Otherwise I feel fine.

Could drinking too much water combined with low sodium intake be causing this? I am literally drinking 4-5 litres a day, and my sodium intake is barely anything - just been eating fruit, chicken, salads, bean shoots etc. Even before the start of this '3 day detox' I always watched my salt intake and never added extra to food.

I have read up on water intoxication, and whilst bloating is a symptom, I don't have any of the more serious ones. I am certainly not passing half the amount of water I'm drinking - my bladder is normal, hardly bursting all the time. My belly just feels full of fluid, though I have no swelling of joints to indicate water retention. I have read that your colon can expand if the water/sodium balance isn't right.

Thanks for listening - any advice appreciated.

maybe you messed up your digestive process by having a restricted diet for so long, less then 1000 calories if u did that for long enough you could have atrophied or shrunk the muscles. dont get offended just a suggestion. i have similiar issues and maybe mine were caused by restricted. you say your not passing wind now? if your problems progress like mine did soon you will be constipated and feel full really fast. i hope you figure it out and feel better though.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Bloating is usually caused by friendly intestial strains of bacteria becoming unfriendly and have to be re-balanced--- Using enteric coated probiotic capsules can help alot. the one use and it works is --Ultamate 10 Probiotics by the Vitamin Shoppe.

I wish you well---Harry

Old 06-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
(female)

Twisted Metal HB UserTwisted Metal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Bloating is usually caused by friendly intestial strains of bacteria becoming unfriendly and have to be re-balanced--- Using enteric coated probiotic capsules can help alot. the one use and it works is --Ultamate 10 Probiotics by the Vitamin Shoppe.

I wish you well---Harry

ive been using that exact same one, ultimate 10 probiotic from Vitamin Shoppe for about 2 and a half months. i keep it in the fridge and take one a day religiously just waiting and hopig it will take time to work. it has not helped me at all i am still constipated and bloated every day. just saying. maybe it'll help you though i hope it does.

Closed Thread