It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Pleaseeee help. im at the end of my rope :(

Hi
Ive done a lactose free diet for past two weeks to see if it IS the lactose thats making my digestive problems unbearable.

I think it's been slightly better. The wind and passing of wind (sorry) have been pretty much the same, but waking with the tummy ache has got a lot better.

So this weekend i went away with Hubby for his birthday and thought i am going to have some dairy as its so boring and difficult without it.

I had a cream tea with clotted cream yesterday afternoon, and within 2 hours i had wind bubbling in my tummy, with gripy pains and a lot of passing of wind too.

So today i woke at hotel and avoided dairy once more and had a cooked breakfast without dairy. I was ok. Then i came home, went shopping and had my usual soya starbucks hot choc which is totally free of dairy, AND i decided to have a couple of biscuits ( dairy). one hour later it started again, cramps, like a massive painful bubble going through my intestines, gas, pain, horrible. the pain came in waves and hurt so much at one point i was sweating. I went and empytied my bowels which helped short term, then ate some pasta with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese, and hour later it started again. I just emptyied my bowels again and it was loose not quite diarroreah but almost (sorry for graphics). Again its eased slightly. I dont know if its dairy or ANY food consumption. The pain has been awful this afternoon. I'm scared when it starts that i wont be able to tolerate the wind /gas pain and have to go to hospital.

I am seriously at the end of my rope with this. I THINK it could be dairy related, i think i will again tomorrow start a lactose free diet maybe for a while longer and see again if things ease up.

My Gastro Doc is rubbish, they have no idea and i only see him once every 6 mths. Ive had an endo and all is ok except a small hiatus hernia which gives me heartburn. But this pain from the wind pain in my stomach is unbearable when it comes. What shall i do , please help, i dont know where to go with this anymore. My GP says stick with the lactose free diet until my recent blood tests to see if im intolerant comes back, so i guess i'll do that.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has lactose intolerance or suffers the same as me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
(female)

works4me2 HB User
Re: Pleaseeee help. im at the end of my rope :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrybucket View Post
Hi
Ive done a lactose free diet for past two weeks to see if it IS the lactose thats making my digestive problems unbearable.

I think it's been slightly better. The wind and passing of wind (sorry) have been pretty much the same, but waking with the tummy ache has got a lot better.

So this weekend i went away with Hubby for his birthday and thought i am going to have some dairy as its so boring and difficult without it.

I had a cream tea with clotted cream yesterday afternoon, and within 2 hours i had wind bubbling in my tummy, with gripy pains and a lot of passing of wind too.

So today i woke at hotel and avoided dairy once more and had a cooked breakfast without dairy. I was ok. Then i came home, went shopping and had my usual soya starbucks hot choc which is totally free of dairy, AND i decided to have a couple of biscuits ( dairy). one hour later it started again, cramps, like a massive painful bubble going through my intestines, gas, pain, horrible. the pain came in waves and hurt so much at one point i was sweating. I went and empytied my bowels which helped short term, then ate some pasta with a tiny bit of parmesan cheese, and hour later it started again. I just emptyied my bowels again and it was loose not quite diarroreah but almost (sorry for graphics). Again its eased slightly. I dont know if its dairy or ANY food consumption. The pain has been awful this afternoon. I'm scared when it starts that i wont be able to tolerate the wind /gas pain and have to go to hospital.

I am seriously at the end of my rope with this. I THINK it could be dairy related, i think i will again tomorrow start a lactose free diet maybe for a while longer and see again if things ease up.

My Gastro Doc is rubbish, they have no idea and i only see him once every 6 mths. Ive had an endo and all is ok except a small hiatus hernia which gives me heartburn. But this pain from the wind pain in my stomach is unbearable when it comes. What shall i do , please help, i dont know where to go with this anymore. My GP says stick with the lactose free diet until my recent blood tests to see if im intolerant comes back, so i guess i'll do that.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has lactose intolerance or suffers the same as me.

Hi Worrybucket,

My daughter was presenting with the very same symptoms you are presenting with during her 2nd year of undergrad. She had to drop classes due to the symptoms and I stayed on the phone with her all night, while she trekked to the ER with no relief. She was told she had a hiatal hernia; but, that was a misdiagnosis. As it turns out, we discovered by food elimination that she is gluten/yeast/dairy intolerant. Proclamations are made that the food intolerances can lead to becoming celiac, if gone undetected. Can also lead to a leaky gut. She's organic vegan now, enrolled in 1st year of law school; and symptom free. Adopting a high-fiber diet helped her; as well as eliminating gluten/yeast/dairy/sugar/junk foods/packaged/processed/all canned fish, canned vegetables and canned soups worked! It is my understanding that celiac is hereditary. I had the same symptoms that commenced during my pregnancy with her, an only child... then became progressively worse over the years, but I didn't know what to attribute it to at the time. It, wheat/gluten intolerance can be triggered by stress, pregnancy, surgery or other life-changing events. Also, I recommend a parasite cleanser along with a liver/gallbladder detox. These items may be purchased online. Paratrex WORKS GREAT!!! You will feel bad initially after taking it, but that's normal. Your body will be going through withdrawal during the parasite elimination. Also, drink lots of alkaline water. You will be surprised in what your intestines are harboring. You'll feel much better overall and will also eliminate your food allergies. STAY GLUTEN/WHEAT/SUGAR/DAIRY FREE and live a longer, healthier life.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi
thanks for your reply.

I had a test result back which was to find out if i am celiac, it was fine. Im insisting on having the hydrogen breath test for lactose intolerance done now. Today i feel horrible. I have a headache, im lathargic my tummy feels queasy, and im back on strict lactose free foods again.

I now have to wait for this test as going by symptoms on internet i really could be lactose intolerant. this could be after two bouts of camplyobacter in 2 years which i think had wrecked my gut flors and gut generally.

I have to find out soon as i feel really ill and tired with tis, whatever it is.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
(female)

Twinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB UserTwinkie50 HB User

Quote:
Hi
thanks for your reply.

I had a test result back which was to find out if i am celiac, it was fine. Im insisting on having the hydrogen breath test for lactose intolerance done now. Today i feel horrible. I have a headache, im lathargic my tummy feels queasy, and im back on strict lactose free foods again.

I now have to wait for this test as going by symptoms on internet i really could be lactose intolerant. this could be after two bouts of camplyobacter in 2 years which i think had wrecked my gut flors and gut generally.

I have to find out soon as i feel really ill and tired with tis, whatever it is.
Maybe you have small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Maybe do some research about it and see if your GI doctor can do a hydrogen breath test for bacterial overgrowth - I believe it is a separate test from the one to test for lactose intolerance. Antibiotic therapy and dietary changes are a must to keep it under control. MaryAnn

Old 09-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok so this is this now......

I tried ( probably for not long enough) to do a lactose free diet, i did it for 2 weeks. I think my stomach was a little calmer. Then i went away at the weekend and had a cream tea ( clotted cream, dairy stuff) and when i go tback i had a nasty gassy painful stomach again. So i decided againt to start again with the lactose free diet. Ive been doing it two days again and i thought iut might be ok, but im not so sure its the dairy causing it now as i have just eaten and my stomach is exploding with smelly gas again. There was no dairy in my dinner but it was a medium strength curry. It is like any food i eat is poison to my gut. I'm full of wind. I also noticed it after i emptyied my bowel.

Im waiting for a hydrogen breath test to see if im lactose free but my Doctor is in no hurry while i suffer this hour after hour. It's getting me down ( Could i have another stomach infection, or my flors is whacko? or IBS ?

Old 09-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today the wonderful nhs said I have to wait 6 months for a hydrochloride breath test to see if I'm lactose intolerant . 6 months!!!!!

I am now forced, as each day I'm in pain within this chronic wind, to pay almost £200 for it to be done privately. This country disgusts me. When there are so many people abusing the system and people who genuinely need it have to suffer. It's all wrong.

But at least ,although I will be broke this month, I will eliminate another possibility OR find a way of treating this, it's awful.

