It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

tyler1234 HB User
can a partial tummy wrap b reversed

i'm 10 months post op partial tummy wrap that i don't think i needed as my reflux was managed fine with protonix for many years and i had a hernia fix; can't eat and living on shakes with zippo quality of life; my nausea is intolerable, daily, extreme, debilitating with intense stomach pains and forget swallowing as everything gets stuck; i either need an undo or a proper redo; can u just fix a hernia without wrapping tummy?

The following user gives a hug of support to tyler1234:
sjb (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: can a partial tummy wrap b reversed

Hi sometimes a tummy wrap can come undone on its own. I would be checking with a different surgeon real fast before there are further problems and or healing with scar tissue to see if he could do it and I would not use the same surgeon I would check the internet for a different 5 star rated surgeon that most or all of the patients seem to like and respect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
(female)

tyler1234 HB User

Is There a chance I won't make it thru this as that is how sick I feel yet no one sees it and this happens every day in this country. Do u know any surgeons in syracuse ny? Where on Internet do I find a 5 star one? Thx and god bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Hi sometimes a tummy wrap can come undone on its own. I would be checking with a different surgeon real fast before there are further problems and or healing with scar tissue to see if he could do it and I would not use the same surgeon I would check the internet for a different 5 star rated surgeon that most or all of the patients seem to like and respect.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I found that when doing an internet search a whole question can be put in a search window or a phrase such as (5 star stomach surgeons syracuse new york). Of course nearby towns might be used if that surgeon happens to be the one a person already had. Also a hospital that happens to be top in the nation can be also found the same way, by putting in which hospital is top in the nation. They have been ordered by some sites according to specialty even as to which is top etc. One can put in the search window (hospital reviews) or something similar. I found out that the top of the stomach is the place where the stomach registers that it is full. If this is wrapped around the esophagus in the wrap chances are it may register very full as in nausea. My sympathies and yeah I think I would want it back if it were me also.

Cabbage juice is said to be very healing to the stomach but I am not sure if I would use that if I were going to get it undone simply because if it healed in that position and the top being wrapped is the real cause there might simply be faster healing of the surgery into the position I simply did not want. I might wait until after the surgery. Most surgergies of any kind have potential for either better or worse. I am not sure about the success of the surgery being undone and I would definately get more than one consult on this one because when something like this is done it might not get better and of course potential to get worse. If it were me I would be doing a lot of fast research and question asking to many lay people and health professionals. There is more safety in the counsel of many.

I think I would want particular carefulness in the surgery around the stomach valve if there still is one. Also since cloth arteries were used in the past for aneurysms of blood vessels I might be asking the surgeon if a part of my own blood vessel (not animal grafts since these are not accepted well many times for rejection reasons) could be used as a potential valve. Some surgeons are specialized in nerve surgery and might even be able to attach the nerve of the valve to others, here again with potential to damage something that maybe should be left alone and at this moment in time might be considered experimental. Sometimes studies in animals are done first and the process of studying takes many years. Of course if it was considered experimental at this time they would probably say no.

Some people have found that if they know they will eventually throw up anyway, a glass of water can be taken just before to dilute the stomach acid. This makes it just a bit more comfortable in the awful process by diluting the acid so it does not hurt so bad. Most of the time under normal conditions food should not be put with water so the stomach acid can work on and digest the food. Okra if well tolerated and some other slippery or mucousy foods might help contribute to the mucous barrier of the stomach and help stop any damage from the burning acids and I would be trying it in reasonable amounts.

With most surgeries even supposedly minor ones they usually make a person make a signature that they understand that death might be involved in it so yeah there is that potential unfortunately, one could get a stroke, or infection. On the other hand being miserable with vomiting that has potential to starve a person slowly is no fun prospect either. The surgeon can be asked these questions also to get more information. I am sorry the truth has to be so ugly this time Of course if the outcome is good then one is better in the end. The lay people might give a better opinion of what happened to them and if they liked the result of an undoing. In the past I have liked to obtain information from lay people who I associate with and ask questions. Many times if they don't know the answers to questions they can refer me to a person who had my condition or a professional who was able to answer my questions on a friendship or acquiantance basis. Many times they deal with the questions on a non-paying basis this way. I like to educate myself in various ways, that way I find out what happened to other people in the process.

Last edited by sjb; 05-27-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: additions made

Closed Thread