It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Elaine910 HB User
Question diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia... surgery necessary?

I'm confused and I just wanted to see if anyone out there was in a similar situation and could offer any advice...I had a HIDA scan and there was no ejection, 0%. It also said bile reflux. One doctor told me I should have my GB removed asap, as it could be dangerous to leave it in, it could rupture and cause septicemia. Then a surgeon told me it was NOT dangerous to leave it in, but that I should have it removed so I can eat normally again.

I'm not experiencing pain or nausea, only mild pain when I eat something heavy. I have strictly limited my diet, though, and I'm not able to eat a lot of "regular" foods, like pizza, lasagna, anything with meat/cheese.
I guess I'm worried because I'm young (31) and I don't want to take it out and then have worse symptoms, like diarrhea, pain, etc, or if it won't even solve the problem.
I'm leaning towards just having it removed because I'm tired of always having to be so careful with what I eat, and also worried about the possibility of having it rupture. I don't even know how likely that is, but it sounds dangerous and I don't want to take any chances.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia...surgery necessary?

Have it out. It is diseased or else it would have an ejection rate. Seriously, and I am not trying to scare you, but a friend's father died from a ruptured gb. Have it out, eat low to no fat until then and then for 2-3 weeks after. All will be well, I had mine out and jogged 2 miles a week later. And I was 59 at the time! Piece of cake. I've had 3 foot surgeries and they were all worse than this one. Don't take a chance - not with a 0% rate. I know teenagers who have had theirs out. You'll be fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
(female)

fundragon2012 HB User
Re: diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia... surgery necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine910 View Post
I'm confused and I just wanted to see if anyone out there was in a similar situation and could offer any advice...I had a HIDA scan and there was no ejection, 0%. It also said bile reflux. One doctor told me I should have my GB removed asap, as it could be dangerous to leave it in, it could rupture and cause septicemia. Then a surgeon told me it was NOT dangerous to leave it in, but that I should have it removed so I can eat normally again.

I'm not experiencing pain or nausea, only mild pain when I eat something heavy. I have strictly limited my diet, though, and I'm not able to eat a lot of "regular" foods, like pizza, lasagna, anything with meat/cheese.
I guess I'm worried because I'm young (31) and I don't want to take it out and then have worse symptoms, like diarrhea, pain, etc, or if it won't even solve the problem.
I'm leaning towards just having it removed because I'm tired of always having to be so careful with what I eat, and also worried about the possibility of having it rupture. I don't even know how likely that is, but it sounds dangerous and I don't want to take any chances.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading...
Me too, in the same situation. HIDA 3%. Do not have much pain. A few times of stomach ache in Jan. Have not had any pain since. My symptoms are gas and gas trapped in chest area with difficulty to have a good breath. Lots of burping. Feel better with my breathing after burp. My diet usually is not heavy. But can not eat certain food which makes air trapping in the chest worse. No any kind of beans, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and corn. If I eat above, I will feel like want to go to ER for difficulty having a good breath.
One GI doc said remove gallbladder, one GI said my symptoms are not related to my 3% gallbladder functioning. Put me on PPI which only help my reflux feeling but not the air/ pressure feeling to my chest. Often feeling air at my throat too. One surgeon told me to remove it and the other surgeon told me ok to remove gallbladder as it is not working but my symptoms are not going to go away. I am tired being sick and can not eat normal. Lost 5 lbs. Ironically I am a GI nurse. Researched and it is a split decision 50-50. Very frustrated and tired about suffering and thinking about it everyday. Hoping someone there with similar symptoms and have success story with their treatment. About to go to the 3rd GI and will take the advise whatever is!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine910 View Post

