It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
(female)

anniela HB User
Chronic Constipation (years now) with no known cause - any ideas?

Greetings,
I have had a problem with chronic constipation my entire adult life. Sometimes it's worse (can't have a bm without laxatives), sometimes it's not as bad, but it's never normal. I can go almost 10 days without a bm.

And this is the thing, everything works once (ish) but only once. Dietary changes, laxatives etc. so I am on this continuous search for solutions, but nothing is a long term solution. Some examples:
I found out a few years ago that I had celiac disease, going on gfree diet helped for a couple weeks. Found out 2 years ago had complete work up of allergy tests and found out that I was allergic to a bunch of other things, including dairy - cut those out and that also helped for a couple weeks.
Used to have gas problem but found out that was caused by chewing gum.
I read the book "clean" and followed that, and that worked at first, too. I tried several forms of probiotics, anti candida programs, etc same story
over time I've cut out artificial sweeteners, soda, caffeine, etc, and again, I've tried increasing and decreasing fat, protein, starch... almost everything works at first, then I'm back to not moving.
Over the years I've been on medications (and off of them) and the constipation remains standard.

I am extremely healthy, drink tons and tons of water, have a stellar diet (hey, I'm allergic to everything else), eat an absurd amount of fiber, exercise every day. So if your answer includes eat fiber, drink more water, or exercise, I really don't want to hear it. I know that's the easy answer and I've heard it and done it--am still doing it.

When it's bad, I can't have a bm without some sort of laxative. I know what this sounds like, and it's really easy to say "frequent laxative use causes dependence" yeah, well, I only ever started taking them because I had to and nothing would please me more than to never take it again, and I have tried every way possible to not take them again. Cold turkey (let my body just have to sort it out--that didn't end well) tapering off, everything. For that reason I don't take stimulant laxatives, only saline and senna.

It's like my body wants to be constipated, and every once it awhile I can change something, or 'trick it' but it never takes long for my body to adjust.

I am tired of going to gastroengerologists. THey are out of ideas, so am I.
is this something any of you have encountered or heard of?
anything?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: Chronic Constipation (years now) with no known cause - any ideas?

I have had problems all my life with constipation so I can understand your pain,misery,and frustrations ! What I have found that helps me the most to combat the constipation problem: I sit on the toilet everyday for 30 minutes to move my bowels. I use slow deep breathing exercises to relax my all my muscles and in turn it helps to move my bowels. When I first started doing this I had to use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool to make it easier to go and not be so painful. I used Citrucel twice a day for awhile to help keep me regular and my stools soft. I eat a bowl of oatmeal with flax seed and eat 6 stewed prunes or apricots for breakfast everyday or other cereals high in fiber.
Have you ever heard of a redundant colon ? The colon gets an extra loop in it causing chronic constipation(some doctors call it lazy colon)Because of the extra loop in the colon it takes too much stool to accumulate in the colon before you ever get the urge to go and then it takes too long to move down the colon making it become more dried out and hard,making impossible to go at all. Some say it's from being constipated all the time and stretching the colon out and some say it's from using laxatives too much. Sometimes it's just a congenital anomaly.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
(female)

sweetdeb HB User
Post Re: Chronic Constipation (years now) with no known cause - any ideas?

ask your doctor for [an rx for] Lactulose!

a tiny sip of this sweet sugary syrup once or twice a day and you should be good as new in no time just make this part of your daily routine. It seems to work quickly, though occasionally it could take up to a few days.. But usually it takes several hours to one day. it won't give you cramps or any of the other miserable side effects the other meds do (unless you really take a huge amount).. It's a lovely thing. It doesn't really MAKE you "go".. It just kinda lets ya; helps you out... But it works better, gentler and note naturally than anything else (at least, to MY knowledge [of course!]).

I really, really do hope this helps ya ;]

--You don't have a dairy sensitivity, right? I don't recall reading that.. I'm
not *positive* that that would be a problem, but I wanted to mention it.

All the best

Last edited by sweetdeb; 08-01-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

RebeccaTiger HB User

Hi - I just joined this forum and already found exactly what I'm looking for - someone with the same problem as me. I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you because I am frustrated and searching myself, but I thought we could help each other rule things out.

I've tried everything, EVERYTHING as well. Even a couple of my friends who I share these details with ask if I've tried a laxative. OF COURSE I've tried a laxative, i'm keeping the drug stores going!

Anyways. I'm interested by the first respond in the "loop colon" or expanded, etc.. Maybe due to chronic constipation that has happened to me. In the last 2 -3 months I feel my constipation has become extreme (ended in the ER twice recently) but I've been dealing with it for 10 years now.

For me, I just want to know whats causing it (like I'm sure you do) instead of the "band aid" solutions that only work for a short while. Right now I'm waiting for a colonoscopy. I had two scopes down the throat over the last 10 years and 1 scope up (sigmoidoscopy) that have all shown NOTHING. I had blood tests a few weeks ago that showed regular white blood counts meaning I don't have an IBD. I was just checked for Celiac but do not have that. I'm wondering if I'm lactose intolerent so I'm working on removing that from my diet but I don't think that's what it is.

The Doctor said last week that "maybe it's just IBS"....ok sure.. maybe it is, but I don't know if I believe in IBS personally. To me (no offence to anyone who has this- just my opinion) it's like telling someone they have fibromyalgia.

