It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

katerina1 HB User
Chronic diarrhoea after Nissen surgery

Hi all. I'm posting this in the hope that someone can help me again. In September 2010 I had a Nissen fundoplication op to fix chronic acid reflux that had been killing my insides for years. The op was a last resort but worked a treat. I had the full wrap and two years on there in no reflux and no need of meds. I'm no longer anaemic from the disease and I can't ever be sick. Great. But now I suffer from chronic diarrhoea on a daily basis and no one seems to help. I tested for everything like coeliacs and pancreatitis and stuff but nothing. I gurgle like mad and the only thing I know is that certain foods seem to make it worse. Sweet stuff kills me. I can hear fluid sloshing round inside and then it's a quick dash.

I have really had enough now of running out from meetings in work and planning my days so I know where the nearest toilet is. Its grim.

Has anyone got any advice ? Anyone suffered the same After Nissen surgery ? I am really fed up of it.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
(female)

smileyface2012 HB User
Re: Chronic diarrhoea after Nissen surgery

Hi Katerina,

I had the fundo almost 2 months ago and I am still having Diarrhea all the time. I still have issues eating most things and have basically living on Cottage Cheese. I am not sure normal or abnormal it is to still have so many bowel issues but it is very depressing at times. I eat something and within a few minutes my stomache is gurgling and churning and hurting and then out it comes. My life now revolves around where I am going and if there is a bathroom available. So I feel your pain. My Dr tells me it is normal and may or may not go away. I just wish I would have known before I decided on the surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

katerina1 HB User

Hey there Smileyface
great to hear from you tho sorry to hear you too are having trouble after nissen. I had a lot of troubles immediately post op, and those settled.... so hang in there. Believe me the op was tough going, but I'd still rather the diarrhoea than throwing up every seven days for 48hrs at a time - the damage I was doing to myself was severe.

You said your doc said the troubles you have may or may not go away.... did you get any advice on ways to help? dont know about you but I never had any advice on nutrition other than to keep it soft for 6 weeks or so, and then add meat and bread in. That was it.

I really hope you feel better soon..... Keep reading on this site - I learned more about life after nissen on here than I did from any so-called expert. Its those who have gone through it who truly get it, dont you think ?

Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
(male)

denny666 HB User

Hello Folks,

I had the same surgery a year ago and am having similar problems...I hear the liquids sloshing around and loud gurgles, and I have chronic diahrrea, gas and bloating...I feel full if I eat a little or a lot...am going for a study tomorrow...it is uncomfortable...but no more acid reflux...let's talk some more...

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
(female)

Godsgirlrae HB User

Hi,
I am 3 weeks out and I am going through the same thing. I had IBS before the surgery but this is worse. I am afraid to go anywhere after I eat because I know that my window to the bathroom is very limited. I am also haveing feelings of nausea and i am having a hard time finding things that I can eat. I have the sensation that I need to burp often but I can't and then their is the gas. I hope there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Last edited by Godsgirlrae; 08-28-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

jennersue HB User

I am 3 weeks out of lap nissen also and having the same problems with food. I eat, my stomach goes crazy, I get hot/flush and then I'm running to the bathroom. From what I read, I believe this to be "dumping syndrome". It's a very miserable way to exist and has made me very weak in the last week. The things I am doing to control it:
1. Eat very small meals every 2-3 hour
2. Avoid simple sugars (cake, cookies, sugary drinks)
3. Avoid or limit carbohydrates. I have learned that I can eat bread if it's whole wheat and very small quantities.
4. Avoid drinking lots of liquids with meals. This one is tough because post-nissen we're told to drink plenty of fluids to help food go down. I take small sips of sugar-free drinks instead of taking very large amounts.

I also have cholestyramine that does help if needed. Hope this helps and I pray that this improves with time. I had a Nissen because I wanted a normal life and I'm hoping to find that soon!

Closed Thread

Tags
diarrhoea, dumping syndrome, nissen fundoplication