It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
(female)

MerryEyed HB User
Angry What My Attack Was Like

Hello. New here. 53 yr. old sedentary female workaholic, occasional smoker/drinker, 80lbs. overweight, "pre-diabetic," on Metformin.

I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last weekend & have received alot of good info on this board. I gather there is a wide variety of presenting signs & symptoms & thought I would share my experience:

I travel alot for work & work(ed) way too much. All that travel led to constant sitting & poor choices to eat alot of fast food crap.

When I am out of town I commonly experience disruption to my otherwise regular bowel pattern. 2 back-back wks. wreaked havoc on me.
I kept taking laxatives without much success, traveling & eating crap.
At the end of 2 wks. I felt really bloated, crabby & uncomfortable. I worked all day & couldn't wait to get home. After taking a bath & eating a little soup, I began to have chills & low abdominal discomfort, not exactly great pain.
I began to wonder if I had a bowel obstruction & of course, Googled the topic.
Reading through the signs, the words "medical emergency" caught my eye.
I decided to check my temp & indeed was feverish @ 100.4.

So: off to the ER I went.

The newbie resident promptly diagnosed me with constipation & I could tell he was blowing me off. The nurse could tell something more was afoot & pulled the Attending MD in more quickly.

He was very concerned with the (now increasing) pain & fever & ordered a CAT scan. He wanted w/contrast but something about a "med match" not being able to be done quickly, made them go w/o contrast.

By the time I got to CT the pain in my entire lower belly was much worse & I screamed out as I moved onto CT table & my left flank hit it.
From this scan I was diagnosed w/diverticulitis & admitted.

I couldn't pee at all & needed a catheter. I was treated w/ Flagyl & Cipro & clear liquid diet which I could barely look at let alone try to eat. Nausea & pain very present all the time.

I was kept 5 nights & then discharged on Cipro, Flagyl, Vicodin & Ducolace.

Long story longer, I included the demographic & lifestyle info for a reason: I truly believe I brought this on myself & I NEVER WANT TO GO THRU THIS AGAIN! Major lifestyle changes already undertaken. Wish me luck & I hope that maybe this presentation anecdote will help someone else decide: GO TO THE ER-ESP W/fever! This disease is nothing to mess with. I consider
myself lucky to not have perforated & hope I can stay on top of this. I still have a Barium enema & colonoscopy in my future!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread