It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

sacrine HB User
Plagued with Sulfur Gas, Diarrhea and Vomiting...

I joined the forum specifically to let everyone know how I got over this thing. I had the terrible burps which would always start 12 or so hours before vomiting and diarrhea. I always had the feeling that the vomiting was brought on by the taste of the burp rather than anything else. Initially this all started last December when one morning I had terrible stomach cramps which lead to burps, vomiting and diarrhea. I went to the doctor and they originally thought I had early appendicitis. The pain and other symptoms went away after about 12 hours. 6 days later I went through the same thing and ended up going to hospital where they ran tests and found nothing. It then fell into a 6 day cycle where every 6 days I would be sick and there was nothing I could do. I eventually went to the doctor and suspecting that I had some sort of parasite (which they tested for but admitted their tests weren't that accurate) I demanded flagil. The doctor agreed and gave me a three day intensive course which worked! However, a couple of weeks after being symptom free it came back only this time without the abdominal cramps. A second round of antibiotics did nothing and it settled into a week cycle once again. I tried everything.. gluten free foods.. checked my blood sugar levels.. everything! Eventually my mother suggested I might have low stomach acid levels and try Metamucil and a digestive pill supplement which contained Betaine HCl as well as capsule probiotics (the ones kept in the fridge at the pharmacy). Initially I ignored her advice and kept trying to find reasons why I was sick until finally, after a meaty meal which lead to sulfur burps I went and got the supplements.

I'm not sure about the probiotics but I have to tell you that since taking the fiber and betaine HCI pills everyday (fiber twice a day and betaine pills after each meal) I have not been sick since. Seriously!! If you are suffering from sulfur burps and the lot please consider low stomach acid levels and try this out! Also reduce your meat intake initially. The betaine digests the food much much much faster and the fiber seems to make sure that it gets out of your stomach and stops diarrhea completely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
(female)

alshelton211 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Plagued with Sulfur Gas, Diarrhea and Vomiting... PLEASE HELP!!!

My entire family suffers from the same thing. My husband, myself and our 12 yo son and 9 yo daughter. My mother lives with us, but does not suffer from this. It knocks us down for 1 to 2 days. Starts with the Sulfur burps, then diarrhea and on to vomiting. And while we are vomiting, burps of sulfur gas come out. Nothing helps, no doctor knows what it is. We have been tested for many things, and my husband and I do not have gall bladders anymore. Mine has been out for 11 years. We take Probiotics, Acidophilus etc. I was diagnosed with ulcers, but the Sucralfate I take does not stop it. I am diabetic but my husband and kids are not. There is no associated food, it happens at different times and has caused us to miss more school and work then we should. My daughter just got over having an attack yesterday. Phenergan or dramamine does not help. The only thing that helps is letting it run its course. Husband has had scope both ways and I have had scope through mouth. We have even cleaned our entire house thinking it may be mold or something in the air. I hope someday someone has an answer as to what this is. My dad had it too, he died in 95. I have had it since I was 19, I am now 34 and my husband and kids started getting it.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

traycee62 HB User
Re: Plagued with Sulfur Gas, Diarrhea and Vomiting... PLEASE HELP!!!

OMG, that is exactly what I am going through right now. I am going to read the answers you received. I know exactly how you feel. It kicks my butt for a few days. I truly hope you feel better soon!!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

allella HB User

Have you and your family been tested for Giardia?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
(male)

wolffeeney HB User

You need to go and TELL your doctor to take blood for gases (ei blood from your artery) and get them to check your enzyme levels. You may have the start of a pancreatic problem or gall stones. A stone can cause a blocked bile duct (That sulphur smell is bile) and that can be sorted out easily so dont worry to much. If you start having serious pains in your midrift (in the middle, just below your ribcage) go to the hospital straight away because that, along with your other symptoms, would be most likely pancreatitus. This would seriously de-hydrate your body so you need fluids and not orally (You need an IV) Before this all happens, go get a test for the enzymes that I mentioned above. Hope this helps. Wolf

Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

Jinxx1966 HB User

I too suffer from this thing. It only lasts two days, but feels like forever. Starts with the rancid "fart burps" then the diarrhea and vomitting with terrible stomach cramps. I thank God only get this like once every 8-10 years, but each time it hits it hits harder. Someone out there has to know what it is.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
(male)

Jeffff HB User
Re: Plagued with Sulfur Gas, Diarrhea and Vomiting...

Same symptoms. I'm finding that many people who are suffering from this are not the only ones in there householed who have it. Me and my daughter for instance. I'm curious if insant mashed potatoes might have something to do with it. Anyone?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Plagued with Sulfur Gas, Diarrhea and Vomiting...

Have any of you been tested for H.Pylori,
I had similar symptoms and was found to have H.P.

Solofelix.

Reply Reply