Rant over

Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I feel like im dying....

I know something isn't right, my body is struggling to work. I thought maybe it was lactose intolerance (im having a test on thrusday) but ive almost cut out dairy and i still dont feel well, maybe it will take a bit longer.

It seems that everything that goes into my stomach makes my stomach windy, bloated, and painful.

Now ive started to feel nauseaous which i never did before. Im not losing weight. im a little constipated, i also feel lethargic and am having headaches. Today my tongue is burning ??

Im seeing my gastro on the 18th october im gonna have to start being tough with him because he fobs me off every 4 months saying its IBS, if it is IBS then at least i can alter my diet and take something to help, but i just dont know what im up against here, so dont know where to start.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
(female)

[B[/B]
Quote:
I feel like im dying....

I know something isn't right, my body is struggling to work. I thought maybe it was lactose intolerance (im having a test on thrusday) but ive almost cut out dairy and i still dont feel well, maybe it will take a bit longer.

It seems that everything that goes into my stomach makes my stomach windy, bloated, and painful.

Now ive started to feel nauseaous which i never did before. Im not losing weight. im a little constipated, i also feel lethargic and am having headaches. Today my tongue is burning ??

Im seeing my gastro on the 18th october im gonna have to start being tough with him because he fobs me off every 4 months saying its IBS, if it is IBS then at least i can alter my diet and take something to help, but i just dont know what im up against here, so dont know where to start.
I would really inquire about testing for bacterial overgrowth. If cutting out dairy is not allieviating your symptoms entirely, you may need antibiotics if you test positive for bacterial overgrowth and a major change in diet - not just eliminating dairy.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

i did have a camplyobacter infection a few months ago for the second time in 2 years. but i had a week of antibiotics and it seemed to go away. Maybe the infection didnt clear right up, but wouldnt I have diarroreah as a symptom? im slightly constipated.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
i did have a camplyobacter infection a few months ago for the second time in 2 years. but i had a week of antibiotics and it seemed to go away. Maybe the infection didnt clear right up, but wouldnt I have diarroreah as a symptom? im slightly constipated.
Constipation can be part of sibo too. Just do some research on Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth on the internet. Many with IBS have it. MaryAnn Oh, P.S. I had constipation too - never diarrhea and have been battling it for a year and a half now.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ive been reading up on SIBO. It could have been written by ME !! i have every symptom it shows apart from the diarroreah(thank goodness)

the one thing which made me look up was that people with very slow empyting of the stomach can get this. I had a scan recentyl which showed exactly this, my stomach takes longer than normal to empty. Also if a person had had a bacterial infection, ive had 2 bouts of camplyobacter.

IT just seems weird that i have all the symptoms, and there is a test to test for this too !!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Ive been reading up on SIBO. It could have been written by ME !! i have every symptom it shows apart from the diarroreah(thank goodness)

the one thing which made me look up was that people with very slow empyting of the stomach can get this. I had a scan recentyl which showed exactly this, my stomach takes longer than normal to empty. Also if a person had had a bacterial infection, ive had 2 bouts of camplyobacter.

IT just seems weird that i have all the symptoms, and there is a test to test for this too !!
Worth asking your GI doctor for the breath test to see if you have it. You kinda know already your lactose intolerant due to the fact that you feel better off dairy!!! Good luck

Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I dunno if I'm much better off of dairy. It seems any food I eat irritates my stomach. I'm having the hydrogen breath test done on Thursday, if I'm not lactose intolerant I have to be looking at this infection os small intestine thing.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm going for my hydrogen breath test tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I'm lactose intolerant but we will see.
I'm more inclined to think I may have this small intestine bacteria overgrowth now.

I will keep you all posted.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ive been for my hydrogen breath test today. I had to blow into a tube every 30 mins for 3 hours after drinking some lactulose water.

It peaked highish about 1 hr into test , then dipped back again, so i dont know if this is lactose intolerance or not as it came back down.

I get results on 18th october. Does anyone know what the readings mean?

Closed Thread