It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User
Functional Dyspepsia

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I thought I'd post my story, what helps, and what makes it worse.

I'm 43 year old female. I've been diagnosed with FD for about 18 months. My symptoms: center upper belly gnawing, burning, bloating, burping (no acid or reflux or heartburn). Just that sick, pain feeling.

I went to a gastro doc and had a endocscopy. He said my stomach was boring - nothing going on in there. He took a biopsy anyway to test for H pylori. Negative. I had an ultrasound to check the gallbladder, pancrease, and liver. Normal. I was diagnosed with non ulcer FD. I was given a trycyclic called desipramine. It's an older anti depressant. After my gastro doc found I suffer from GAD (General Anxiety Disorder and OCD), he felt it was a brain/gut issue. Basically, the nerves in my stomach miscommunicating with my brain. The desirpramine acts as a visceral analgesic. Within 1 month, my conditioned become much better. To this day, I may have a bad day 2-3 days a month, and sometimes I can go longer without any issues.

What brings on the occassional bad days: Stress & Anxiety, inadequate sleep, and hormonal flucuations, NSAIDS.

Since New Years Eve I have not slept well. I then got my period (This is a whole different monster issue). The only thing that helps the labor like pain is .... NSAIDS. This creates a lot of anxiety. I have to use the NSAIDS to control the horrible pain, but that is not good for my FD. It is a vicious circle. I am currently dealing with day 3 of FD episodes. I normally do not go this long. Like I said, normally, it's just 1 or 2 days a month, IF that at all. I suppose things are just bad for me right now.

I hate FD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
(female)

Sofia805 HB User
Re: Functional Dyspepsia - What to do?

Hi,
I'm a 32 years old female, I was diagnosed, 16 months ago, after a series of tests with FD and just like in your cases I was told that there was no cure available. I tried everything just like the rest of you, nothing seemed to work, I felt like sh... despite of what I was eating. After doing a really deep research a found that GINGER POWDER was tested on patients with FD and had rather good results so I immediately started using it (I took a spoon with a glass of water before each meal and I didn't take any medicines) the freaking nausea went away immediately and after 20 days my stomach was flat again (I looked like pregnant till then despite the constant use of medicines) and I was fine for about 6 months (still using ginger always). Then I decided to start eating veggies again as I had completely stop consuming them due to the unbearable bloating they caused me. BIG MISTAKE ended up in the ER after eating 5 strawberries....So I started the research again and to cut a long story short I found out that veggies are OVERLOADED with VERY VERY harmful chemicals, such as lead..(need to say more?!). So I Started eating ONLY ORGANIC FOOD, and off course ginger,, absolutely nothing else, and my stomach is slowly returning to it's normal function again without meds. I'm convinced now that this freaky FD is caused due to intolerance to chemicals in the food that's why it doesn't seem to matter if you eat greasy or not food, it's not that, the stomach reacts to the chems and especially to veggies cause the are pumped up with chems.

Hope my story was helpful to you cause no one deserves to live with this horrible condition!
Thanks

Old 07-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCorsair View Post
It's odd for those of you who say PPI's do nothing; peer reviewed research (i.e. proper clinical studies) indicate that PPI's *do* help this condition... of course how *much* it helps is entirely depedent on the person, of course. The PPI I'm on does make a difference - not as much as I would like - but certainly more than if I wasn't on one at all. If you had little luck with one PPI, you might want to consider asking to try a different one. Believe it or not, but that "miracle" drug Nexium did nothing for me - in fact, it gave me brutal side effects including a splitting headache and a sore throat like you would not believe. I switched to Pantoprazole (name-brand would be "Protonix"), and I find it to be somewhat effective.

Also - the big thing for me - is that I seem to feel much (much) worse at night, when I start to get tired. I don't know if that's a reflection of my body simply being more worn out at the end of the day, or the fact that my stomach is just "worn out" after a couple of meals that day or what, but I know that I get bloated/full/nasty feeling far more quickly and far worse later at night when compared to earlier in the day. Even when I'm not working (i.e. perfectly relaxing days off) I'm still worse at night. I definitely know that I can only eat a very small amount of food for my last meal of the day, or my stomach will feel like it's going to explode... extremely uncomfortable and rather scary.

