It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

rsafipour HB User
Colonoscopy and Upper Endoscopy (EGD) without sedation

Hi all,

I just did both a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy (EGD) with no sedation. I know that deciding whether to use sedation is something people often ask about, so I thought I would share my experience with the world as it might help others make the decision about whether or not to use sedation.

EGD: This was rather unpleasant. They gave me a throat spay to numb the back of my throat. When my throat went numb at first I felt like I was choking, and I had to calm myself down and focus on my breathing. Then he put the camera in and I immediately began to gag. I was gagging and drooling the whole time and felt like throwing up (but I couldn't because my stomach was empty). However, the good thing is that it was really fast. It only took about 2 minutes. I was really amazed by how fast the doc managed to do it. So anyways, it was two minutes of serious discomfort. I think it was worth it to do it without sedation and just be able to walk away and drive home instead of having to recover from sedation meds.

Colonoscopy: This was easier than the EGD. Most of the time it did not hurt at all. At one point the cable got a loop in it and the doc had to wiggle it around a lot to get it straightened out. That part did hurt. It was about like having really bad gas cramps. Once he got it straightened out it was fine again. He let me watch the monitor the whole time and explained everything I was seeing. It was really neat to see the inside of my intestines! I'm definitely glad I was awake for this.

Afterwards I feel fine except my throat is mildy soar. My final take would be that probably most people could do the colonoscopy without sedation. For the EGD it just depends what your tolerance for discomfort is. It wasn't fun, but it was over fast and I got through it.

-Rox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
Re: Colonoscopy and Upper Endoscopy (EGD) without sedation

You are really brave !!

Ive had both done and begged for some sedation with both.

the upper was fine i remember gagging when they pulled out the tube, thats it. The lower i remember a sharp pain which may have been the same thing that happened to you, with the twisted tube.

But this is me and i would never be able to go ahead with either of those procedures without sedation, so well done you.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
(male)

demetri66 HB User

Good for you!
Sounds like it was a success. Hope your results were good.
I had my colo/endo done 10 years ago, and i was awake up until the endoscopy. Youre right it was cool to look into my intestines. Got to see the doctor snip out a bunch of polyps. Im going again this tuesday but they plan on knocking me out for both ends. Wheres the fun in that?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
(female)

rsafipour HB User

You might try asking the doc if he will do it without sedation. I was initially told I had to be sedated for both procedures, but i called the office a few weeks before and asked if they would try it without sedation. They seemed surprised at my request, but the doctor agreed to it. You might be surprised what they'll agree to if you just ask

Last edited by rsafipour; 10-21-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
(male)

demetri66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsafipour View Post
You might try asking the doc if he will do it without sedation. I was initially told I had to be sedated for both procedures, but i called the office a few weeks before and asked if they would try it without sedation. They seemed surprised at my request, but the doctor agreed to it. You might be surprised what they'll agree to if you just ask
weeks? I wish! I'm going day after tomorrow. Right now I'm fighting a wicked prostate infection too. Going I get better in time for the procedure.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
(female)

rsafipour HB User

ouch. sounds like you're in pain already. well maybe it is a good thing for you to be knocked out then. sounds like you don't need to be dealing with anything else right now. get well soon!

Old 10-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
(male)

demetri66 HB User

Thanks for the kind wishes!
Hopefully a good nights sleep will help me repair myself. Lately it's like ive fallen apart.

Reply Reply

Tags
colonoscopy, egd, sedation