It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
(female)

pebbleblue HB User
Do I need the colonoscopy?

After suffering on and off for a couple of years then straight for a few months with upper abdominal pain,bowel movements going from one extreme to the other, feeling sick and bloated and re***y tired I went to the Drs, I had some blood test done and he arrange for me to have a scan, scan came back norm***y (at the time of the scan I was feeling fine) but bloods said I was re***y anemic, he put me on iron and told me to go back for repeat blood tests. The bloods showed improvement but still not happy he recommended I have an upper endoscopy to see why I was anemic. this showed me to have h pylori (which I have now been treated for) a hiatus hernia and gastritis. The consultant told me he could still see no reason for anemia and recommended the colonoscopy. The nurse told me to stop taking the iron as I needed to stop taking it to have the colonoscopy, After not taking iron for over 2 weeks I had another blood test, this came back as normal, borderline normal but normal *** the same. After looking on the internet I convinced myself that the H Pylori was to blame for how I'd been feeling and went to the Drs to see if I still needed the colonoscopy, he said the H pyolri wouldn't cause the anemia, but its possible the hernia could, he hummed a bit and said I probably wouldn't need it, I asked is it possible I'm just eating something that doesnt agree with me and that's making everything seem worse, he agreed it was possible but then said, " for the sake of a bit of discomfort its better to have it done, we still dont know why you became so anemic".......Has anyone else been in a similar situation? at the minute my stomach is fine and I feel ok, I wonder if he just didn't want to say no you dont need it in case there turned out to be something in the long run, has anyone else been in a similar situation? Its my stomach I was having the problem with, is there any need to look at the colon?
(after feeling round my stomach today the Dr said he still thinks its to do with my g*** bladder even though it came back clear, is it possible something just flares up, but when Ive had the tests I feel ok so it comes back as ok?)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Do I need the colonoscopy?

Hi...you don't NEED the c-scope, but I'd be more inclined to convince you to have it based on a few things. I don't know how old you are, but one thing that's possible is that you have some bleeding in your colon that's not noticed...maybe caused by a polyp, inflammation, etc.

If you have the all clear, you won't need one for a very long time.

Have you had your vitamin B-12 checked?

The worst part is the prep....and for me the best one to use is the gallon PEG solution.

It's your decision....if he suggested the barium enema initially, I'd say ask for a colonoscopy instead...the visual is the best way.

I have sedation, but stay awake to watch the monitor.

If you do go for it, let us know the outcome.

q

Last edited by quincy; 10-25-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
(female)

pebbleblue HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'm 44. I had my B-12 checked the other week, it was normal, everything has now come back normal..* just * I more than likely will have it done, more for piece of mind I think, I have thought about it and I know if I don't I'm going to be thinking "maybe I should have had it done, what if there's something wrong" haha I dont know about watching the monitor, I probably just close my eyes and try and go to a happy place I will let you know the outcome, thanks again

Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Yes, that's the other thing...what if.
have a nice breakfast afterward!
q

Last edited by quincy; 10-26-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Closed Thread