It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
(female)

Sara3X HB User
Unhappy Please help! Very miserable!

Hey there, I'm new to this whole posting thing so I hope that I did it correctly. I am extremely miserable with stomach issues lately. And I'm looking for advice on what this problem could be and if I should go to the ER.

For the past two weeks I have been very nauseous, to the point I hate to even leave the house. Most of the time it feels like I'm either going to throw up or have diarrhea (gross, I know) It's ruining my life. The only time I feel half decent is when I'm at home on my couch. I went to the doctors last week and they told me it could possibly be IBS and prescribed me something for cramps... does nothing for my nausea. He was also concerned about ovaries and said it could be a possibly hormone problem. I am scheduled to see a gyno next Thursday but honestly, I am so miserable I don't think I can wait until then. I started my senior year of college and have already begun missing classes because the second I leave I get nauseous to the point where I sweat, shake, and feel like I'm going to have diarrhea. Here are my symptoms:

*nausea
*(constant) urge to have a bowel movement (either nothing comes out or very little comes out)
*Pain in right lower abdomen (off and on, never constant and never unbearable)
*tender to touch lower back on same side (doesn't hurt unless I rub there and then I notice it's sore)
*bloating (my stomach is very bloated and uncomfortable)
*Sweating.. I'm constantly hot and sweating
* headache... miserable
*Fatigue.. tired all the time. I just want to stay in bed!
*shaky at times
**Not sure if this is related, but I do have very irregular periods (been going on for years) and as of a few months ago began breaking out horribly.

My question is, should I go to the ER for these symptoms since nothing at home has helped? I have had a few bowel movements after drinking coffee and they were pretty normal so I really don't believe it is IBS. I've also tried eating Activia Yogurt and Fiber One bars.. no help. I've been taking Pepto pills like they are candy... no help.

I'm already missing school because of this stupid stomach problem and I can't get back to the doctors for another week. Should I go to the ER? any ideas on what this could be? I really appreciate the help and those of you taking the time to read this..

Last edited by Sara3X; 08-27-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
(female)

Lucibella23 HB User
Re: Please help! Very miserable!

How is your appetite? Are you ever hungry? Does it get worse when you are up and moving around?

Have you thought about gastritis? I had very similar symptoms when I had gastritis (and NEVER once had typical symptoms like reflux, but did have bloating, nausea and a constant fullness in my stomach).

You mention that you've had a difficult time going to class because "the second I leave I get nauseous to the point where I sweat, shake, and feel like I'm going to have diarrhea." Is there something you are afraid of? Do you have these symptoms when you go other places, or just to your classes?

I feel for ya! Tummy issues are the WORST! Maybe try some ginger capsules or tea and see if that helps the nausea at all? Peppermint oil is also supposed to be good for cramping and regulating the bowels.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
(female)

Sara3X HB User

Thank you for responding! The second I am off my couch, I get sick. I do have an appetite but the second I start eating I feel very full.

I mentioned class because i'm in my last semester and I have to keep missing. However, it happens EVERY where I go. My mother thought it might be anxiety too but I've never had any problems before and honestly, I don't have any irrational fears, etc.

I will mention, that for the past year I used to have a coffee which then would give me an upset stomach and occasionally diarrhea. I stopped drinking iced coffees in May and that's when I began getting sick when I would leave the house. The first time was on a camping trip. The morning we were to leave I felt horrible, but blamed it on the beer. I drink in moderation and have never became ill from drinking before. So, while I thought it was odd didnt think anything of it. I'm beginning to wonder if it wasn't the coffees making me sick at all, but rather something slowly starting out and of course, is now severe.

So, I'm thinking whatever is wrong has been wrong for over a year or so and has now progressed.

My doctor originally thought IBS. I don't think it is IBS because my nausea is so severe that I can't leave the house or be off my couch for longer than 10 minutes or so. When I do get the sever nausea my side also hurts.

Luckily, my friend is at the local ER now and says it is packed so I'm saving the trip for tomorrow.

I'm just terrified of going and was hoping someone else was going through the same thing.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
(female)

JacquelineMarie HB User

I have had the EXACT same problem, it began in my early teens and it was horrible... I too felt like anytime i had to go somewhere, I would get sick, like I would get really nauseated and sweat and just feel Ill... I also got this weird sensation that I had to go to the bathroom and I would swear I was about to have horrible diarrhea, but it would be little to nothing.

It went on for YEARS, I missed tons of school and never went on outings , or I would avoid them as much as possible. I saw numerous doctors who never gave any explanation, I was finally referred to a physchologist, who said it was "anxiety" and prescribed me Prozac. It worked like a charm and I'm not actualu sure if it was actually anxiety or if Maybe something in the Prozac worked, but it did.

Unfortunately I got pregnant and ended up stopping the Prozac. Now I still get that same feeling , but I have had no explanation.

I will tell you however, I am 25, have two kids, and just last year I finally had a colonoscopy and the dr removed a PRECANCEROUS POLYP...my dr said that is very uncommon for someone so young so now I have to have one every year. I'm not sure of that has anything to do with why I would feel so horrible, but it's one of the only definite diagnosis I have had.

I wish the best in your diagnosis, but it sounds exactly like what I've experienced...

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #5
(female)

Sara3X HB User

Wow, your symptoms are soo close to mine! I'll even get sick at home if I'm up walking around and what not. Did you also get this "anxiety" at home? After the removal of the Polyp did you feel better? I'm at my wits end over here.. I'm not sure if I should go to the hospital or back to the doctor. (I don't have insurance so the hospital would be the only place that will test, poke, xray etc all at once)

I'm seeing a gyno on Thursday, so I'm desperately trying to hold out until then..

I'm so glad I found this message board. It's nice to find people that know what I'm going through and talk to people that can relate. My family seems to think I'm faking..

Old 08-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
(female)

JacquelineMarie HB User

Yes. I wod absolutely get these attacks at home, if I wasn't Lounging around, I chanced getting sick.
The things I have had are as follows:
-I've had multiple ovarian cysts , one even was large enough to need removal.
-I have Mittelschmerz, which is ovulation pain, and I am one of the unlucky women that I have it EVERY month.
- I have acid reflux or GERD.

The attacks have lessened up, but now that I'm off the Prozac, they still happen. But like I said, when I was on the Prozac, I never had any attacks.

The Following User Says Thank You to JacquelineMarie For This Useful Post:
Sara3X (09-03-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

swt567 HB User

Your symptoms sound very similar to ones I had for several years. The doctors told me it was all "in my head". It was by accident that my gyno found out that I had a baseball size cyst on my ovary that was causing all the problems. Please have them check your ovaries. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to swt567 For This Useful Post:
Sara3X (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
(female)

Sara3X HB User
Question Going to ER tomorrow but I'm curious if anyone else has had these problems?

Hi! I posted a few days ago about the problems I have been having. Since posting, I have been to my doctor twice and my gyno once. Still, I find that I am miserable and no better than when I started. I'm a college student and can't bear to miss any more classes, so tomorrow if I can't make it through class I have decided to go to the local ER and have tests done. (My doctor wanted to but I could not afford it because I have no insurance. At the hospital they will "bill me later" with the additional help for low income) Doctor gave me Zantac, a nausea medication, a medicine for IBS cramping symptoms (I don't cramp so I don't take it) and gyno started me on birth control for other symptoms (hopefully non related). I have a nodule on my thyroid but so far the tests conclude that it is working properly and I have been diagnosed with low b-12. I don't think it's a b12 deficiency, just my levels are somewhat low so I take a vitamin in the mornings.

For the past few weeks, I have been experiencing life ruining symptoms. I used to get these "attacks" so to speak, once a month or so but as of now it has been 3 weeks and counting.

I tend to get very nauseated to the point where I feel as though I am going to either vomit or have diarrhea. During this attack, I get very hot and sweaty. I usually rush to the bathroom anticipating diarrhea - I usually don't have anything come out and if I do it's small pellet types and I really strain for it. I've noticed that if I drink a McDonalds Vanilla Iced Coffee, I rush to the bathroom and actually go. It's not complete diarrhea but not completely formed either. Even after that, I still feel the urge to go but can't. This symptom is ruining my life. It is so severe and hits so suddenly that I can never leave the house. It's more of a "Oh my gosh, I need a bathroom now! " to either vomit or #2 and then I get there and nothing. Thinking I was constipated, I tried adding fiber to my diet with no luck. I will add that I do not drink pop at all (never had a sip in my life) and only have coffees every now and again. I have constant thrist and I drink tons of bottled water a day. I'm starting to think it is more than just constipation. I am extremely gassy - both ends. It's quite annoying!

I started taking the Align Probiotic medication. I'm on day three. I have had a bowel movement everyday, but they are small pebble like.

I also have a dull ache in my lower right abdomen. It's not severe but I do notice it is there. Today about an hour after I ate, I had sharp stabbing pains in my upper right abdomen - it's not the first time I have noticed this stabbing pain in my upper right abdomen but it happened more than once today.

Along with these symptoms, I have bloating, burping more frequently, fatigue and a foggy brain (I either can't remember things, or lose my concentration easily), tingling in hands/fingers feet/toes, easily cold but I constantly sweat in my underarms, HEADACHES (mostly right side).

Yesterday, I felt slightly better the symptoms were still there but they were manageable. I only had subway all day. So maybe not eating does the trick? I've decided that since I do not have insurance and can not afford to keep spending over $50 everytime I go to the doctors to go to the ER instead.

I guess I'm just looking for someone who has had these symptoms that could give me a little insight. I'm terrified that I will be told I have the flu and sent home.. I have a hard time actually going to the doctors/er because I prefer to be sent home, so I hope they find something and I don't feel like an idiot.

Could this be a bowel obstruction? Gall bladder? *Note: I have already had my appendix out when I was in 3rd grade.

Any insight would be great and I truly appreciate it. If you are experiencing these problems, I feel for you. It is not fun.

Last edited by Sara3X; 09-03-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User
Re: Going to ER tomorrow but I'm curious if anyone else has had these problems?

Hi there!

I have had similar symptoms, but some of mine were intense and I ended up in the ER and being admitted. I am sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I have some things you should think about.

Right upper quadrant pain, sweating, bloating, etc can all be symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease. I have had my symptoms for almost 6 months now, and they finally did an ultrasound and they found a hydrosalpinx. I have had probably 6 negative STI tests in the last year and I have never in my life tested positive. I did have borderline BV at the beginning of my symptoms and I was on Prednisone for an unrelated condition.

Do you have any urinary symptoms? Also there is the possibility of endometriosis - so it is good that you are now on the pill. Do your symptoms go in a cycle? Did the gynecologist do any swabs or tests? I have almost like a morning sickness type thing - where I also either have diarrhea or dry heave for about 3 hours.

I also can't seem to sleep past 4am. I have had two UTI's with bacteria - have they done urine cultures? Have they done stool samples? Could you have picked up a parasite anywhere? (any travelling, drinking from wells, camping, being around sick kids/animals?).

Have you had any bloodwork done? I have been diagnosed with a connective tissue disease as well, but I think that it is only really responsible for my rashes and joint pain/swelling and not the GI and urinary and throat symptoms. I also was once hyperthyroid but now it is apparently back to normal but I still feel awful.

Keep going with the probiotics and drinking lots of water. Good luck at the ER if you do go. I also hate going I am trying to get up the guts to go back.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
(female)

joykay13 HB User
Re: Should I go to ER? Please help -- Any advice appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara3X View Post
Hey there, I'm new to this whole posting thing so I hope that I did it correctly. I'm a 23 year old female. I am extremely miserable with stomach issues lately. And I'm looking for advice on what this problem could be and if I should go to the ER.

For the past two weeks I have been very nauseous, to the point I hate to even leave the house. Most of the time it feels like I'm either going to throw up or have diarrhea (gross, I know) It's ruining my life. The only time I feel half decent is when I'm at home on my couch. I went to the doctors last week and they told me it could possibly be IBS and prescribed me something for cramps... does nothing for my nausea. He was also concerned about ovaries and said it could be a possibly hormone problem. I am scheduled to see a gyno next Thursday but honestly, I am so miserable I don't think I can wait until then. I started my senior year of college and have already begun missing classes because the second I leave I get nauseous to the point where I sweat, shake, and feel like I'm going to have diarrhea. Here are my symptoms:

*nausea
*(constant) urge to have a bowel movement (either nothing comes out or very little comes out)
*Pain in right lower abdomen (off and on, never constant and never unbearable)
*tender to touch lower back on same side (doesn't hurt unless I rub there and then I notice it's sore)
*bloating (my stomach is very bloated and uncomfortable)
*Sweating.. I'm constantly hot and sweating
* headache... miserable
*Fatigue.. tired all the time. I just want to stay in bed!
*shaky at times
**Not sure if this is related, but I do have very irregular periods (been going on for years) and as of a few months ago began breaking out horribly.