Any thoughts?
Thanks for reading...
You may not feel a lot of pain now, but as time goes on, it can get worse and worse. This happened to me. It took doctors 2 years to figure out that my gallbladder was non-functioning. By then I was so sick, I lost 13 pounds and had absolutely no appetite whatsoever... It is an easy surgery and although I had to watch my diet afterward, I got through it and I am the biggest chicken in the world! I do not regret having the surgery at all and it has been 1 1/2 years; I've not felt better! Good luck!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundragon2012 View Post
Me too, in the same situation. HIDA 3%. Do not have much pain. A few times of stomach ache in Jan. Have not had any pain since. My symptoms are gas and gas trapped in chest area with difficulty to have a good breath. Lots of burping. Feel better with my breathing after burp. My diet usually is not heavy. But can not eat certain food which makes air trapping in the chest worse. No any kind of beans, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, and corn. If I eat above, I will feel like want to go to ER for difficulty having a good breath.
One GI doc said remove gallbladder, one GI said my symptoms are not related to my 3% gallbladder functioning. Put me on PPI which only help my reflux feeling but not the air/ pressure feeling to my chest. Often feeling air at my throat too. One surgeon told me to remove it and the other surgeon told me ok to remove gallbladder as it is not working but my symptoms are not going to go away. I am tired being sick and can not eat normal. Lost 5 lbs. Ironically I am a GI nurse. Researched and it is a split decision 50-50. Very frustrated and tired about suffering and thinking about it everyday. Hoping someone there with similar symptoms and have success story with their treatment. About to go to the 3rd GI and will take the advise whatever is!!!

I can really empathize with you! I suffered with horrid gas pains in my chest, back, excessive belching, bloating and it took doctors 2 years to diagnose my non-functioning gallbaldder(10% ef) By then I was so sick, I couldn't eat anything, lost 13 pounds and I was thin to begin with. I went to the ER twice with chest and back pains and was misdiagnosed with GERD, put on PPI's; gasteroparesis medication, esophogitis, had to have a colonoscopy/EGD; you name it, I took meds for it and nothing worked until I had the ultrasound and HIDA scan. As with you, the surgeon could not make any guarantees; I got the same 50/50 chance of improvement odds that you did. And mind you, I was absolutely terrified to have the surgery, you hear such horror stories, but I am here to tell you that I do not regret my surgery one bit and it's been 1 1/2 years. find a good surgeon and get your life back again. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
fundragon2012 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
(female)

fundragon2012 HB User

Refous57,
Hi, thanks for your input! Does your GERD reflux go away after surgery? Gas are gone? Able to eat many food? Actually my first GI are really good and only took me one visit, did EGD to clear no other stomach issue, then move to HIDA as he thinks it could be my Gallbladder. It is me to have a second opinion as it is a surgery and I had some bad experience before with move quickly to ideas of surgery.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Refous57,
Hi, thanks for your input! Does your GERD reflux go away after surgery? Gas are gone? Able to eat many food? Actually my first GI are really good and only took me one visit, did EGD to clear no other stomach issue, then move to HIDA as he thinks it could be my Gallbladder. It is me to have a second opinion as it is a surgery and I had some bad experience before with move quickly to ideas of surgery.
When my Gastro doctor looked at my EGD results, he found I did not have GERD and promptly took me off Prilosec. I think if you go to the ER for digestive issues they must automatically put you on PPI's, at least that's what happened to me. I had to stay on a low fat diet for some time after my gallbladder surgery, but I am close to being back to normal, although I still avoid greasy, spicy food; actually I have an aversion to them.

I would not want you to rush into a surgery if you have doubts either; in my case, I was so sick and losing weight so fast I was willing to have the surgery because my EF was so low at any rate. If you do have the surgery, make sure you get a really good surgeon with tons of experience! Let us know how you're doing and good luck with your decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to rufous57 For This Useful Post:
fundragon2012 (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
(female)

fundragon2012 HB User

You must had low HIDA, no stones, but pain? Can you tell me what exactly are your symptoms before surgery?

I have no pain, but gas and chest tightness. And to a point almost to ER ask for air/ O2, But believe me, I am this close to schedule the surgery as I can not stand the symptoms and suffering . At this moment, I am avoiding trigger food, and on Aciphex and on and off feeling better although still have some symptoms, but bearable. it happened before, everytime, I scheduled surgery and then got canceled as i will feel better. Then 1 week later, i started to feel bad again, then will call surgeon to schedule. My surgeon told me the surgery will not fix my symptoms, but i sooner or later will have sever pain and end up in ER with surgery any way. then it sure if it is true as my second GI denied it.

will see how long this time -- period of feeling better -- will last. If my symptoms relapsed will definitely go surgery route.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
You must had low HIDA, no stones, but pain? Can you tell me what exactly are your symptoms before surgery?

