It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
(male)

smcmullin HB User
Dull, Constant Pain on Right Side Under Rib Cage

Hi All,

I'll keep this as short as possible.

Current symptoms:

Dull pain on right side that seems to be constant (doesn't flare after food intake) - it's usually the best in the morning and as the day progresses gets worse. I occasionally get a distended or bloated feeling.

I do NOT have the following:

Diahrea (I'm regular with bowel movements every day)
Headaches or Fevers
No weight loss or loss of appetite
Acid influx

Background:

This issue has come and gone and now it's back. I've seen a GI for it. Liver enzymes seem fine. I had a colonoscopy (family history of colon cancer) and came back fine. I had a CT scan and they found signs of gravel in my gallbladder but no way to really determine if it was the gallbladder to call the culprit.

Doctors diagnoses (theory): IBS

Here's my argument against it: I only have some pain on the right sign and I'm very regular with not uncontrolled movements or diarrhea. Could it still be the galbladder? Since it went away a while ago, could I have passed the "Stones" or "Gravel" and now they re-created themself?

What I've done:

I eat incredible well. Lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Lean meats and fish. I'm very active and NOT overweight. I've added probiotics and I've even attempted a gallbladder flush with lots of apples, lemons and epson salts. I've taken Apple Pectin, Peppermint Oil (tablet), and fish oils.

Anything else I've missed?

Thank you SO much for reading and helping. I just hate not knowing what it could be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User
Re: Dull, Constant Pain on Right Side Under Rib Cage

An Ultrasound will check for gallstones and also sludge, the pre-cursor to stones; a HIDA scan checks for gallbladder functionality. Most raw veggies, salad, red meat and citrus fruits caused me a good deal of pain before I was diagnosed.

I would suggest sticking to a no fat diet until a diagnosis is made. And it isn't just overweight unhealthy eating that can cause gallbladder troubles either - I was thin, healthy but had a non-functioning gallbladder that I happily got rid of almost 2 years ago! Good luck and hope you find some answers soon!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

smcmullin HB User

Thanks rufous57 for the reply. I agree with you on all accounts and if I really had to pinpoint a diagnosis today, I'd say it's the galbladder. But do I really want to have it out? I can live with a halfway functioning one for now? How has it been since you had yours out? Ideally I'd want to keep it. I'll get on a no fat diet soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

keeno HB User

Have you been checked for h pylori? I had a dull ache on the right side just under my ribs when I had a h pylori infection earlier in the year.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
(male)

smcmullin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post
Have you been checked for h pylori? I had a dull ache on the right side just under my ribs when I had a h pylori infection earlier in the year.
Thanks for the reply Keeno. No, I haven't checked and doctors haven't suggested that. I did do a parasite cleanse a while ago and it seemed to help. I'll look into h pylori. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
(female)

keeno HB User

It's worth checking. I think a large amount of the worldwide population are infected with it but it doesn't always cause people problems, it only does sometimes. It caused me no end of problems though.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
(male)

smcmullin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post
Hey Keeno - do you know if there's a quick test for this? In fact, is there a test that checks for a broad spectrum of parasites and bacteria? If I were a betting man, I'd say this is either my gallbladder/liver or some kind of bacteria or parasite that's causing the problem.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #8
(female)

keeno HB User

I don't know about a test for all parasites but the results of the stool test for h pylori don't take more than a couple of days to come back!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since it appears you have sludge, I would definitely have a HIDA scan. Below 35% or above 75% is considered non functioning. And the sludge could have damaged the gb and cause the discomfort you feel. Whether or not to have it out if it is non functioning would depend on the level of function. While they will take it out at 34%, you could try a very low fat diet to see if that helps. Keep in mind though that damage can be progressive and the gb can rupture just like an appendix. So you would need to keep very close tabs on it if it is non functioning and you elect not to have it out.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree it is probably your gall bladder, not IBS. Yes, you can live with it if you can tolerate the pain, but it will likely just get worse with time and you run the risk of infection setting in which can make you very sick. If you have gravel, those stones will tend to pass and can get lodged in the bile duct causing an acute severe attack of pain. Gall bladder removal is best done on an elective basis, when you can schedule it conveniently, not when the gallbladder is infected or under emergency conditions when you are in a crisis with it.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
(female)

zendza HB User

Hi,

I have the same symptoms as you are describing.
So far I had liver enzymes checked, ultrasound of liver and gallbladder and everything is fine.

Have you figured out what it is?

Please let me know,

Thanks,
Zena

Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

I get these symptoms too.

My bloods were ok. All normal.

I'm getting diarroreah though today too.

The pain isn't as bad today as yesterday, but I haven't eaten anything , until 10 mins ago I ate some toast so see if that stays in.

I'm going to ask my Doctor for an ultrasound on my Gall Bladder to see if anything is going on.

I'm really down with these stomach issues (

Old 11-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

If your ultrasounds are negative please ask for a HIDA scan. Sometimes gallbladder disease does not show up on the ultrasounds, but does on HIDA scan.

Last edited by ladybud; 11-13-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread

Tags
digestion, gallbladder, liver, pain