It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

pleasehelp11 HB User
Entire family very bloated and gassy... please help

Almost four weeks ago, I suddenly started feeling very bloated. My stomach was churning almost constantly, and I could feel it producing lots of gas inside me. It was very frustrating and uncomfortable, and I went to lengths to get it out (coughing, burping, etc...). I had no other abdominal symptoms, other than the occasional pain or nausea from pent up gas. I went to the doctor, suspecting parasites. My doctor gave me a blood test and a test for intestinal parasites, all of which came back normal/negative. I was told it might be a virus, and that it should go away on its own in a few days.

I live with my family. My parents and sister both started having abdominal problems about a week before my bloatedness began. My father vomited a few times early on, but the vomiting quickly subsided. My sister and mother have been experiencing diarrhea and stomachaches for the past 5 weeks. All of us feel very gassy and bloated.

What could it be? I went back to my doctor and asked to be tested for h pylori. The results were again negative. I'm at my wit's end trying to figure out what we could possibly have contracted. I've been eating lots of probiotic yogurt, and it seems to help some. Please help?

Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User
Re: Entire family very bloated and gassy... please help

Hi there, You might want to check your water supply. Anything you've changed in the house as far as water / food goes? Any new things you have started to eat or drink? It sounds as if this is related to something all of you are taking regularly. Any food brands you have changed to recently? Did by any chance all of you suffer any illnesses that got you on antibiotics? Sometimes bacterial activities inside the stomach (and yeast) can cause a lot of bloating. Clearing these gets rid of the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

It seems weird all of your family have same symptoms. It all points to something you are all eating, or maybe drinking.

You might want to read my posts they are very similiar and its really frustrating when the doctors cant get to the bottom of things.

I contracted a camplylobacter bug twice in last two years and i believe the aftermath of that is why my stomach is dreadful these days. that can come from contaminated dairy and or meat.

Was there a time when you all eat something like a joint of meat of a BBQ? I would ask the Doctor to test you for that too. Although amplyo gave me really really bad diarroreah and you dont seem to have that, unless it doesnt always come alongside diarroreah. Check it out and good luck. I know how you feel.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
(female)

pleasehelp11 HB User

Thanks for the comments. As far as we know, there have been no changes in our eating/drinking habits. My suspicion is that one of us became infected by some mysterious virus or bacteria, and then spread it to the rest of us.

Sometimes I feel pressure or that churning feeling in the area between my belly button and bottom of rib cage. Would this be occurring in my stomach? Liver? Spleen? Gallbladder?

I'm so confused. My only symptom currently is feeling bloated and gassy, which isn't too bad physically, but is otherwise causing me a lot of stress and anxiety. It's silly, but this is causing me to feel social anxiety and to not want to be around other people in public. It wouldn't be a big deal if I were living alone in the woods, but for someone who's naturally self conscious, it's very difficult for me to head into work or to social events feeling this way every day.

I'm considering begging my doctor for antibiotics of some type. Both times I went to the doctor for tests, I was told it might be a virus which should subside in a week or two. I keep trying to explain that this has been going on for almost 4 weeks now, only to be sent on my merry way. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Closed Thread