It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User
Swallowing issue - endoscopy reveals nothing

After three months of feeling like food wasn't properly going down my throat, and having a couple of scary choking episodes where the food eventually went down, I had an upper endoscopy last week.

Going into the procedure, I was worried, of course, especially because my doctor had asked me questions about cancer history in my family and whether I'd been losing weight. I've had acid reflux issues for probably 20 years, so I was fearing that my esophagus was damaged or even pre-cancerous or worse. I'm 41, by the way, and a non-smoker in good health.

So the results came back, and to my surprise, my esophagus looks clean. A biopsy after the procedure also came back clean - no allergic esophagitis or Celiac - both of which were possibilities my doctor had mentioned.

So now he's recommending I do a month's course of Nexium. If that doesn't work, he may test to see if I'm having some kind of a muscle problem that's keeping my esophagus from doing its job correctly. I guess that would mean a barium test.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm still having the same symptoms. I ate an apple last night and I felt like the chunks were stuck in back of my throat for about half an hour after I finished it. It's not a life-altering condition. I can live like this and be happy, especially now that I know there's nothing more serious causing it and as long as I chew food carefully so I don't choke. But I remain curious about why it's happening.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

carys2011 HB User
Re: Swallowing issue - endoscopy reveals nothing

This is a very random suggestion- have they looked into Hashimotos? I had the sensation of trouble swallowing and I ended up having it. It has gone away after taking a thyroid pill everyday

Old 06-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

No - I haven't, but I'll check it out. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

i have strictures that do this to me from reflux

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

I think the endoscopy would have revealed a stricture, but it didn't.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

well with me i had it done two times close together and the dr at first didnt tell me i had one until the 2nd scope was done. some drs omit stuff dont know why ?

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal15 View Post
After three months of feeling like food wasn't properly going down my throat, and having a couple of scary choking episodes where the food eventually went down, I had an upper endoscopy last week.

Going into the procedure, I was worried, of course, especially because my doctor had asked me questions about cancer history in my family and whether I'd been losing weight. I've had acid reflux issues for probably 20 years, so I was fearing that my esophagus was damaged or even pre-cancerous or worse. I'm 41, by the way, and a non-smoker in good health.

So the results came back, and to my surprise, my esophagus looks clean. A biopsy after the procedure also came back clean - no allergic esophagitis or Celiac - both of which were possibilities my doctor had mentioned.

So now he's recommending I do a month's course of Nexium. If that doesn't work, he may test to see if I'm having some kind of a muscle problem that's keeping my esophagus from doing its job correctly. I guess that would mean a barium test.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm still having the same symptoms. I ate an apple last night and I felt like the chunks were stuck in back of my throat for about half an hour after I finished it. It's not a life-altering condition. I can live like this and be happy, especially now that I know there's nothing more serious causing it and as long as I chew food carefully so I don't choke. But I remain curious about why it's happening.

Thanks.
Possibly your esophagus goes into a muscle spasm when you try to swallow. I don't know if this will work but you can try it and let me know if it helps at all:before eating any food try drinking a warm or hot beverage to see if that will relax the muscles in your esophagus. Also, try not drinking really cold beverage like ice water or really cold soda.
My pastor had a problems with his esophagus shrinking up making it difficult to swallow. He had to have endoscopy every so often to stretch the esophagus out again.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

danimal15 HB User

Thanks for the tip about warm beverages. I'll give it a try. I think a muscle spasm is definitely a possibility. I also think the condition could be anxiety related. I notice it happens a lot when I'm having dinner with my kids and my younger one is acting up.

Closed Thread