I have no pain, but gas and chest tightness. And to a point almost to ER ask for air/ O2, But believe me, I am this close to schedule the surgery as I can not stand the symptoms and suffering . At this moment, I am avoiding trigger food, and on Aciphex and on and off feeling better although still have some symptoms, but bearable. it happened before, everytime, I scheduled surgery and then got canceled as i will feel better. Then 1 week later, i started to feel bad again, then will call surgeon to schedule. My surgeon told me the surgery will not fix my symptoms, but i sooner or later will have sever pain and end up in ER with surgery any way. then it sure if it is true as my second GI denied it.

will see how long this time -- period of feeling better -- will last. If my symptoms relapsed will definitely go surgery route.
Yep, I had sludge but no stones. HIDA was 10%...What is your diet like? You started having symptoms since January of this year? I wish I had known then to eat fat free because fatty foods really make the gallbladder work hard and caused the pains. Your gallbladder EF was 3% right? I would be willing to bet your ducts are plugged with sludge that couldn't be seen on an ultrasound?

My symptoms were excessive belching, and I mean I could belch a thousand times and not get any relief. That's what sent me to ER once because I felt chest pains and couldn't get my breath because of all that belching. They did an EKG and sent me home with Prilosec, which did nothing for me. Then it changed to excessive belching and severe pains in my back and upper right rib. I totally lost my appetite due to nausea, as this went on for almost 2 years!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #10
(female)

fundragon2012 HB User
Thumbs up Re: diagnosed with biliary dyskinesia... surgery necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
Yep, I had sludge but no stones. HIDA was 10%...What is your diet like? You started having symptoms since January of this year? I wish I had known then to eat fat free because fatty foods really make the gallbladder work hard and caused the pains. Your gallbladder EF was 3% right? I would be willing to bet your ducts are plugged with sludge that couldn't be seen on an ultrasound?

My symptoms were excessive belching, and I mean I could belch a thousand times and not get any relief. That's what sent me to ER once because I felt chest pains and couldn't get my breath because of all that belching. They did an EKG and sent me home with Prilosec, which did nothing for me. Then it changed to excessive belching and severe pains in my back and upper right rib. I totally lost my appetite due to nausea, as this went on for almost 2 years!
yes. Me too, lots of belching, forceful sometimes which push food back to my throat, and of course, my 2nd GI doc thinks I have reflux. PPI did help with food at throat sensation, but not air pressure feeling to my chest. No pain, just gas, bloating, and belching. Not seems associated with what I eat. On and off feeling better on my own. The food I can not tolerate are beans of any kind, soy milk, yam, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, corna, flour buns made with yeast, etc. Learned the above list of food hard way. If I do eat them, feeling like dying without enough air, unbearable!!! Starting yesterday, feeling nauseous on and off if is a big meal.
If your surgery helped you with all of the belching, chest pain, and gas problem, I will follow. Thinking to schedule the surgery. 3% will not get me better to any where. Sooner or later it will need to be out.
Thanks!

Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
(female)

fundragon2012 HB User

My diet are usually very light. Mostly low fat and now and then treat myself dome " junks". I am lactose intolerant, so no cheese. Not really changed my diet habit, but have to avoid those gad producing food.

Flirting with the idea of surgery. Please let me know if your symptoms of gas, bloating, and belching had gone away after the removal???

Thanks!!!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #12
(male)

New Mexico HB User

My wife was diagnosed with bile reflux gastritis and then it was determined that her gallbladder had only a 19% ejection rate. She does not have severe pain but can hardly eat anything for being nauseated. Pretty much crackers and oatmeal. She has lost 25 lbs in about 6 weeks and she really didn't have any to lose. She is throwing up bile and the doctors are saying she should have her gall bladder removed. My question is "Why is there so much bile in her system if her gall bladder is not contracting but 19%?" and will removing her gall bladder cause her to have more bile in her system?

Reply Reply