It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User
Hiatal Hernia

This past summer, I had an endoscopy to try to diagnose a chronic cough I have had for 10 months. We didnít find anything out, but the doctor did mark on the paper that I have a small hiatal hernia (although he never mentioned it to me, which is odd). I am going back to see him in November, and am definitely going to address it with him.
I guess I am just wondering how serious this could be? Can it heal on its own? I am still coughing (a lot), so is there a chance I am making it worse?
Tonight I had a rather scary experience. I was eating dinner and started to get this pain in my chest. I also realized I was very full, despite the fact that I hadnít really eaten a lot. I am assuming it has to do with what I was eating (veggi lasagna-which was rather greasy due to the cheese and ginger ale- I try to avoid soda as much as possible so having the carbonation was unusual for me). I took a digestive enzyme and the feeling eventually went away. I am guessing that these were symptoms from the hernia, right?
I am just worried that this could be (or could turn into) something serious. Does anyone have any information that could help me? Thanks a bunch!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Hiatal Hernia

Hi,
I have a small hiatul hernia. Which was diagnosed by endoscope after having chronic heartburn anf a really bad cough i couldnt shift.

I took prednisilone which is a steroid for about a week, this stopped this couhg and i felt a lot better, but it did come back although not as bad after i finished the pills, you can only take them for a limited amount of time.

The hernia is probably whats causing the cough as its to do with acid reflux. you need to eat at least 4-5 hours before bedtime prop yourself up high in bed to stop the acid coming into your throat

Make sure you do get some answers about the hernia from your Doctor, they are all quick to dismiss the ailments they feel are small. My hernia certainly doesn't go un noticed, its not trivial, and it does cause problems. So tackle with that and leave off the soda its the very worst thing for bad stomachs. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread