It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
(male)

sydskind HB User
Angry Do I need to go to the EMERGENCY ROOM--Bowel obstruction?

I have had 3 pervious hernia surgeries using a MESH too large to remove and redo..I now havd sever abdominal strain and pain i nthe lower left side of abdomen and groin----it followed a long bout of sitting up and standing... I then have had TWO bouts (same day) of LOSS OF BOWEL CONTOL (Diarhrea) and since then I have not had a bowel movement over 2 days....Since I have had 3 perviousd hernia surgeries--and my symptosm FIT the symptoms of LARGE BOWEL OBSTUCTION---wghat is my next move--I do NOT have a current general doctor..i was referred to a NYC surgery clinic for appt Tuesday afternoon--but with a bowe lobstrcution--is this taking too long a chance..should I go to the ERR ASAP--only issue is--I have insurance NOPT taken everyhere..and the asmbul;ance would take me to the cloest hospital where my insuranc is not accepted..would have to stay trhere 24 hours to be trasnferred//io cpuil;d DIE if it a serious emergenxcy--I went thtru this BEFOFRE with kidney stones-- iwas bleeding and they refrused to operate....said we have t trasnfer tro a hospital weith a surgeon IN YOUR PLAN..so I would rather wait tillTUESDAY--am I SAFE if it isd a bowel or bowel obstructing herhnia to wait 2 days--and can I eat--now?

Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Do I need to go to the EMERGENCY ROOM--Bowel obstruction?

I don't think you have a bowel obstruction. One is the fact that you asked if you could eat. If you had a bowel obstruction, you would be doing a lot of vomiting and eating would not even be an option. You didn't mention vomiting. Not having a bowel movement in two or three days is not generally indicative of a bowel obstruction. I think generally it is longer than that. You may just be constipated. Have you tried taking laxatives?? I would relax if I were you. If you start vomiting a lot then you may want to go to the ER but I think at this point it's not an emergency. Keep us updated on how you are doing though!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Sydskind ! I would give the emergency room a call to see what they say... Usually anytime a person has severe abdominal pain they say a visit to the emergency room is appropriate. I would tell the people at the emergency room about the mesh with the phone call. With a mesh in there I guess I would be worrying too I am sorry this has happened. Of course if it is constipation then I might use a quart of warm water to soften it and wait for a BM. Okra can be eaten to improve the mucous in the area and get it sliding. Some people use a half a bottle of prune juice to have a BM. Flax seed can be obtained. Two tablespoons flax can be simmered with some water and then strained to drink the slippery water without the seeds. This has an anti-inflammatory effect and gives the ability to help the mucous glands of the bowel to let the bowel movement slide out better, also softening it with water. Some people also use senna pod or senna leaf tea to stimulate the muscles to move. A daily walk is also useful to stimulate bowels.

With a mesh I think avoiding constipation is important so making sure there is plenty of water intake, no junk food, no meat, less eggs or dairy products, less dry food such as crackers, packaged or refined food such as white flour food, pasta or white rice is important. I would use more fruits and vegetable to help with constipation also. Peace, sjb

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Whynowthis (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
(male)

sydskind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynowthis View Post
I don't think you have a bowel obstruction. One is the fact that you asked if you could eat. If you had a bowel obstruction, you would be doing a lot of vomiting and eating would not even be an option. You didn't mention vomiting. Not having a bowel movement in two or three days is not generally indicative of a bowel obstruction. I think generally it is longer than that. You may just be constipated. Have you tried taking laxatives?? I would relax if I were you. If you start vomiting a lot then you may want to go to the ER but I think at this point it's not an emergency. Keep us updated on how you are doing though!!!
Wel;l you are right...I am NOT vomiting. I have not vomited once. But all I have 'eaten" ion three days is some cereal, liquids, a a few crackers./ I believe I have caused a small abdominal hernia or extension of pre-existing hernia-since my lower left abdoman is in pain and so is my left groin...I guess I can wait till tomorrow without vomiting. The unfortunate situation is--if It is another inguinmal hernia--I will have aserious issue--as the last surgeon used a "giant mesh" too large for a aurgeon to remove to do laproscropic (I was told I will bleed to death) and to ddo conventional--they said-- iwoll sustain severe nerve traumas--as that mesh is cemented into the entire groin. if it is NOT an obstruction....could it just be a STRAINED abdominal muscle---what is the treatment for that?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

sydskind HB User

Thank you for your reply..I live in NYC--emergency rooms do NOT give patients ingformation on the phone when you call them "Should I come in". I have tried this in the past and they all say "we cant advise on the phone come in". To come in..i need to call an ambulance in my present condition...so it is not a simple walk in. The previous post mentioned "you are NOT vomiting" and I am NOT. My appt is tromorrow at 11AM with a surgical dept..unless I start vomiting I will wait till tomorrow dfor them to examine me and see if I have any rupture/abdominal hernia/ inhuinal. I feel NASEAU sitting up, I have not had a bowerl movement in 3 days, the last 2 I had were "urgent" with no control...The last piost said "relax" I am not so sure ith is nothing. I have no prevfious history of loss of bowel ..and I can FEEL a protrusion and [pain on the lower right abdomen close to the groin. I may need surgery--but I may not need to go to the ER today...if I vomit--I will call 911.

The following user gives a hug of support to sydskind:
sjb (07-09-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to sydskind For This Useful Post:
sjb (07-09-2012)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydskind View Post
Thank you for your reply..I live in NYC--emergency rooms do NOT give patients ingformation on the phone when you call them "Should I come in". I have tried this in the past and they all say "we cant advise on the phone come in". To come in..i need to call an ambulance in my present condition...so it is not a simple walk in. The previous post mentioned "you are NOT vomiting" and I am NOT. My appt is tromorrow at 11AM with a surgical dept..unless I start vomiting I will wait till tomorrow dfor them to examine me and see if I have any rupture/abdominal hernia/ inhuinal. I feel NASEAU sitting up, I have not had a bowerl movement in 3 days, the last 2 I had were "urgent" with no control...The last piost said "relax" I am not so sure ith is nothing. I have no prevfious history of loss of bowel ..and I can FEEL a protrusion and [pain on the lower right abdomen close to the groin. I may need surgery--but I may not need to go to the ER today...if I vomit--I will call 911.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to insinuate that nothing is wrong with you. But you seemed very worked up over the fact you hadn't had a bowel movement in two days, and I just wanted to point out that was not indicative of a bowel obstruction . Also getting upset in these situations is not going to help so to relax is always a good thing. I liked the previous posters idea of calling the ER but if you say they won't help, is there anywhere you can call a nurse? Maybe you can find somewhere online for that? Do you have Urgent Care clinics in your area? Maybe a visit there would be appropriate?? I hope you get to the bottom of your problem and feel better soon!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
(male)

sydskind HB User

hello. I did not say I thought I had a largte Bowel obstruction "simply" because I have not had a bowel movement. I also said I have abdominal and groin pain and this occured after physical strain beyond normal. I also have had 3 previous hernia surgeries and they can recur. Most of my pain is inthe left lower abdomen ..it has not dimished. It is now Monday night..and all I still have pain and I still have diahrea and NO normal bowel movement..something is obviouslyt wrong. I am seeing some general surgeons at a clinic tomorrow morning...let them sort it out. I still beleive I have a surgical issue--obstruction--even minor...I hopethey send me to the ER with instructions..otherwise It will be 24 hours there before they get to me..no joke..in NYC--they let you lay aroundf the ER about 20 hours before they finally get you thwe tests you need..it is just too overcrowded. No one is admitted an ymore without FIRST going thru the ER..always a miserable experience. Someone should really videotape what's going on in these plaves..you never see it on the news..cameras are not allowed in hopsital emergency rooms. I have not vomited..but I am certainly naseaus and unabel to pass stool normally and have abdomina lpai nafter strain on muscles..so something is not right.

The following user gives a hug of support to sydskind:
sjb (07-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

How did your appointment go? Did they send you to the ER? Have they determined what is wrong? After you mentioned that you strained yourself in your last email it made me think it does sound like you possibly have another hernia. Keep us updated, we'd like to know how things turn out for you! Good luck!!

Reply Reply

Tags
emergency room