It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

rosieblue HB User
Hiatus Hernia - Loss of appetite

I have just been diagnosed with hiatus hernia (4 cm) and barretts. I am feeling nauseous all the time and I have no appetite. I have been on medication for 4 days (Omeprazole 20mg) daily. I also have a constant gurgling under my ribs and lots of gas in my stomache. Can anyone relate to this and maybe give me some advice as to anything that might help ease these problems.

Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Hiatus Hernia - Loss of appetite

Was a scope done to diagnose these problems? And your stomach ok? It is possible to use an H2 blocker like Zantac (ranitidine) along with omeprazole. Also, can use a liquid antacid as needed to coat the esophagus and stomach and neutralize the acid. Make sure you do all the usual things for a hiatal hernia and GERD, like head of bed elevated, no food 2 hrs. before bed, don't lie down right after a meal, cut out smoking, caffeine, wear loose clothing around waistline, etc. Please check with your Dr. at least by phone to get the ok on those 2 over the counter medications. He may also let you raise the dose of omeprazole at first until your symptoms are under better control.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
(female)

rosieblue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Was a scope done to diagnose these problems? And your stomach ok? It is possible to use an H2 blocker like Zantac (ranitidine) along with omeprazole. Also, can use a liquid antacid as needed to coat the esophagus and stomach and neutralize the acid. Make sure you do all the usual things for a hiatal hernia and GERD, like head of bed elevated, no food 2 hrs. before bed, don't lie down right after a meal, cut out smoking, caffeine, wear loose clothing around waistline, etc. Please check with your Dr. at least by phone to get the ok on those 2 over the counter medications. He may also let you raise the dose of omeprazole at first until your symptoms are under better control.
Thanks for your speedy reply Ludybud.

I had an endoscopy last Saturday for the diagnosis of hernia and barretts. Also had a CT scan on my stomach which was o.k. I seem to be doing all the things you mentioned and had my bed elevated a bit yesterday. I am going to see the consultant tomorrow and will mention the H2 blocker that you suggested. I only hope he listens to me as he does not seem a very understanding man.
Thanks for your help. I will let you know how I get on.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi rosieblue,
I have a Hiatal-Hernia and had awful nausea and belching constantly along with a feeling of regurgitating.
I found Domperidone really helpful with the Nausea also Fresh-Ginger in boiled water.
Gaviscon helped as well. Eat smaller meals more often, and remember PPIs can take a couple of weeks or more before you feel the benefit. I was told to give mine, NEXIUM at least 6-8 weeks to see if they were helping.
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
(female)

rosieblue HB User

Thanks for the suggestions Solofelix. I do take gaviscon and will definately try ginger. What is domperidone, I have never heard of it?

Rosieblue

Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieblue View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Solofelix. I do take gaviscon and will definately try ginger. What is domperidone, I have never heard of it?

Rosieblue

"Look it up online"...
I was told to take it for Bloating and Nausea, as it helps move your
food along faster and therefore will help with both Nausea and Bloating.
I get mine from my Dr but you can buy it where I live OTC in the Chemist.
I have read it is not available in the USA but you can buy it online.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
rosieblue (06-29-2012)
Closed Thread