It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

werlmc02 HB User
Exclamation No bowel movement in 7 days.

Help me. Someone.
I have IBS and Gerd. This severe constipation has been going on for awhile. Months even. I have been doing all the tricks in the book to produce a bowl movement, and nothing. Usually I can produce something...
Last week Sunday I had an enema, after not being able to go for 5 days. That produced 4 watery stools that day. After that Sunday, I have had lower abdominal pain, no appetite, and constipation. Went to the Doctor, three days later, he did labs. Everything looks fine...normal. Went the next day, day four to ER, they gave morphine and did CT scan, and more blood work...again all normal results. I bawled. I hurt so bad and still do: this is not normal. Since then I have had so much prune juice, drank castor oil, taken laxatives, taken stool softeners and Miralax...still nothing. I still have pain and I don't eat much and I still can't poop.

WHY????

Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: No bowel movement in 7 days.

I really wish ages were posted with questions as age is a very important factor in some health issues, like yours. You didn't mention what laxative you took or how much, but some are strong, some weak. Dulcolax is strong. Milk of Mg works well for a lot of people in 2=4 hrs and doses can be repeated if not. Stool softeners only prevent constipation, not relieve it. I would take something strong now then develop a routine for preventing constipation with plenty of fiber in diet or a fiber supplement, lots of water and regular exercise. Acacia fiber has been highly recommended on the IBS boards. It is important to rule out a structural problem like an obstruction, especially if you are over 40. Some people with severe constipation have gluten intolerance (others get diarrhea). Some drugs cause constipation, particlularly calcium channel blockers, pain meds, antidepressants. Low thyroid can cause a sluggish GI tract. Once you get cleaned out, if the constipation recurs, I would search for a reason, especially if this is something new.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
(female)

werlmc02 HB User
Smile Re: No bowel movement in 7 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
I really wish ages were posted with questions as age is a very important factor in some health issues, like yours. You didn't mention what laxative you took or how much, but some are strong, some weak. Dulcolax is strong. Milk of Mg works well for a lot of people in 2=4 hrs and doses can be repeated if not. Stool softeners only prevent constipation, not relieve it. I would take something strong now then develop a routine for preventing constipation with plenty of fiber in diet or a fiber supplement, lots of water and regular exercise. Acacia fiber has been highly recommended on the IBS boards. It is important to rule out a structural problem like an obstruction, especially if you are over 40. Some people with severe constipation have gluten intolerance (others get diarrhea). Some drugs cause constipation, particlularly calcium channel blockers, pain meds, antidepressants. Low thyroid can cause a sluggish GI tract. Once you get cleaned out, if the constipation recurs, I would search for a reason, especially if this is something new.
Thank you for your reply. I am 23 years old. I am on some prescription medication for differnt things. I don't have Celiac disease. I don't have an obstruction, that's what the CT scan showed. I have taken prune juice, castor oil, a generic form of laxitive (walgreens) and stool softener. I am drinking lots of water. At least 120 0z or more. I exercise some, not enough though, that I could increase. Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: No bowel movement in 7 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werlmc02 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I am 23 years old. I am on some prescription medication for differnt things. I don't have Celiac disease. I don't have an obstruction, that's what the CT scan showed. I have taken prune juice, castor oil, a generic form of laxitive (walgreens) and stool softener. I am drinking lots of water. At least 120 0z or more. I exercise some, not enough though, that I could increase. Thanks again.
You may not be obstructed but still could be impacted in the rectum and it might not show on a CT scan. Even 1 dose of morphine will make your constipation worse. I know from having one dose of morphine in the ER last year and then couldn't move my bowels for 3 days afterwards, I had to use a glycerin suppository with lots of vaseline on the tip to make it go in easier and even then it hurt so bad to go that I had tears streaming down my face from pushing and forcing so hard to make the stool to come out.
Try using a glycerin suppository and put a glove on one hand and use your finger tip to put vaseline on the anus area and lots on the tip of the suppository. Take a short brisk walk before and after using the suppository to try to activate peristalsis. This may take several hours to work and if it doesn't work you may have to use a oil based enema or have to go back to the ER and have nurse dis-impact you. This hurts a lot and is very embarrassing but you have to have it done if nothing else works or you will end up with bowel obstruction which can be life-threatening.
I have had had life long problems with chronic constipation so I understand the pain and discomfort that comes with it. The only way I am able to keep myself from getting constipated anymore,is to make sure I make time every morning to sit on the toilet and move my bowels even before I get into the shower. This can take me 5 minutes or as long as 30 minutes if I don't eat enough fiber in my diet the day before and don't drink enough water. I hope this helps you !

Closed Thread