It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

dassy HB User
Exclamation HELP: Intolerance to all foods but sweets?

Hello, everybody. I have a very complicated and difficult situation that I need help with. Actually, it's my wife who's suffering. I understand that the best thing to do is for her to see a doctor but I just wanted to get some opinions here as well.

For almost a decade now, my wife seems to have developed a gradual intolerance to an increasing number of foods. She was raised on junk food and was a compulsive eater who gained a lot of weight in her teens. She eventually controlled her eating and lost the weight but I'm thinking her previous binge eating of unhealthy foods might have something to do with her current problems. She's 35 now and her diet is very restricted. She still loves to eat but finds that many foods cause her a variety of digestive problems.

She has a problem with greasy foods and her reactions sound like a possible gallbladder disorder (reflux, gas, diarrhea). I've read about the recommended diets for people with gallbladder problems but unfortunately, she has a problem with those foods as well.

She can't eat raw vegetables except spinach and occasionally cabbage and lettuce (if it's fresh and clean from the garden). They really irritate her stomach. If she has vegetables, they have to be cooked very well and even then they cause her to get gas and bloating.

High fiber grains are a problem, although she can eat white french and sourdough bread (but they can cause constipation). Peanut butter irritates her which might have to do with the grease.

She loves fruit but it irritates her stomach as well. It seems the more acidic fruits are the most problem. Citrus fruits and melons are not tolerated.

Spices irritate her stomach, too. Cinnamon, pepper and chili powder have to be kept to very small quantities. She can't have garlic or onion at all as well as bell peppers or other potent foods. Vinegar-based foods like pickles and relish are out as well.

Overall, the foods she tolerates best are sweets (no chocolate, though). Pancakes, waffles, cake, cookies, graham crackers and marshmallows actually seem to sooth her stomach. She's found that eating vanilla ice cream along with greasy foods helps her tolerate the grease more. It's like she has to coat her stomach with the sweet ice cream to help with the grease. Obviously, living only on sweets is not an option but her body has such a problem with everything else. She's found baking soda helps with the grease intolerance as well.

So her triggers seem to be grease, acidity, high fiber, raw vegetables, most fruits, spices and potent foods. She tolerates grain-based sweets best as long as they're not high in fiber or fried (like donuts). Sweets are actually soothing to her system, it seems.

In addition to reflux, gas, bloating, diarrhea and general indigestion, she has another strange reaction that I've haven't seen discussed before. When her stomach has a bad reaction, it makes a liquid sloshing sound like when you've drunk too much water. When you press on her abdomen, it sometimes sounds like a water bed! I'm not sure if it's the stomach itself or the intestines. She finds that drinking too much liquid exacerbates this problem, so she doesn't keep herself hydrated like she should. Even plain water can irritate her stomach.

So what would all of this point to? I've heard of something called "total food intolerance," although I'm not sure if her problem is quite that bad. Could food allergies be involved? I'm pretty sure she has gall bladder problems and an acid stomach. Maybe she has bacteria imbalance in which case probiotics might help? What about the sloshing reaction? I'm concerned this means she could have some kind of obstruction that's causing her system to get backed up. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by dassy; 12-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread