It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

westielover5 HB User

Hi I'm a new member and wanted to tell my story to try to get some possible insight. I have had stomach issues since I was in my 20's. I have had the barium test (20 yrs ago), colonoscopy (5 yrs ago) and endoscopy (5 yrs ago). My diagnosis was acid reflux, ibs, and hianal hernia. I should also mention I have Interstitial Cystitis, a bladder disorder which can sometimes be linked to IBS.

The past few yrs have been brutal for me and I have gained a lot of weight. About 50 lbs in the past 10 yrs Have anxiety and depression but my stomach can't seem to tolerate antidepressents so I've given up on that. I never really feel well. Went to see a new gastro dr a few months ago and she wanted to do another endoscopy and colonoscopy. colonoscopy just because my 82 yr old dad had a benign polym during his last colonscopy. I haven't scheduled yet. I got really really sick the last time I prepped for the colonoscopy. Because when I don't have some type of cracker, bread in my stomach I have a lot of pain and nausea. I can't vomit easily. Actually the last time I did was 16 yrs ago after surgery! A strange problem I know. Always feel nauseaous so sometimes I wish I could just vomit to feel better. I have afraid to go through the colonoscopy prep again. I can't put into words who sick I feel when my stomach is empty. Every morning I wake up and my stomach is killing me until I eat a banana or something light.

During my visit to the new gastro dr, she mentioned seeing in my chart when they did my tests 5 yrs ago there was a huge bubble of acid found in my stomach so she wanted me to get an xray. I did and she said there was a lot of acid in my stomach and her concern was I wasn't emptying so she put me on miralax. Took the first dose and got really dizzy and sick from it. So just this week I've been trying to take 1/2 packet a day to start out slow. I have been in a state for a week now.

When this happens here are my symptoms: very bloated feeling, breastbone hurts (likely the hyanial hernia acting up), nausea, somach pain and gurling, constipation and then sometimes diarrhea and fatigue. I know I need to get the tests done and I'm fine with the endoscopy but she wants to also do the colonoscopy and barium test. I also got really sick when I did the barium test when I was in my 20's. I'm also starting a new job so i can't be taking a ton of time off right now either.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to calm your system down when you are in the midst of a flare up of symptoms? Or any advice. I know I need to concentrate on diet and exercise more. Honestly the exercise is tough because I rarely feel good. Thanks for listening!

The following user gives a hug of support to westielover5:
sjb (07-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: New member

Greetings Westielover5! Welcome to the health boards! I hope you find the needed support.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
Re: New member

"My diagnosis was acid reflux, ibs, and hianal hernia"

I have those... fun isn't it?

Have you never been diagnosed with an ulcer? Many of your symptoms sound like that. But it will likely require the barium test. The doc isn't going to want to put you on an ulcer med without confirmation of the condition. If it is an ulcer the discomfort of the test will easily be overshadowed by the positive results from the meds they will give you for relief.

I would suggest having the barium test first. If an ulcer is the problem, or a problem, then treating it for a couple of weeks prior to the colonoscopy will make the colonoscopy prep much easier.

M.

The following user gives a hug of support to Rich775:
sjb (07-06-2012)
Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

hello40 HB User
Re: New member--opinion needed

Im sorry your going through so much! I know it gets overwhelming too becuase my daughter had Hirshprungs disease and had all her large colon removed, so I know how you feel. I just wanted to let you know the doctor always told us to do a liquids only diet for a few days when she got sick and had an infection in her small bowel. the doctor would always say "rest your bowels to get better " by liquid diet and sometimnes antibiotics too. Are you sre you dont get an infection when you get flare-ups ? Maybe you can ask your doctor about that Good luck and hope your feeling better soon !

The following user gives a hug of support to hello40:
sjb (07-06-2012)
Closed Thread