It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
(female)

erica7780 HB User
Gastritis - upper left abdominal pain/ fullness

Hi all,

Yesterday my primary care doc diagnosed me with gastritis and I have an apt with a gastro doc next month. My symptoms are upper left ab fullness/dull pain, under my ribs. When the doc pushed on the upper center ( I guess that's where your stomach is) there was a lot of pain. When he pushed on the upper left where I feel the pain, it didn't hurt which I thought was odd. He gave me Protonix to take for 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone else with Gastritis has the same symptoms. I thought it was a strange diagnosis as I don't really have or feel much acid reflux. Thanks all

Old 07-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Gastritis - upper left abdominal pain/ fullness

Gastritis means irritation of the stomach lining. Acid reflux disease is caused by stomach acid in the esophagus, where it doesn't below. They are separate conditions, although some of the treatments are similar.

Protonix usually helps. It can take a few days to see the full benefit. Be warned, that sort of drug sometimes causes dependency, and when you try to quit, some people get symptoms worse than they had before taking it. Some people don't have this problem. Either way, the Protonix may let the stomach heal. Also, it's probably the first thing the GI doctor will want to try.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
(female)

erica7780 HB User

Thanks. I just thought it was strange that my pain feels like its in my upper left abdominal under my cage. Yet the doc says its my stomach which is pretty much in the middle.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

No, that's exactly where the stomach is. Upper left abdomen, near the lower ribs. That's where my gastritis always hurts.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
(female)

erica7780 HB User

Ok, thanks. Just hearing that your pain is the same makes me feel better, lol :-)

Closed Thread