It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Lightbulb Colon removal surgery?? !!! ??

I used/abused prescription and over-the-counter laxatives for over 10 years (enemas too). They do not work for me anymore.

Abdominal CT scan & xrays are normal. I had the first two xrays of colon-functioning tests; 3rd & last xray is day after tomorrow.

I don't think this test will show that colon/intestinal muscles are not contracting.

GI suggested twice at visit last week that he might refer me to a surgeon for colon removal. Obviously a last resort.

Does this sound like an option for me? Will the GI refer me if all tests, including colon-functioning xrays are "normal??"

At this point, I would welcome the surgery as I cannot live like this!!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Colon removal surgery?? !!! ??

You didn't mention your symptoms or describe what you cannot live with anymore. Colon removal is very drastic surgery and involves an ileostomy, an abdominal opening where liquid feces comes out and has to be captured in a bag, that is a permanent part of your existence and requires daily care. Please figure out some other way to solve your problems! Laxative abuse can result in a very sluggish colon causing constipation, but there are ways to gradually retrain your bowel to work right in time without doing something drastic like surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
(female)

I have a small bowel movement every 3 weeks or so. Loss of appetite due to the awful bloating. If I drank 3 bottles of magnesium citrate, it would give me minimal diahrrea at best. I know it is a serious surgery--I cried when the GI suggested it.

I just want to know what the likelihood the doctor will actually refer me to a surgeon if all the tests are normal. It would not necessarily require removal of colon. There is a surgery that only removes the part of colon that holds water.

I would love to "re-train" my colon. Nobody has told me how that is possible.

Last edited by NOTSONUTSO; 12-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

If your tests are normal, I doubt anyone would recommend surgery. Have you ever been checked for gluten intolerance/celiac disease? Are you on medications that cause severe constipation? There are meds that promote peristalsis that are not laxatives, some that prevent spasm in GI tract, fiber preps that can help produce more frequent, normal stools, and dietary changes that can help. Regular exercise and plenty of water is necessary. A dietician who has a special interest in GI disorders could be helpful, as well as this board on IBS and constipation issues. Magnesium supplementation often helps regulate GI movement too.

Last edited by ladybud; 12-12-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added Mg info

Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
(female)

Yes, I have been on percocet for years & was recently prescribed fentanyl patch. I was prescribed Relistor which did not work after 5 injections. It is for people whose constipation is caused by opiods. My problem is caused by the years of laxative abuse although I'm sure the pain pills don't help.

I was prescribed a medication that starts with an "A," but it gave me bad side effects, lots of severe gas pain but no b/m.

The GI recommended surgery knowing CT scan w/without contrast, was normal. I guess I will just wait & see what he says.

Closed Thread