It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

wendiz HB User
Angry 12yr old vomiting for 24 days w/ constipation

Hi,

I would really appreciate your advice. My son is 12 years old and began vomiting about 3.5 weeks ago. He has been hospitalized twice for a total of 8 days for dehydration. He has had an MRI of his brain, an x ray of his stomach and an ultrasound. The MRI showed " non specific activity" that the doctor has said is vasculitis as his platelet counts have been low. The x ray and ultrasound both showed stools suggesting constipation and a slightly enlarged liver.

He is scheduled on Monday for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. On Wednesday he is scheduled for an upper GI with barium. I have been giving him Miralax 3x per day and still can't get him to have bowel movements more than a few hard small rock like stools. He vomits everything he attempts to eat in spite of zofran and Prevacid.

I am getting extremely frustrated with his pediatrician as she seems to be at a loss as to what is causing all of this to continue as long as it has. She still claims it was just a bad virus.

Have any if you ever heard of something like this? He is so miserable , in pain and obviously extremely hungry. I just don't know what to do!

Thank you in advance!

Wendi

The following user gives a hug of support to wendiz:
elizabeth62 (11-08-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: 12yr old vomiting for 24 days w/ constipation

While it could be a virus, I would see a gastro to get better info.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
wendiz (10-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
(female)

ShortAmy HB User

Take him to a children's hospital right away. At a children's hospital it will be a team of doctors who have seen pretty much everything AND they are experts on children.

My own daughter almost died from sepsis after we had been to the ER (they told us it was a virus, to take her home). I should have followed my gut instinct & taken her immediately to a children's hospital. She spent 2 weeks in PICU & had to have physical therapy to start walking again.

Listen to your own mothers instinct - if it's telling you that his pediatrician doesn't know what it is or how to treat it - then take him to someone who can do something to help.

The following user gives a hug of support to ShortAmy:
wendiz (10-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ShortAmy For This Useful Post:
wendiz (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendiz View Post
Hi,

I would really appreciate your advice. My son is 12 years old and began vomiting about 3.5 weeks ago. He has been hospitalized twice for a total of 8 days for dehydration. He has had an MRI of his brain, an x ray of his stomach and an ultrasound. The MRI showed " non specific activity" that the doctor has said is vasculitis as his platelet counts have been low. The x ray and ultrasound both showed stools suggesting constipation and a slightly enlarged liver.

He is scheduled on Monday for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. On Wednesday he is scheduled for an upper GI with barium. I have been giving him Miralax 3x per day and still can't get him to have bowel movements more than a few hard small rock like stools. He vomits everything he attempts to eat in spite of zofran and Prevacid.

I am getting extremely frustrated with his pediatrician as she seems to be at a loss as to what is causing all of this to continue as long as it has. She still claims it was just a bad virus.

Have any if you ever heard of something like this? He is so miserable , in pain and obviously extremely hungry. I just don't know what to do!

Thank you in advance!

Wendi
Try using a glycerin suppository to see if that will get him to move his bowels. That can take an up to an hour or more to work. Put vaseline around his anus and lot of vaseline on the tip of the suppository as it will help protect is skin and make it easier to pass the hard stool. If not you might need to use an oil based enema. Did the hospital ever give him an suppository or enema after the x-rays showed backed up stool ? If the suppository and enema don't work at home,then take him back to the emergency room and insist that they do manual disimpaction of the stool backed up and hardened in his rectum. I can tell you right now if you don't insist upon the disimpaction,he could end up with a bowel obstruction and that is life threatening. The ER doctors and nurses don't like to have to do this and they certainly won't volunteer to do the disimpaction but this could save your son's life ! I know that some of my friends family member was sent home from an ER with severe constipation and ended up with a bowel obstruction that ended up taking her life even after emergency surgery. Disimpactions of hard stool hurt a lot and is quite embarassing but is better than the alternative.
Maybe try getting him to eat a popsicle to help put back some fluid into him. Welch's sells popsicles made from fruit and fruit juice and not from concentrate. Pedialyte is good for restoring electrolytes and help to put fluid back into his body. The dehydration is making the constipation worse and the constipation is most likely causing him to throw up because he so backed with stool that there is nowhere for the food to go except to come back up. Sucking ice chips and slowly taking small sips of fluids about every 15 or 20 minutes to see if he can hold it down. Clear liquids like apple juice,flat soda like ginger ale,or 7-up,chicken broth without noodles or chicken,tea with no milk in it,jello. Probably 2-3 days of a clear liquid diet to rehydrate him and to make sure he isn't vomiting any more. I sure hope these suggestions work and your son is back to health in a couple of days !

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
(female)

Amasita HB User

Hi!
I saw this post and wanted to reply. I hope you and your son are doing better now. I think that trying sips of clear liquids is good to try to keep your son hydrated but if he continues to throw up then I would take him to the hospital for IV hydration. You said you have been trying Miralax... Is your son able to tolerate it without throwing up? Have you tried enemas? Since this has been going on for this long and your son is still having issues, it sounds like he needs to be admitted to a hospital. I am a pediatric nurse and have cared for plenty of kids with constipation issues, kids needing to be "cleaned out". The doctors may be right in that a virus may have caused this. Sometimes after a stomach bug, the intestines slow down so much they almost become paralyzed. And if what you are doing at home is not working, your son likely needs to be admitted to a hospital or given something stronger. We will somtimes place an NG tube (nasogastric tube- tube that goes in their nose and straight into their stomach) and give kids Golytely or multiple doses of miralax until the bowels are "cleaned out".

Hope this helps a little.

Amasita

Closed Thread