So I wanted to ask you if you have extreme bloating towards the end of the day (around dinner time and later) where it looks like you may be 6-8 months pregnant. I have that and it's getting harder to wear my clothes even though I weigh the same. I am not a big person but not super skinny either. Probably average or a little smaller for for age 31. I do not have kids.

So I have chronic constipation and over the last couple months I have tried EVERY laxative including PEP (I think) and Pico Salax (3 packs over 24 hour period) and didn't "clean me out" entirely. They did help but once I stoped, it's back to 100% constipated again. I can't take Pico Salax regularly or I'll never make it to work again!

One last thing (sorry for the long post) I have some anxiety that I'm wondering if medications from that are making my constipation worse. Do you have anxiety, ADHD or anything similar?

Hopeless and wanting help
Rebecca

Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniela View Post
Greetings,
I have had a problem with chronic constipation my entire adult life. Sometimes it's worse (can't have a bm without laxatives), sometimes it's not as bad, but it's never normal. I can go almost 10 days without a bm.

And this is the thing, everything works once (ish) but only once. Dietary changes, laxatives etc. so I am on this continuous search for solutions, but nothing is a long term solution. Some examples:
I found out a few years ago that I had celiac disease, going on gfree diet helped for a couple weeks. Found out 2 years ago had complete work up of allergy tests and found out that I was allergic to a bunch of other things, including dairy - cut those out and that also helped for a couple weeks.
Used to have gas problem but found out that was caused by chewing gum.
I read the book "clean" and followed that, and that worked at first, too. I tried several forms of probiotics, anti candida programs, etc same story
over time I've cut out artificial sweeteners, soda, caffeine, etc, and again, I've tried increasing and decreasing fat, protein, starch... almost everything works at first, then I'm back to not moving.
Over the years I've been on medications (and off of them) and the constipation remains standard.

I am extremely healthy, drink tons and tons of water, have a stellar diet (hey, I'm allergic to everything else), eat an absurd amount of fiber, exercise every day. So if your answer includes eat fiber, drink more water, or exercise, I really don't want to hear it. I know that's the easy answer and I've heard it and done it--am still doing it.

When it's bad, I can't have a bm without some sort of laxative. I know what this sounds like, and it's really easy to say "frequent laxative use causes dependence" yeah, well, I only ever started taking them because I had to and nothing would please me more than to never take it again, and I have tried every way possible to not take them again. Cold turkey (let my body just have to sort it out--that didn't end well) tapering off, everything. For that reason I don't take stimulant laxatives, only saline and senna.

It's like my body wants to be constipated, and every once it awhile I can change something, or 'trick it' but it never takes long for my body to adjust.

I am tired of going to gastroengerologists. THey are out of ideas, so am I.
is this something any of you have encountered or heard of?
anything?
Do you have bloating like I do? What type of stool are your movements like? I have been using miralax and would have to strain to go and when I did didn't feel complete and would have terrible bloating even after a bm. Now I drink yogi tea that has senna in it , one bag would work but now it takes two, and I get awful cramping but when I go I have a large bm but still have the bloating , how about you?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

LibbyCat HB User

Hello, yes, you are not alone and unfortunately I don't have a cure either. I am always constipated (also been on SSRI's forever so not sure if that makes it worse) and I've tried lots too. The only thing that works for me fairly well is miralax. And it's one of the safer ones to take long term. It's a osmotic, which draws water into the intestine. I need to take it at least every other day to keep me going every 2 days or so. It's ridiculous and makes me feel bloated, nauseous, and full sometimes. Maybe try miralax every day...they say you could even do twice day...I'm not very consistent so I run into trouble when I'm not!! Good luck.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
(female)

lcb2 HB User

I've been suffering from chronic constipation for my whole life, so I literally feel your pain. :-P

I've been reading and researching a lot, and have come upon this condition known as dyssynergic defecation. Anybody heard of it?

It's a type of chronic constipation where the pelvic floor muscles and the colon and rectal sphincters are out of sync, resulting in the inability to pass a complete bowel movement. This can result, of course, in impactions, etc.

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone?

Last edited by Administrator; 09-01-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcb2 View Post
I've been suffering from chronic constipation for my whole life, so I literally feel your pain. :-P

I've been reading and researching a lot, and have come upon this condition known as dyssynergic defecation. Anybody heard of it?

It's a type of chronic constipation where the pelvic floor muscles and the colon and rectal sphincters are out of sync, resulting in the inability to pass a complete bowel movement. This can result, of course, in impactions, etc.

Just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone?
Yes that is what I have been dx went to Michigan bowel control at u of m and went through biofeedback and things got worse like I said I drink senna tea and I go but I still get this bloating pain 24/7 . Went on fodmap diet still no help I also have a hiatal hernia and stage 3 gerd but gi says that's not causing my bloating. Do you have the bloating and feel gassy?

Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
(female)

lcb2 HB User

No, Terlin -- no bloating, but I have a lot of embarrassing flatulence. I don't think it's IBS, because I have no pain. But I feel all out of rhythm on the toilet. That's why I perked up when I read about dysynnergic defecation.

Closed Thread

Tags
chronic, constipation