It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

oogiemom HB User
Diverticulitis questions... newly diagnosed

Hello! I was diagnosed on Tuesday with diverticulitis after a ct scan. Symptoms of lower right abdominal pain, nausea, loose stools, just a general feeling of unwellness. I'm assuming it was caught early enough as there was no rupture. Was sent home from ER with a script for Cipro and Bentyl. They did the ct scan thinking it was my appendix but that was ok. I am now on day 3 of the cipro and am starting to feel a little better. Pain isn't as bad, comes and goes more then a steady pain. Liquid diet so far, mainly sustaining on chicken broth. Today my appetite is starting to come back but not sure if it's ok to graduate to soft foods. My main complaint now is the weakness, wooziness, fatigue feeling. How long does that last? I have an appt. with my PCP on Monday. He said we will schedule a colonoscopy when the infection and inflammation subsides. Trying to rest as much as I can and take it easy but that is so not me, but as soon as I overdo it the nausea and other symptoms return. I'm also a little worried about work as I do a fairly physical job, on my feet all day. I swear I have a list of questions for my doctor a mile long and getting longer.

Guess my main questions for now are: How soon can you add soft bland food? and is the nausea, fatigue, wooziness, etc common and how long does it last?

Thank you very much for your time

Jeannie

Old 08-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Diverticulitis questions...newly diagnosed

When my DH was first diagnosed, his GI said liquids only for at least a few days and he had no real appetite at first either. Then a week or 2 of soft foods, such as rice, cream of wheat etc. as tolerated. Try to rest and I know it's hard if you're used to being up and around,but this is a very serious disease and needs to be taken care of! Part of your nausea and discomfort could be caused by the strong antibiotics you are taking but they are necessary to get this under control. Ask your doctor about taking probiotics once you are through with the antibiotics to restore the good bacteria in your guts. Take care and hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread