It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

zzx HB User
Question metamucil paradox

So I have a history of abdominal pains for years. I've seen a few doctors about this now, and they all say it's constipation, and tell me to try taking metamucil/benefiber even though I've never had straining or hard stools, nor did I ever have bowel movements less than once every three days...

So whatever, I'd think metamucil is pretty much harmless because it's just natural fiber, so I thought I'd take it to see if it helps at all, and if not go back to the doctor and hopefully they will go to the next step.

However, the text on the back of the metamucil container clearly reads:
DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE:
  • ABDOMINAL PAIN, FEAVER, NAUSEA OR VOMITING
  • A SUDDEN CHANGE IN BOWEL HABITS PERSISTING FOR 2 WEEKS
  • UNDIAGNOSED RECTAL BLEEDING
  • FAILURE TO DEFECATE FOLLOWING THE USE OF ANOTHER LAXATIVE.
    [...]

(emphasis mine)

The doctor tells me to take this because of my abdominal pain, yet metamucil says not to take it if I have abdominal pain. Thoughts?

Also why does the text warn about this? For example, could it be because there is gluten in it (don't know if there is or not) so it could worsen celiac disease (a symptom of celiac disease is abdominal pain)?

Last edited by zzx; 11-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User
Re: metamucil paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzx View Post
So I have a history of abdominal pains for years. I've seen a few doctors about this now, and they all say it's constipation, and tell me to try taking metamucil/benefiber even though I've never had straining or hard stools, nor did I ever have bowel movements less than once every three days...

So whatever, I'd think metamucil is pretty much harmless because it's just natural fiber, so I thought I'd take it to see if it helps at all, and if not go back to the doctor and hopefully they will go to the next step.

However, the text on the back of the metamucil container clearly reads:
DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE:
  • ABDOMINAL PAIN, FEAVER, NAUSEA OR VOMITING
  • A SUDDEN CHANGE IN BOWEL HABITS PERSISTING FOR 2 WEEKS
  • UNDIAGNOSED RECTAL BLEEDING
  • FAILURE TO DEFECATE FOLLOWING THE USE OF ANOTHER LAXATIVE.
    [...]

(emphasis mine)

The doctor tells me to take this because of my abdominal pain, yet metamucil says not to take it if I have abdominal pain. Thoughts?

Also why does the text warn about this? For example, could it be because there is gluten in it (don't know if there is or not) so it could worsen celiac disease (a symptom of celiac disease is abdominal pain)?
Because some abdominal pain is caused by ruptured appendix,gall bladder,bowel obstruction,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

zzx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipfleury View Post
Because some abdominal pain is caused by ruptured appendix,gall bladder,bowel obstruction,
Your reply seems to be cut off? Is the implication that taking metamucil could possibly worsen one of those conditions?

Anyways I called metamucil and they said it is indeed because:
If you have abdominal pain it could indicate some other problem that could be worsened by taking metamucil.

They said the label they had on their copy of the product said "talk to your doctor first if you have" instead of "do not use if you have".

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User

Metamucil is psyllium seed husk fiber. It is gluten free. It becomes mucilaginous in water. It aids digestion for providing bulk to move food through digestion in a timely manner.

The warning on it to avoid in cases of pain means don't take for pain UNLESS a doctor recommended it, because (if a doctor hasn't looked at you first) the problem could be something that fiber actually makes worse. That's what flipfleury was explaining with the list of potential reasons to not take it (without proper medical advise). You don't need to worry about those problems though because your doctor would have noticed them and not recommended Metamucil for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to mc7 For This Useful Post:
lowtones (01-12-2013)
Closed Thread

Tags
constipation