It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
(female)

whitsmom HB User
Could this be lactose intolerance?

On Thanksgiving Day, I developed horrible stomach cramps; they started in my upper abdomen and went in waves down to my lower abdomen. My upper abdomen was extremely bloated and painful to even touch. The cramps would subside, then return every few minutes, much like labor pains. After an hour, or so, I vomited, which relieved it a bit. However, after another hour, or so, they came back; not as painfully, but they were back. I went to bed with a heating pad and slept until about midnight, then woke up again with pain and vomiiting. After that, I slept until about 7am. When I woke up, I wasn't really hungry, or in alot of pain; just small spasms occasionally. I did have diarrhea most of the day, however. Didn't eat much all day. That night, I developed some appetite and ate a little. By Saturday, I still had some spasms, but felt fairly normal, except for my insides actually felt sore. I assume because of the spasms. It has gotten better each day since and today, I feel fairly normal.

I had this exact thing happen last year, right after Christmas. Actually ended up in the ER that time because the pain was horrible. The "doctor" diagnosed nausea and vomiting. REALLY? I got pain meds while in the ER, but he sent me home with nothing to help it.

I have very minor episodes of this once in awhile, but these two stand out for obvious reasons!

Anyway, I talked to my doctor about it this morning and she gave me a prescription for Bentyl and a medication for GERD. After leaving her office, I stopped for a mocha and bacon, egg and cheese bagel at Mac's. Approximately an hour later, I started cramping again; not as painfully, but the same general feeling. As I think back to last Christmas, I had eggnog and at Thanksgiving, cheesecake and ranch dip. Is it possible to have a problem with lactose intolerence only on occasion, or when I eat more of it than normal?

After starting the cramping so soon after I had dairy this morning, it certainly has me wondering if this might be my problem. Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply