It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

jennersue HB User
LPR/Gastroparesis

I have had allergy problems for years and began having chronic sinusitis the last two years. Last winter I was newly diagnosed with asthma. The illnesses became very regular and antibiotics/steroids were no longer helping me. I was just diagnosed with LPR a few months ago. My doc started me on Prilosec 40mg twice daily. No help, still sick as a dog! I feel like I struggle every day just to work. I have now been diagnosed with border-line gastroparesis. Will treatment for gastroparesis take care of the LPR? Does surgery help with these problems? Just ready to get my life back!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: LPR/Gastroparesis

Hey, Jennersue, my story is pretty similar. I had allergies and mild stomach problems for a long time, then two years ago, I suddenly developed asthma, and my stomach got a lot worse.

Prilosec only helped a little. I was diagnosed with GERD and eventually borderline gastroparesis. I tried medicines for the gastroparesis, but they didn't help much. Finally, last December I had surgery called Nissen Fundoplication. It helped my stomach quite a bit, and since then my asthma has hardly bothered me at all, even with the terrible pollen this spring!

Of course, that surgery isn't something you want to rush into. First you should:

1) Try dietary changes and lifestyle measures to bring the reflux back under control. This includes small meals, not eating anything for 2 hours before bed, and propping up the head of your bed 6 inches. In general, try to avoid lying down or bending over when your stomach is full.

Also, alcohol, coffee, spicy and greasy foods are triggers, and (since you have gastroparesis as well as reflux) you might find you tolerate cooked veggies better than raw ones.

2) Get yourself on a daily inhaled steroid (asthma controller medicine) and a daily antihistamine. Also, try to reduce your exposure to allergens

3) Consider allergy shots for your allergies. It can take up to a year to start working, but it does make a huge difference in the end.

4) Try motility aids for your gastroparesis, including reglan, domperidone and erythromycin.

5) If none of that works, then consider surgery. First have a test called pH monitoring to confirm that you really do have reflux, then find the best laparoscopic stomach surgeon you can.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread