HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Digestive Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/)
-   -   Schatzki Ring diagnosed in 1999 (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/digestive-disorders/917916-schatzki-ring-diagnosed-1999-a.html)

sally2009 09-11-2012 04:18 AM

Schatzki Ring diagnosed in 1999

In 1999 I was diagnosed by barium swallow on Xray with a Schatzki Ring related to a hernia.

Of course medical science has improved since then.

Over the last couple of years every now and then I can take a tablet and it has the sensation maybe stuck in my wind pipe as it can be very uncomfortable. It feels more like its stuck in my chest though and not my throat and can last for hours. The ring may have tightened over the years.

Does anyone have this problem with pills getting stuck who have a Schatzki Ring ?

janewhite1 09-11-2012 07:29 PM

Re: Schatzki Ring diagnosed in 1999

The stuck-in-your-chest feeling is definitely a sign of an esophagus problem such as schatzki's ring. However, it can be easily fixed. A doctor can dilate the ring by endoscopy (sticking a tube through your mouth.) No surgery necessary, although there may be some discomfort for a couple weeks.

Now, people who get it once may get another ring later on, so the fix might not be permanent. Still, the dilation should last a few years.

Ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist for endoscopic dilation. Until then, it might be easier to crush or chew pills rather than swallow them. (I have to do this myself, due to another digestive issue.)

sally2009 09-11-2012 07:51 PM

Hello Jane
I decided today to go and see a GP who I have seen off and on. She isnt my usual Dr.

She vaguely had heard of a Schatzki Ring so as I was sitting there she said I will look it up on Wikipedia !

She suggested a Endoscopy and I believe it is not cheap but told her that luckily I can pay as being a private patient

I said food gets stuck sometimes but its the tablets that are more troublesome and last for hours with out relief.

Also about two weeks ago I had a sip of a really cold fruit smoothie drink and it caused me to have what is known as a "chest freeze" like a ice cream headache but in the chest. The Dr said yes thats the esophagus doing that

Will be interesting to see how it compares to the test I had way back in 1999.
Thanks for input

janewhite1 09-11-2012 08:25 PM

It's always fun when you get to expand your doctor's knowledge, isn't it? (Sarcasm.)

Still, glad you got the referral. An endoscopy in the US tends to cost about $1000 without insurance, sometimes a bit more, although that includes sedation with IV drugs. Not sure what it costs there.

sally2009 09-12-2012 06:31 PM

It was kind of funny in Drs rooms telling her what I knew about the ring. I said to her I had looked it up and it was a band etc and she said shed look it up on Wikipedia and was reading it out. I said to her so it doesnt seem that common.

She said she had vaguely heard of it

Im sure in 1999 the Dr said some people have the ring and dont even know