It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
(female)

cgant HB User
Graves disease with sudden uncontrollable diarrhea

I have had Graves disease for the past 5 years. I was not irradiated and still have my thyroid gland. I was treated with methimazole and cortef (cortisol). My thyroid hormones are in normal range but my TSI antibody is elevated (last month the TSI was about 200 units which is low compared to 900 before treatment. Normal range is < 139 units) Because my TSH, T4, T3 and cortisol levels are normal my doctor took me off all medication to see if I am in remission. I have always had discomfort in my right eye but both eyes looks normal. I suspect the antibodies are affecting my right eye. My right eye feels irritated, waters a lot and the lid looks slightly swollen.

Also with no prior warning or feeling ill (no pain or cramping) I experience sudden onsets of diarrihea like brown water with very little stool. After my abdomen feels irritated. Does anyone know why I have sudden diarrhea? What causes this and what can be done to control this symptom?

Thanks,

Cyndy

Last edited by cgant; 07-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

ScarlettA HB User
Re: Graves disease with sudden uncontrollable diarrhea

I wish I had seen your message earlier. I would like to hear more about your Graves, and and the diarrhea? My daughter has had Graves for at least five years, but it went untreated until about two years ago. She is also on Methimazole and other meds for high blood pressure. She is not doing well at all, and has had bloody diarrhea every day this past week. All the doc did was to give her lomotil. She is very sick most of the time.
What I'm wondering is, when can she hope for remission? If you go into remission, do all symptoms go away? Do you feel normal? If anyone can answer, I would appreciate it very much.

The following user gives a hug of support to ScarlettA:
cgant (09-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

cgant HB User
Re: Graves disease with sudden uncontrollable diarrhea

Hi,
the fact is some people go into remission and some don't. I have been in remission for about two years as far as my Thyroid hormone levels are concerned. However my antibody (TSI) levels are still abnormally high.

My doctor is D.O. and practices holistic medicine. In other words she treats the whole body not just the symptoms.

I wanted to keep my thyroid so the doctor recommended a nutritionist who put me on a detox regimen. The doctor started me taking 30mg of methimazol a day and 25mg of Cortef. Also for a few months I had to take heart medication to controll my racing heart, palpatations and irregular heart beats. The doctor monitored my thyroid and antibody levels every month while I was detoxing. The detox regimen included eliminating certain foods from my diet, heavy metal detox, colon cleansing, liver detox and lymph detox. I also took a variety of herbal supplements, vitamins and minerals.

Today I no longer take Methimazol but I do take about 5mg of Cortef a day to block the antibodies. I see the doctor every three to four months to monitor my thyroid hormones and antibody levels.

I feel almost normal I have sudden onset of un controllable diarrhea occasionally, I have some discomfort in my right eye and I have heart palpatations and a kind of fluttering feeling in my chest occasionally. Over all I feel very good. Since I have been off the Methmizole and reduced the Cortf I am beginning to loose weight.

Because everyone is different the detox program has to be specific for the individual. I no longer see the nutritionist but I still watch what I eat and I still take many of the vitamins, minerals and herbal supplements. This treatment has worked for me.
Here are some books that can help you understand and manage this disease.

" Living Well with Graves' Disease and Hyperthyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You...That You Need to Know " by Mary Shomon

"The autoimmune epidemic" by Donna Jackson Nakazawa

"Thyroid Power" By Richard and Karilee Shames

I hope this helped,
C. Gant

Closed Thread