My question is, should I go to the ER for these symptoms since nothing at home has helped? I have had a few bowel movements after drinking coffee and they were pretty normal so I really don't believe it is IBS. I've also tried eating Activia Yogurt and Fiber One bars.. no help. I've been taking Pepto pills like they are candy... no help.

I'm already missing school because of this stupid stomach problem and I can't get back to the doctors for another week. Should I go to the ER? any ideas on what this could be? I really appreciate the help and those of you taking the time to read this..
Hon, could you possibly be pregnant? Get yourself back to another doctor and ask for a pregnancy test. Also, try magnesium supplements. You can get them at walmart in the vitamin section.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Could very well be your gallbladder. Try eating NO fat for a week and see if it helps at all. You would need an ultrasound and maybe a HIDA scan to determine that.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
(female)

zip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB Userzip452 HB User

I re-read the post. You should pay attention to what you eat and what is in the medications that you are taking. Some parts of it sound like lactose intolerance. You could try buying lactase enzyme and taking it with food, or cutting milk products and products containing lactose out of your diet.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
(female)

patty779 HB User

I don't have advice to give you for your condition, unfortunately, but I wanted to address the college concerns. Make sure you go through the proper channels to let your professors know you have a medical problem that is causing you to miss school. (At my school, this meant having my doctor fax info to a particular department which then confidentially contacted my professors -- me just emailing the profs wasn't enough.) Start now so that you don't get screwed if you have to miss school -- your health is too important to put off for classes, and the school will understand that.

If you miss too much school, but your profs have been in the loop, you are more likely to get support from them whatever ends up happening. In some cases you might end up taking an incomplete grade for some classes and finishing work over the break, things like that. You might already be aware of all this, but I've had a few friends who had medical problems interfere with school and they didn't keep their teachers in the loop, which caused them problems by the end of the semester. It might also take some of the stress off of you to know that your profs are aware that you're dealing with other stuff and that you can work around it.

Since the appointment is next Thursday I would wait unless you're in a decent amount of pain. Are there urgent care clinics near where you are? ERs can be expensive, unhelpful, and busy (long wait times) in some areas, so an urgent care clinic might be a better bet for getting someone to look at your problem. You should probably go ahead and schedule a followup with your regular doctor for after you meet with the gyno, since if the gyno has no solutions, you'll have to do it anyway. Better to schedule now while he isn't as booked up. If he can't do anything for you, maybe he can refer you to a specialist?

Last edited by patty779; 09-18-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #14
(female)

harperb HB User

I had some similar symptoms to you about 7 months ago and struggled with several different doctors trying to figure out whether it was gastrointestinal or gynecological. For me, it turned out to be both. If I were you, I'd try to see a gastroenterologist if you can. You'll get more answers from a specialist than a GP. And I would call the GYN and tell them you're feeling worse and see if they can move your appointment up. If there's a cancellation, you might get lucky. It sounds like you could have an ovarian cyst, gastroenteritis, or appendicitis based on the symptoms you described, but of course without blood work and/or scans, we can't know for sure.

That said, if you develop a high fever or severe pains or vomiting, then by all means go to the ER. Particularly if you think it could be your appendix since you definitely don't want it to rupture. Hang in there.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #15
(female)

rush-rulz HB User

Your post sounded familiar to me, apart from the headaches and ER visit and such...

When I was in college (I forget how old exactly), I started having digestive issues. I got sort of agoraphobic because I felt like I was going to lose it out of one end or the other. When I did go out with my friends, I'd have anxiety attacks over it. I was feeling sharp pains and discomfort in my abdomen.

Anyway, I finally got around to seeing a doctor. She decided I was "stressed from college" (which wasn't the case at all :-)) and wanted to give me Xanax, which I declined. However, she also gave me hyoscyamine, which helped, including with my very unpleasant period pain.

Long story short (too late!), I ultimately came to the conclusion that it was IBS, which my doctor (a different one) said as well.

So that may be another possibility for you.

Closed Thread

Tags
nausea, sick, stomach