It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
(female)

Giblet HB User
Calcification in the pancreas

About 2 weeks ago I was experiencing pain in my upper abdomen, which eventually radiated to my back, and also develped pain in my lower abdomen. At first I thought it was anxiety-induced (it was the 1st anniversary of my Mother's death). So, I took a Zantac, which I keep on hand, but the pain got worse. Long story short, I went to the ER about 11PM, just in case it was a heart attack, and not GI related. They suspected stones, and did an ultrasound of my stomach, liver, etc. Nothing. Then they did a CT scan, which came back rather unremarkable, some fluid in my abdomen, but then the ER doctor mentioned calcification in the pancreas, pancreatic duct normal, common bile duct normal, with the Radiologist's 'Impressions' at the end of the report 1) ascites in the abdomen, and 2) CHRONIC PANCREATITIS. I was floored. I do not have, nor never have had any symptoms of chronic pancretitis. My ducts were fine, liver enzymes and pancreatic enzymes fine. No suspicious bowel issues, or weight loss, or pain, and noone seemed to think this was an acute epside of pancreatitis, but rather Gastritis. So, a gastroenterologist is doing an endoscopy in 3 weeks (it was the soonest they could do it) to see if something else is going on. Therefore, I still don't have a definitive answer as to whether I actually have chronic pancreatitis or was this a misread. I know there are calcification mimics. I have a friend who's a radiologist, and he told me calcification does not necessarily equate to chronic pancreatitis. He said it could be a result of an acute episode years ago, which resulted in some scar tissue. Anyway, has anyone gotten CT results that showed calcification, but with no symptoms of chronic pancreatitis?

By the way, after 5-6 days I felt perfectly fine. They prescribed an acid-blocker, which I've been taking for 2 weeks.

Thanks for any input.

Giblet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread