It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
(female)

judy84 HB Userjudy84 HB User
Meds for nausea

Hi.

As well as having a general wheat intolerance, if I'm ever under a great deal of stress, my stomach reacts really easily and I get horrible nausea and indigestion for a while (lasted 2 days this time round).

I'm going to see my doctor in an hour's time, so I'm not sure what the odds are of someone reading this before then, but in case someone does, I just wondered if anyone knows of a drug they would particularly recommend, that has worked in their experience for a similar problem (I know most of us aren't doctors but any insights help!)

I've had domperidone, it may stop me from being physically sick, but it doesn't do anything to relieve my nausea symptoms (which in some ways I think is worse than being sick and getting it over with!)

Thanks for any help

Old 07-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
(female)

Re: Meds for nausea

I've just been prescribed Metoclopramide/Reglan. Just been reading about it online, and quite frankly some of the side effects (such as voluntary body movements/twitching!) really scare me!

Does anyone know if it is a safe drug to take???

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, the neurological side effects are pretty rare. (If they were common, the drug would be off the market!). The risk is higher in elderly patients or with folks who take it regularly for long periods of time. My doctor said a 12-week course would be reasonably safe.

Some of the newer anti-emetics such as zofran or compazine are safer, BUT Zofran is lots more expensive.

Bottom line, if you're taking a few doses now and then, when your stomach acts up, the risk is remote. But you don't want to be on it daily for long periods of time.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
judy84 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #4
(female)

Cherrybear82 HB User

I take Remeron 45 mg at nighttime, to help prevent nausea. When I do have a flare up and get queasy I take Zofran. Pheneragan I will take at night time, or if i'm home sick. Never during the day though, makes me way too sleepy!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks Jane. I did end up taking a couple today in the end. If I'm just taking them occasionally when I get a flare up, then I would think the risk would be small. And like you said, if neurological side effects were that common, you'd think the drug would be taken off the market!

Cherrybear, which drug do you find to be the most effective for nausea in your experience? I'm still searching for a drug that helps. Thanks x

Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

Cherrybear82 HB User

Getting on the Remeron for me has been a life changer. Before going on it in Dec I was just miserable 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Now I still have flare ups and still have some random nausea but the Remeron is just huge. I am on the max dosage 45 mg. Which we worked up to. If I am feeling really pukey and like crud i can take the remeron before i go to bed and get some relief so i can sleep.

It hasn't solved all of my issues, but with IBS and Colon Spasms, and Gastroparesis, really who could? It's made a huge difference though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cherrybear82 For This Useful Post:
judy84 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 AM   #7
(female)

Out of curiosity, I don't suppose anyone knows of a particular drug that is helpful to ease nausea symptoms brought on as a result of stress/anxiety? Or is it just a case of trial and error and eventually finding one that works for you?

Any suggestions that I can ask my doctor about would be great, if anyone knows?

Thanks

Closed Thread