It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
(male)

smcmullin HB User
Dull, constant pain on right side

Hello Everyone,

I have posted here about this before. I'm just looking to get a new perspective. I have an ongoing pain on my right side pretty much all the time. Is it unbearable? No. Is it annoying? Yes. Does it spike after a meal? Not really.

I have been fed everything from IBS to gallbladder but nothing definitive. I tested negative for celiac disease and eat very healthy and am active. I've also had a CT scan of my gallbladder that showed "gravel" or "sand" as they called it.

I had a colonoscopy done (family history of colon cancer) that came back clean.

This has been going on for over a year. Anyone have a thought?

Bowel movements are frequent (daily) and normal. Nothing unusual in them.

29 Year old Male
6"3 170lbs Athletic build

No medical history to speak of.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Dull, constant pain on right side

well, if you have sludge in your gallbladder that at least part of the problem. Have you had an ultrasound of the gallbladder? That would be the next step. Then a HIDA Scan to test for function level with normal being between 35 and 75%.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
(male)

smcmullin HB User

I think it was an ultra sound I originally had. The reason the doctors don't think it's the gallbladder is because the pain really doesn't change too much. Meaning, it doesn't spike after I eat a fatty meal and it really isn't a "sharp" pain.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
(female)

gingersnap1976 HB User

I had a dull, constant pain in my left side. It took several months and several tests (chest x-ray, CT scan, blood tests, and upper endoscopy) but I have finally have a diagnosis of autoimmune gastritis. I did get more digestive pain as time went on but it started out as just a dull abdominal pain. Doctors tried to tell me it was muscle pain for almost two months but I kept persisting. So if you haven't had an upper endoscopy, I would see if a gastro doctor would be willing to do one. Especially if you have anemia (finally found out the cause of my anemia - I don't have instrinsic factor for vitamin B12).

Old 10-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd still ask for a HIDA Scan. The sludge could be causing low function.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
(male)

smcmullin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I'd still ask for a HIDA Scan. The sludge could be causing low function.
Thanks again for the reply. If I get the HIDA scan and it's low functionality, should I have this beast taken out? It's been years of feeling like crap but I've heard it can be rough after getting the gallbladder out. Basically, I want to know if I should roll the dice and have it taken out.

I also know/think the doctors may still go back to me and tell me it's IBS. There's no doubt in my mind it isn't IBS.

A friend also recommended this to try: AF Beta food. So I bought it and it's coming. Thoughts on that?

Last edited by moderator2; 10-22-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
(male)

smcmullin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingersnap1976 View Post
I had a dull, constant pain in my left side. It took several months and several tests (chest x-ray, CT scan, blood tests, and upper endoscopy) but I have finally have a diagnosis of autoimmune gastritis. I did get more digestive pain as time went on but it started out as just a dull abdominal pain. Doctors tried to tell me it was muscle pain for almost two months but I kept persisting. So if you haven't had an upper endoscopy, I would see if a gastro doctor would be willing to do one. Especially if you have anemia (finally found out the cause of my anemia - I don't have instrinsic factor for vitamin B12).
Thanks for the reply and thoughts on it. I've had these symptoms for years. Yes, years but I've just dealt with it. At the end of the day, the only solid evidence I have is the gallbladder scan that showed sand or sludge in there. I'm at a bit of a loss, but it seems I'm due to go back to the GI. I'll bring up your autoimmune gastritis suggestion. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
(female)

Tayook HB User

I have been dealing with the same exact symptoms for three years. I have been told everythig from IBS to a pulled miscle. Lots of blood work, ultrasounds, and tests. Nothing ever out of the ordinary.

My OB finally found a very large complex cyst and I had a lap to have it removed. Was hopng it would solve this problem, but 10 days post op and it is still there.

Finally saw a doctor that siggested this HIDA scan after they do one more ultrasound. Really do not want another surgery = ( please update this if you find anything out.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #9
(female)

Tayook HB User

I have been dealing with the same exact symptoms for three years. I have been told everythig from IBS to a pulled miscle. Lots of blood work, ultrasounds, and tests. Nothing ever out of the ordinary.

My OB finally found a very large complex cyst and I had a lap to have it removed. Was hopng it would solve this problem, but 10 days post op and it is still there.

Finally saw a doctor that siggested this HIDA scan after they do one more ultrasound. Really do not want another surgery = ( please update this if you find anything out.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
(male)

Leocleo HB User
Smile Re: Dull, constant pain on right side

Hi all, Have had a dull, what I call a burning sensation in my right abdomen, 5 in. to right side of belly button and about 1 1/2 to 2 in. below rib cage. It now has gone on for about 6 mos.. It comes and goes and can persist for up to 3 weeks at a time. Have had a CT scan done which the doctor said shows nothing that would cause the problem I'm having. I will be having a double hernia operation in about 2 weeks and hopefully then maybe the pain will go away. The hernias I have had going on three years now but have gotten to the point that one side is just starting to protrude. So I am wondering if that pain though coming from that lower region might be radiating upwards. Will let everyone know what the results after surgery are. Thanks

Last edited by Leocleo; 02-20-2013 at 01:20 AM. Reason: BTW what is an HIDA scan and what does it involve?

Reply Reply

Tags
gallbladder, ibs, pain