It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(female)

katerina1 HB User
Newly diagnosed dumping syndrome

My gp just told me that have tested for everything else and it all coming back clear then the most obvious diagnosis for the extreme diarrhoea I have had the last two years is likely Dumping syndrome. From the little bit I know it seems to fit but my doc never came across anyone who had it before. My troubles started after Nissen surgery two years ago nearly.

I have no clue where to get advice. The doc can't help. I know it's food with me that sets it off. Sugary foods seem worse. Give me candy and I'm in trouble in twenty minutes.

Anyone got an suggestions tips or advice ? I'm soooooo fed up and tired. My home and work life are suffering. And I am sick of the bathroom !!!

All hints much appreciated.
Katerina

Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: Newly diagnosed dumping syndrome

<<Groan>--I never heard of "dumping syndrome" before you mentioned it. Doing a quick google, it seems odd that that type of surgery would produce these results, though that seems to be what they are saying. Are you having any other symptoms, like fatigue, brain fog, that sort of thing?

The only thing I can think to suggest is taking a probiotic like Align once daily to see if it might help. If it will help you will probably notice some positive results within a week. If it doesn't help, I wouldn't know where to go from there other than maybe seeing another GI doc, just to see if he/she has any other ideas.

I hope your condition improves.
M.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

katerina1 HB User
Question Re: Newly diagnosed dumping syndrome

Hey thanks for the rapId reply. I too hadn't heard of the syndrome but it definitely exists. Sadly. I didn't think it could come from or be linked to my oP but it seems it can. It's one of the rare sideeffects I'm told. But I'm not convinced by anything my gp says now. And the gi expert kicked me out of his care seven weeks post oP as his job was done.

I've just started on the probiotics and am hopIng they will make a difference. So thanks for that thought. Yes I am very tired. And if passing out in work after really bad diarrhoea has anything to do with things my brain is a little foggy from time to time. On a bad day it's just too much. Thankfully I am a determined soul. I'll not give up looking for answers.

Guess I need to keeP trying right ?

Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

Yes, you need to keep trying. The reason I asked about the fatigue & brain fog is that there is a definite and proven connection between the gut and the brain, and most any gut problem can and will affect brain function and energy levels. Based on what you've said, I think you will see some positive results from the probiotic. It may not be a complete fix, but let us know about the results.

Also, probiotics are not all created equal. My personal experience is that you're better off sticking with the pharmaceutical grade probiotics than small-dose things like yogurt or health food store items that are not consistent in their quality/content.

I would also consider seeing another GI doc, just for confirmation and/or additional info.

Cheers,
M.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina1 View Post
My gp just told me that have tested for everything else and it all coming back clear then the most obvious diagnosis for the extreme diarrhoea I have had the last two years is likely Dumping syndrome. From the little bit I know it seems to fit but my doc never came across anyone who had it before. My troubles started after Nissen surgery two years ago nearly.

I have no clue where to get advice. The doc can't help. I know it's food with me that sets it off. Sugary foods seem worse. Give me candy and I'm in trouble in twenty minutes.

Anyone got an suggestions tips or advice ? I'm soooooo fed up and tired. My home and work life are suffering. And I am sick of the bathroom !!!

All hints much appreciated.
Katerina
Many people have problems with sugar substitutes like sucrose,nutra sweet and also some fat substitutes can cause diarrhea. Eat bananas,white rice and white toast with nothing on it,cheese and chocolate as long as you know you're allergic to milk products or tend to be lactose sensitive as these will help firm up your stools. Sometimes fiber supplements like Citrucel and Metamucil will help add bulk and help to firm up your stools.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
(female)

katerina1 HB User

Hey there, many thanks for the reply and advice Flipfleury. I have already been warned by my doc to steer clear of anything with artificial sweetners in it, so that helps a little.
And I do like the foods you mention and they dont seem to upset me, so thats good too.

I will certainly look into this metamucil you speak of. I hadnt heard that it may help bulk stools, I knew only of its use as a laxative, but reading up online today it seems others use it for the same needs as me.

Certainly worth a try! Anything has to be better than no help at all, which is what I get from the doctors right now.

Thanks again :-)

Reply Reply

Tags
dumping syndrome ; nissen ; diarrhoea