It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User
My only symptom is burping?

Hi everyone

I've posted a few times on the foot problems boards, but never here. For the past 3 months, I have been constantly burping. I don't have any stomach pain, and I only occasionally have minor acid-y feelings in my chest. By the end of the day, I will start to hurt & feel sick sometimes, but it almost seems like it's just that all of my organs are exhausted from burping.

I've been to the doctor a few times, I've had a negative H pylori test, and I'm waiting on more blood work (& having an ultrasound Tues). I have been on prilosec for over 2 months, and the past few weeks I have started using GasX as well.

Anyone have any suggestions on what this could be? I see my gastro again on the 30th, but I'm having foot surgery on the 6th, so if all my tests are negative we won't be able to do a lot more for another 2 months & I'll be suffering with this condition not knowing what it is.

Additional notes- food seems to make it worse, but I've tried eliminating different things (dairy, veggies, etc) & it doesn't necessarily seem to be linked to a particular type of food that I've noticed- just that eating aggravates it.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated

Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: My only symptom is burping?

Initially, you need to have things visually scoped, and that would include an upper endoscopy. Burping is normal..chronic burping isn't.

You obviously have a reflux issue, how bad would be determined by a scope.

Could you have a hiatal hernia possibly? That could put pressure on the stomach and possibly hinder its emptying ability or cause reflux.

You might try taking a digestive enzyme to help food digest a bit quicker..

Curious what your diet looks like including drinks, what supplements you take, do you chew gum, is it worse in the evening, etc?

It's good you're getting testing done...are you being seen by a GI?

q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
(male)

mc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB Usermc7 HB User
Re: My only symptom is burping?

Another little thing to add to quincy's great points, could you possibly be consuming more carbonate than your body wants? (It's in most baked goods. It's non-nutritional. It's just for texture.)

Has you diet changed in any way? Have you limited/eliminated acid foods, maybe? Oh, I know: it's a side effect of the Prilosec. Are you taking that for acid reflux? It is a stomach acid inhibitor. That would completely explain the burping. Low digestive acid makes the carbon dioxide form (from carbonates) in digestion very slowly. This results in a prolonged period of burping. (Whereas with more acidic digestion, the same amount of gas comes out but it happens so quickly, it seems like much less.) You might find that taking somewhat less prilosec helps improve the burping issue (as well as your digestion overall).

I also think digestive enzymes are generally a great idea for many/most small digestive problems including this. Low digestive acid also lowers (your natural) digestive enzyme activity, so you've got another reason you may find digestive improvement with enzymes. Digestive enzymes make digestion much more rapid and complete than it might otherwise be. They make food completely liquify, so that any gas that forms can escape rapidly & easily rather than only escape slowly (for prolonged burping after eating).

You didn't mention an issue with acid reflux, but since that's probably why you're taking Prilosec. I might offer a bit of advice about it.

It helps very much to go to sleep a bit hungry. Do not eat ANY food within 3 to 8 hours of going to bed. If your stomach has food in it, stay vertical, do not recline or lie down. The pain/damage from acid reflux is from abnormal relaxation of the lower esophageal sphincter (the throat-stomach valve). This is worst when lying down. The contents of the stomach travel back up into the esophagus and damage it (by partially digesting it).

Here is a different approach to treating acid reflux that might or might not be able to help you. (Always talk to doctor before changing any medication.) Calcium helps increase the tension of that esophageal sphincter. Probiotic dairy products (yogurt) are probably the best source of calcium. Improving tension of that valve prevents acid reflux (and in a more intelligent/helpful manner than cutting acid out of digestion wholesale like PPIs do.) Also besides directly taking enzymes, probiotics also increase digestive enzyme levels (in the intestine), so they're a double/triple win (for also increasing good bacteria in the gut too).

IF you find better fasting before bed and increasing dietary calcium are sufficiently protecting you from reflux (for a long time), you might want to taper down a bit on your PPI, but talk to your doc first to be sure that's safe for your condition(s). Depending on your other conditions, it could be dangerous, so definitely ask your doctor first.

Oh and a final thing for acid reflux, you want to avoid Mylanta and any magnesium supplements as these increase relaxation of the valve that's too relaxed already. These are known to make acid reflux worse.

Sorry for the verbosity & length of this. I hope it's all clear and simple and doesn't feel like information overload. This is just what I've learned about acid reflux from talking with friends who had it and a bit of reading about it. I had excess burping myself for a couple months. In my case, it was from antacids.

Closed Thread