It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb 80 mgms of Kristalose yesterday & today...and nothing.

I just read the post I wrote back in Nov. 2004 where I called Kristalose a 'life-saver.' I was prescribed two 20 mg powders (mixed with water) in May of 2002 after years, and I mean YEARS of severe constipation.

Well, it lost its effectiveness in early 2007 after 5 years. So I drank magnesium citrate until the stuff also lost its effectiveness (one bottle would have me in & out of bathroom for hours, but after a year, two bottles got barely minimal "results.")

So with some trepidation I asked doctor to put me back on kristalose in early 2009. Lo & behold the stuff worked....but lost its effectiveness late last year. Magnesium citrate still doesn't work for me so, on my own, I began taking 80 mgs (four 20-mg powders) every other day.

After a year, the stuff is losing its effectiveness again. I am at my wit's end. No way am I going to up my dosage. I ate a huge salad yesterday & today so it's not as if I am not getting fiber.

The bloating from all the Kristalose in agonizing but will wear off after several hours. Still, there is no point in taking another 40 mg tomorrow so I am going to wait until Tuesday.

I cannot continue to live like this! Obviously I went from having a "lazy colon" in 2002 to a "comatose colon." I tried the syrup version of Kristalose last year but it did not work for me. I feel hopeless!

I hope somebody has a recommendation...I know I can't reverse the damage done to my colon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: 80 mgms of Kristalose yesterday & today...and nothing.

So I found this post while searching for information on magnesium. I don't really have any experience on this particular board, but I do have some experience with things not moving!

My personal remedy is to eat a bowl of Quaker oat squares DRY, but drinking ice water with each handful.... and always at night right before bed. Usually I end up eating about a serving and a half to two servings with about 20 ounces of ice water. I have success by the next morning, but for others I have told this to, some take up to 72 hours (repeating the oat square regimen each night until success).

Anyway.... I have tried other things in the past. OTC mess, prescriptions, etc.... this is the only thing that ALWAYS works for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to marisuela For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
(female)

It got even worse yesterday. 80 mgs of Kristalose did not work again (after not working on Sunday). So the bloating was unbearable & I drank another two glass of 20 mg Kristalose powder each. Got results but seriously, anyone else drinking that much prescription laxative would still be in the bathroom. I'm scared it will happen (or should I say, "not happen") again tomorrow. No way am I gonna take 120 mgs every two or three days.

My doctor cousin recommended I try "Golytely." I looked it up & it's a prescription for ppl having a colonoscopy. Seriously? But he's a GYN oncologist, not a gastro-doc.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisuela View Post
So I found this post while searching for information on magnesium. I don't really have any experience on this particular board, but I do have some experience with things not moving!

My personal remedy is to eat a bowl of Quaker oat squares DRY, but drinking ice water with each handful.... and always at night right before bed. Usually I end up eating about a serving and a half to two servings with about 20 ounces of ice water. I have success by the next morning, but for others I have told this to, some take up to 72 hours (repeating the oat square regimen each night until success).

Anyway.... I have tried other things in the past. OTC mess, prescriptions, etc.... this is the only thing that ALWAYS works for me.
Forgot to ask, what prescriptions have not worked for you?

Old 03-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #5
(male)

NormR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTSONUTSO View Post
I just read the post I wrote back in Nov. 2004 where I called Kristalose a 'life-saver.' I was prescribed two 20 mg powders (mixed with water) in May of 2002 after years, and I mean YEARS of severe constipation.

Well, it lost its effectiveness in early 2007 after 5 years. So I drank magnesium citrate until the stuff also lost its effectiveness (one bottle would have me in & out of bathroom for hours, but after a year, two bottles got barely minimal "results.")

So with some trepidation I asked doctor to put me back on kristalose in early 2009. Lo & behold the stuff worked....but lost its effectiveness late last year. Magnesium citrate still doesn't work for me so, on my own, I began taking 80 mgs (four 20-mg powders) every other day.

After a year, the stuff is losing its effectiveness again. I am at my wit's end. No way am I going to up my dosage. I ate a huge salad yesterday & today so it's not as if I am not getting fiber.

The bloating from all the Kristalose in agonizing but will wear off after several hours. Still, there is no point in taking another 40 mg tomorrow so I am going to wait until Tuesday.

I cannot continue to live like this! Obviously I went from having a "lazy colon" in 2002 to a "comatose colon." I tried the syrup version of Kristalose last year but it did not work for me. I feel hopeless!

I hope somebody has a recommendation...I know I can't reverse the damage done to my colon.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
(male)

NormR HB User

Ask your personal physician to check your thyroid levels (low levels cause lazy colon) and your electrolytes (fluid balance effects lack of fluid released into the colon). After 15 years of suffering with exactly what you describe I finally found a doctor who did these tests and found I was 1) hypothyroid and 2) I had a low blood salt levels. After correcting these two things by adjusting my thyroid activity and changing the medication that was causing my low levels of salt (hyponatremia), my bowel function became normal. All other docs I had gone to tried only dietary measures and laxatives, most of which made things worse or quit working in time. Best of luck. I hope this helps.

Last edited by NormR; 03-11-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: clarity

Reply Reply