It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

yorkielover007 HB User
Endoscopy results please help!

I want to share my endoscopy results and see if anyone can help me interpret the results. I am still waiting on the biopsy results. I am a 47 year old female.
*Possible esophagitis seen in the GE junctions (4 biopsies taken)
*Gastritis found in the antrum
*Early ulcer in the stomach, bopsies taken (4 biopsies taken)
*Biopsies taken in the small bowel
My symptoms are tons of belching after eating, a burning feeling in my upper abdomen, also had a few positive stool samples.
They also found one polyp in my colon.
Thank you for any input you all can give me! Also, any treatments that have worked for other people would also be good to know.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Endoscopy results please help!

Basically, you have a bunch of irritation in the stomach.

The GE junction is gastro-esophageal, the spot where the stomach meets the esophagus. They found swelling and irritation there, and also inside your stomach.

Taking biopsies is pretty routine. If, for example, the biopsies find that the inflammation is caused by H. Pylori, you'll be treated with antibiotics. Most of the time, however, the biopsies find nothing out of the ordinary.

You mention positive stool samples, do you know what they were testing for?

The doctor may want to put you on medicines such as Carafate or a Proton Pump Inhibitor to let those erosions heal.

Until you next see the doctor, though, the best thing is to stick to a bland diet. Low-fat, nothing fried, and avoid anything spicy or acidic, including tomato products and even some fruits. Some people find that lowfat dairy products soothe the pain, others find dairy irritates it further. You can also buy a medicine called Gaviscon over the counter. It temporarily helps a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
(female)

yorkielover007 HB User

thank you for the info... they were just checking for blood in my stools. ive been on prilosec for a few weeks now.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

OK, the blood is presumably from that ulcer, which they are now treating. Is the Prilosec helping?

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #5
(female)

yorkielover007 HB User

Hi, yes the prilosec is helping. I got the biopsy results and they were all normal except it says I have GERD and that if the prilosec isn't helping that the doctor would prescribe something stronger.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
(female)

sealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB User

Thank God it is nothing worse. So happy for you.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
(female)

yorkielover007 HB User

Thank you!

Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad the biopsies came out ok!

The ulcers and inflammation usually heal in 4-8 weeks on Prilosec, assuming nothing is perpetuating them. Stay strictly away from aspirin, advil and anything like that, and stick to a bland low-fat diet with smaller meals. If things don't improve after a couple months, keep pushing the doctor for help.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
(female)

yorkielover007 HB User

ok, that is good to know!

Closed Thread