It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
(male)

ultimatefloyd HB User
Unhappy How long can stomach and abdominal issues persist after taking antibiotic regiments?

I was on two antibiotic regiments for a strep type of thing in the throat, and it's been about 10 days and I'm still experiencing stomach problems, a lack of appetite, and abdominal pains mostly on my lower left side sometimes shooting up into the higher regions and back pains. Is this a normal thing? Should I have kept on with the probiotics? I did have to take two antibiotic regiments (Cephelexin and Augmentin) for a total of 20 days of antibiotics. And if it is relatively normal, when can I expect to see it go away? I went to go see the doctor and she seems to think that it's constipation (because ever since I was on the antibiotics, my appetite has been shot to hell and I lost some weight). I haven't been getting diarrhea just mostly nausea. Any help or advice would be highly appreciated because it is being very disruptive and scaring me a little bit. Thank you!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How long can stomach and abdominal issues persist after taking antibiotic regimen

It can take a while for the digestion to get back to normal after 20 days of antibiotics. I'd give it a month, actually.

Try more probiotics, do eat but keep your diet gentle on the stomach. If you might be constipated, fruit is a good natural solution. Laxatives might help, but they might be too harsh.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
(male)

ultimatefloyd HB User
Re: How long can stomach and abdominal issues persist after taking antibiotic regimen

Thank you for your reply. I actually started taking the probiotics again today. I haven't had any immediate difference yet (nor did I expect to). So do you think I should take the Miralax that the doctor wants me to go on? Or do you think I should just stick to the probiotics? And what type of easy foods can I be eating that would fill me up and help with the weight loss? Thank you very much for your reply again.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You might as well try a low dose of the miralax.

Cooked veggies are gentler on the digestion than raw ones. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are good, maybe small quantities of leafy greens. Plain baked chicken, bread, possibly boiled eggs. From the fruit group, applesauce and bananas are probably the gentlest options, and maybe avocado. Yogurt is great if your body tolerates dairy, you can even get the full-fat kind.

See what works for you. Small portions, but keep eating.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
(male)

ultimatefloyd HB User

Thank you. I'll try some of these foods. I'm starting to think that this is not constipation. Because now the pain is in my back I'd say around midway up and lower too. I don't know a whole lot about this stuff so I don't know if the pains are normal or not.

Closed Thread