It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
(female)

harperb HB User
Are these symptoms from my hiatal hernia?

In June I was diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia and mild gastritis. At the time, most of my pain was right-sided, underneath my ribs. I also had a HIDA scan of my gallbladder which came back low but normal (ejection fraction 39). Over the last month or two, the pains have shifted more to the left. I've had pains underneath my left rib about 2 inches to the left of the bottom of my sternum. There were times the pain would wake me up from sleep and I thought I was having a heart attack. Usually the pain isn't that severe but I have this persistent feeling that there's *something* (air, phlegm, acid, I have no idea) in my esophagus/lungs (again, no idea) that is interfering with my breathing. It makes me feel like I need to cough, but there's nothing to cough up. I don't think there's a problem with my heart or lungs, but it's a very confusing feeling because I can't tell where it's originating. Sometimes I'm able to dig my fingers underneath my left rib, and when I push in, I feel some relief which makes me think it's the hernia. I'm wondering if the hiatal hernia is causing a little bit of acid to leak back and that's 'tickling' the nerves which is causing this sensation? Has anyone ever felt anything like this before?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
(male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User
Re: Are these symptoms from my hiatal hernia?

I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis, and GERD too and have been tested for lung and heart problems, which were negative

Interestingly enough I experience the same symptoms as you, but it is not related to my hernia - The doctors call it costochondritis. It can be scary because one day the pain is in the area around my sternum, the next week it's on the lower left side, and then the next week it could be in the upper right area

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
(female)

harperb HB User
Re: Are these symptoms from my hiatal hernia?

Thanks, Michael - that is interesting. About the same time I started developing these GI problems, I developed inflammation of the 2nd sternocostal joint on the left side and breast bone. I have also gotten intermittent pains in various areas of my ribs, usually on the sides (both right and left) which will last for a day or two and then magically go away. The doctor thought the inflammation could be a symptom of an autoimmune disorder but all the blood work came back normal. I'm pretty sure it's Tietze's and costochondritis, but am still worried about underlying rheumatoid or autoimmune disease. This particular symptom *feels* more GI because the ribs themselves aren't tender (it feels like the pain is coming from beneath the left rib), but there's no question the costo makes the symptoms even more confusing to sort out.

Closed Thread

Tags
hiatal hernia