It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
(male)

codell23 HB User
extreme stomach pain the night after heartburn

Hello all, I have an odd thing that's been going on for years and I hoping someone has had a similar experience since the doctor had no clue and I'm hoping to avoid an endoscopy for this as I can't afford it.

My problem is that I get terrible pain after eating breakfast. The pain is a few inches below my sternum ends, dead front center. It doesn't seem to matter what I have eaten. It takes a few hours after eating and then generally the pain gets worse and worse until I have to vomit to stop it. After that I can only eat simple carbs and light broths and such for about a day. The pain is usually accompanied by heartburn and for a few days after this happens I get mild heartburn with just about any meal.

One thing I have figured out is that this seems to always occur if I have had heartburn the night before and not treated it with something like a few Tums. What seems crazy to me is that my GF and friends often eat and drink the same things as me at night and never have trouble the next day. This makes me feel like I have a condition rather than it just being the regular punishment for a tasty pizza and beer night or what not heheh

I have had this for years now and it so frustrating not knowing what is going on. Do any of you have this particular issue?

Thank you for your time.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: extreme stomach pain the night after heartburn

It sounds like your symptoms could be related to acid reflux, especially if you are experiencing heartburn. I have found that acid reflux can cause a variety of nasty symptoms (not always heartburn), and can vary greatly from person to person. Have you tried anything stronger than Tums for reflux? My reflux came on suddenly this past February and didn't respond to dietary changes, antacids, or low-dose PPIs. Most of my symptoms are now finally under control with Dexilant 60 mg, which, according to my doctor, is one of the strongest PPIs available.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Well, some people just have a slightly more sensitive digestion. Other people have allergies. Other people have joint pain. It may be that you just need to avoid alcohol, pizza and overeating.

If it keeps happening after you adjust your diet, then see a gastroenterologist.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
(male)

codell23 HB User

I was hoping to stay away from anything much stronger than basic antacids mostly because of the long term effects. But it may come to that. I'll try altering my diet once again but I still wonder why I'm the only person I know that can't deal with what seems to be a fairly decent diet with only occasional heavy eating.

One thing I have been wondering is could having low allergies with low level nasal drip be a culprit for stomach issues? I wish more Dr's were knowledgeable of multiple fields but so far the gastros I have seen only seem to want to prescribe medicines without getting to the heart of the matter or looking for co-factors.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, when the drip winds up in your stomach, it can cause digestive problems. You can try to stop it through antihistamines, prescription nasal sprays, or allergy shots. I find that Flonase works pretty well for me.

Sometimes "Why?" isn't the best question. "Why do I have this problem and no one else does?" isn't terribly productive. There are lots of people with upper digestive issues, some of them quite severe. It's better to ask, "What can I do to manage it?"

Be careful about your diet. Try to treat the allergies. If that's not enough, then maybe stomach drugs. I do think, however, that prescription medicines for GERD should be used only after non-drug measures fail.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
(male)

codell23 HB User

Thanks Jane. You are right and I should try not to be so frustrated. I guess I just feel so weak when I see others around me having no issues, but for sure it could be worse and maybe I should take it as an opportunity to have an extra clean diet that will benefit me anyway.

I'll post back if I figure anything out, I'm hoping this may be more allergy related than food allergy related.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by codell23 View Post
I was hoping to stay away from anything much stronger than basic antacids mostly because of the long term effects. But it may come to that. I'll try altering my diet once again but I still wonder why I'm the only person I know that can't deal with what seems to be a fairly decent diet with only occasional heavy eating.

One thing I have been wondering is could having low allergies with low level nasal drip be a culprit for stomach issues? I wish more Dr's were knowledgeable of multiple fields but so far the gastros I have seen only seem to want to prescribe medicines without getting to the heart of the matter or looking for co-factors.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by codell23 View Post

\If you are having stomach problems, such as acid reflux,forget those meds because they are nothing but a cover up of the problem and only numb the area for so long. I was on one Prevacid and then the dr. put me on two. I came home and looked into something natural and it did the trick. Go buy some aloe vera tablets or juice and drink some several times a day. It will do wonders. I have not taken a stomach medication in years and my acid reflux was HORRIBLE. You must stick with the aloe vera juice and give it time to work. I think he heals the adhesions in ones digestive track.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You were wondering why the drs. don't know more about this. It is because there are big bucks in the pharmacy field and the drs. and the pill crowd walk hand in hand. Now, I am not saying that NO pill is necessary, by any means. However, I am saying one for acid reflux is a waste of money and it will save you going back to your dr. and having all sorts of tests done.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
(male)

codell23 HB User

thanks all, much appreciated, i'll work on things and get back to you with any results. for now i'm just glad this probably isn't an ulcer

Old 09-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please do let me know how you make out. I just want to add that aloe vera works for most digestive problems. Good luck!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
(male)

codell23 HB User

thanks and i have used aloe when it gets very bad. i'm just wanting to live a life where i don't have to supplement constantly to be ok, so i'll deal with diet restrictions first and see how it goes. thanks.

Closed Thread