It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

joykay13 HB User
Angry Can you die from GERD or is it something more serious?

I swear to God I feel like I,m dying! This problem has been going on for almost a month, but it really ramped it up when I was given a sack of garden tomatoes and began eating some every day to get rid of them. I have this extreme pain in my throat, going into my eustascion tube and ears. My stomach also hurts and the pain radiates into my upper back. I feel most of the time as if I have this huge ball in my throat that won,t go down and in the meantime my stomach is hurting and burning. My doctor says GERD and gave me Prevacid and it helped for about a week. Now its back with a vengence! If I drink a large drink of water whatever is in my throat seems as if it went down, but within minutes its back as bad as ever. I have no appetite and I,m afraid to eat if I was hungry. I,m at my wits end. I do not want to go through a battery of tests to be told yep! It,s GERD! wHT ISN,T THERE ANYTHING OUT THERE THAT HELPS? i,VE TAKEN IT ALL. gAS PILLS, BAKING SODA, ALSK SELTZER, PREVACID, ZANTAC, CARAFATE. nOTHING HELPS FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

waters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB Userwaters04 HB User
Re: Can you die from GERD or is it something more serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joykay13 View Post
I swear to God I feel like I,m dying! This problem has been going on for almost a month, but it really ramped it up when I was given a sack of garden tomatoes and began eating some every day to get rid of them. I have this extreme pain in my throat, going into my eustascion tube and ears. My stomach also hurts and the pain radiates into my upper back. I feel most of the time as if I have this huge ball in my throat that won,t go down and in the meantime my stomach is hurting and burning. My doctor says GERD and gave me Prevacid and it helped for about a week. Now its back with a vengence! If I drink a large drink of water whatever is in my throat seems as if it went down, but within minutes its back as bad as ever. I have no appetite and I,m afraid to eat if I was hungry. I,m at my wits end. I do not want to go through a battery of tests to be told yep! It,s GERD! wHT ISN,T THERE ANYTHING OUT THERE THAT HELPS? i,VE TAKEN IT ALL. gAS PILLS, BAKING SODA, ALSK SELTZER, PREVACID, ZANTAC, CARAFATE. nOTHING HELPS FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME.
If it's in the upper esophagus and throat it could be LDR. And as for both there are many treatment options available. I'm currently on a massive dose of Dexilant. You might need a different acid reflux medicine or a higher dose. Prevacid, Zantac, and Protonix did nothing for me. Talk to you dr. And if that dr is not receptive to your concerns and problems, maybe a second opinion. I was dxd with GERD after an endoscopy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:

Tomatoes are very acidic and can contribute to acid reflux problems. Also, have you considered the fact you might be allergic to the tomatoes ?
Years of acid reflux can damage the esophagus that leads to Barret's syndrome which can be a precursor to esphageal cancer. Don't lie down for at least two hours after eating a meal and stop eating after 8pm at night to help prevent acid reflux. Put the head of your bed up on bed risers or use a pillow wedge so you're not lying flat. Watch your diet and keep away from spicy,greasy,fatty,and acidic foods that can contribute to the acid reflux.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
(female)

ettabet HB User

Quote:

Hi Joykay...Have you considered that you may be having esophigus spasums?
It is very painful, and often feels like you have food stuck in your upper esophigus, the pain can radiate into your back, shoulder, neck, jaw, and is the most painful thing in the world. Try starting your day with tea instead of solids, and when the pain starts get into a hot shower and let the water run on your back and shoulders and on your chest... ask your dr. about anti spasum medicaton. It wont stop it forever, but it will cut down on how often it happens. I think that maybe getting a little camera down your throat by the dr. to see what is going on in there is a good idea, it doesn't hurt at all, and they kind of put you in a twilight sleep and you don't even remember a thing, but they can see what is causing your pain before it gets worse and harder to treat. Im sorry your going threw this... I know its horrid.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
(female)

Lollypat HB User

Poor thing! You didn't say how old you are, but I know I began having really bad heartburn at 18-19, while I was pregnant. It never went away. And I am 60 now. I am diagnosed with a genetic hyperacid stomach and GERD.

I began with Tagamet, Zantac, Prilosec, you name it through the years, and most of it did no good until I was prescribed with Nexium. Nexium and Dexalant are both PPI's, or proton-pump inhibitors. They actually turn off the acids producers in your stomach lining. I'm not sure how the other meds work, but they had no affect on me at all. Nexium and Dexalant are the only thing that help me.

I do keep double strength Prevacid on hand in case I run short, and as long as I take two, it'll see me through the night. You should check with your doctor first though.

Stop eating anything with tomatoes, citrus, milk (actually causes acid), fat, or anything that tastes really good. That's how I felt for years, anyway, like I couldn't eat anything that had a lot of flavor, because the acid would just roar up my esophagus and into my throat and mouth and all I could do was cry.

Also, get checked for hiatal hernia. I have a small one, and it only makes it worse. Get checked for gall stones as well.

Find out! Find a good, board-certified gastroenterologist and do it soon.

Good luck!

Last edited by Lollypat; 10-06-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
(male)

gorkhali221 HB User

do not take any PPI ( proton pumps inhibitors ) for treatment option .

Reply Reply