I wanted to agree with you on the tiredness. I also find my FD acts up if I stay up too late, or am not getting enough sleep over a few days. Then again, sometimes I don't know what's bringing it on. Today I had a healthy bowel of soup - lentils, beans and now I'm feeling like crap. I no longer take desipramine. I am taking magnesium and L-Glutamine after I read it could help. I don't know if it is. It seems I have issues at least a few times a month or more.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
(male)

BCorsair HB User

Organic is a good idea, period; better for the Earth, better (to varying degrees) for you, too. A simpler guideline than "eat only organic" (which can be costly and highly impractical), is simply to eat 'clean' - i.e. no processed crap, or at least as little of it as possible. Want a burger? Make it from scratch, don't go to McDonald's. Want a muffin? Go to a quality bakery, or make your own.

As to the lentils & beans soup - those vegetables, when digested, produce a lot of gas in almost anybody; in someone with FD, that's obviously pretty brutal. A great deal of vegetables break down into quite a bit of gas, so I generally eat only the pretty simple ones, like cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and other 'sandwich' vegetables, which are much easier to digest.

I'm not totally back to normal, but I'm way better than when I wrote my first post on this board; all I take is one 40MG pantoprazole pill per day, and that's it. I have the occasional antacid or Gas-X if I eat too much, or something REALLY unhealthy (which I seldom do).

The best 'cure' for this condition really is eating clean, healthy, minimally-processed food. That's not too hard for me, and just required me to be a bit more careful, because I've always been a very health-oriented and highly sporting/active person, but I imagine for any one who's never had to read a nutrition label in their life, and who doesn't exercise, it would be very difficult.

Last edited by BCorsair; 07-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

I agree with everything you've said, but never thought about the beans/lentil producing more gas than a person with FD could probably handle. Legumes are so healthy, so I hate realizing they are a problem. I've been eating very healthy and leading an active lifestyle for many, many years. It's part of who I am, so having FD, despite my good eating and exercise habits can be quite frustrating.

I'm glad you're doing better. It does seem to be true that each person with FD has to find out what they can and can not do (eating, habits, etc). For me, I have to work on limiting stress and anxiety. Greasy foods are bad, which I have little of, but if I have some, I know it right away! Obviously, gassy foods are a no no, and another big one is adequate sleep. If I mess up in those areas, I'll have trouble.

I've also noticed that high strung people - those that spool up easy, as I describe it, have a tendency towards functional dyspepsia. My gastro doc also told me this and told me he believes it is a brain to gut nerve malfunction going on. I believe it. On that note, let me give you *my* theory. For 10 years I took Luvox (SRRI) for OCD. I came off of that medicine and within a year, guess what? Functional Dyspepsia. I will forever believe (and this is my opinion) that being on Luvox for that long truly screwed up some nerve functioning in my gastro tract.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

Has anyone in this thread considered gluten intolerence/sensitivity? I've decided to cut out gluten/wheat from my diet for 4 weeks. I figure, what do I have to loose?

Last edited by JubeeBijou; 07-19-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
(female)

Sofia805 HB User

There is a theory in Cognitive Science that FD persist as a problem because after the first FD incident the nervous system which controls the function of the stomach has falsely "adopted" this malfunctioning behavior and every time you eat something "harmful' which would otherwise produce mild "normal" symptoms causes the stomach to over react reproducing this false behavior. It is supposed to be something like panic attacks, when a panic attack occurs with no known reason once, the nervous system 'learns' to react in this false manner without any serious reason. I believe there is a strong basis for this theory. Studies so far have shown that after Cognitive behavioral therapy there is a significant improvement in FD patients. Search on the net for more info it is promising and interesting.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

JubeeBijou HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia805 View Post
There is a theory in Cognitive Science that FD persist as a problem because after the first FD incident the nervous system which controls the function of the stomach has falsely "adopted" this malfunctioning behavior and every time you eat something "harmful' which would otherwise produce mild "normal" symptoms causes the stomach to over react reproducing this false behavior. It is supposed to be something like panic attacks, when a panic attack occurs with no known reason once, the nervous system 'learns' to react in this false manner without any serious reason. I believe there is a strong basis for this theory. Studies so far have shown that after Cognitive behavioral therapy there is a significant improvement in FD patients. Search on the net for more info it is promising and interesting.
It's funny you mention this. I have OCD/General Anxiety Disorder. Several years I went through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Good stuff. I still fall back on what I've learned today. I took Luvox for 10 years. I weaned myself off of it, and within a year, I started having this functional dyspepsia. Just my opinion, but I think Luvox is responsible. I have nothing to back up my opinion other than the fact that I never had FD or anything like it pre-Luvox.

Closed Thread